Thread: Tea Party savaged in interview

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Tea Party savaged in interview

This is excellent:

Staff
    Interesting that a so called liberal MSNBC has better commentators and programming than Fox. Well, interesting but not at all surprising.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Interesting that a so called liberal MSNBC has better commentators and programming than Fox. Well, interesting but not at all surprising.
    The fact that so many Tea Party people don't see through Palin (or Beck) and other neocons is so depressing.

I've come to accept that people have to change before a movement can develop and succeed.

What made the American Revolution work was that there were enough people with the "freedom mindset" to make it possible.

There are not enough such people today.

Most of the Tea Party People are Big Government people - so long as it's their kind of Big Government. They don't object to the concept as such. This is why you never hear Tea Party speakers talk about such things as abolishing personal property taxes on real estate (one of the most egregious tools of enslavement and corporatism ever conceived) or making Social Security voluntary... or pulling US troops out of all foreign countries and closing down the entire "defense" apparatus and returning this nation to a peaceful, mind-your-own-business basis.

They want their empire, their flag-humping militarism; their Social Security check and their government job.

They just want "lower taxes" - which is like expecting a train to locomote without a locomotive. But they don't see it...

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The fact that so many Tea Party people don't see through Palin (or Beck) and other neocons is so depressing.

I've come to accept that people have to change before a movement can develop and succeed.

What made the American Revolution work was that there were enough people with the "freedom mindset" to make it possible.

There are not enough such people today.

Most of the Tea Party People are Big Government people - so long as it's their kind of Big Government. They don't object to the concept as such. This is why you never hear Tea Party speakers talk about such things as abolishing personal property taxes on real estate (one of the most egregious tools of enslavement and corporatism ever conceived) or making Social Security voluntary... or pulling US troops out of all foreign countries and closing down the entire "defense" apparatus and returning this nation to a peaceful, mind-your-own-business basis.

They want their empire, their flag-humping militarism; their Social Security check and their government job.

They just want "lower taxes" - which is like expecting a train to locomote without a locomotive. But they don't see it...

I know. I would not be against government transfer payments if they left you alone in other ways.

The Tea People and the Republicans seem to think that simply cutting taxes will get the economy going. That is like feeding coffee to a cancer patient. We have had 5 separate tax cuts since the reagan administration and have gone through 4 recessions. Although we have never "cut spending," I don't understand how "cutting spennnnnding" is supposed to stimulate economic growth.

My chiropractor has a saying - "when the fish is sick, change the water." That doesn't mean add more water, it doesn't mean take away water. Of course, changing the water involves a wholesale change in our industrial policy and to our tax system. It looks increasingly unlikely that it will happen in our lifetimes.

Therefore, I have decided for the first time ever, that I am not going to vote.

"Therefore, I have decided for the first time ever, that I am not going to vote."

Excellent!

If we could get enough people to do this, it would be a real wake-up call. The system would be obviously illegitimate. The sham of "consent of the governed" would be exposed.

It would scare the shit out of the Palins of the world.... their con would be in jeopardy.

What happened to The Tea Party? O'Donnell, Angle, Rand Paul...

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

The "cut taxes" people seem to think that no matter how low the marginal rate is, we are perpetually at "Point B" on the Laffer Curve:

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    The "cut taxes" people seem to think that no matter how low the marginal rate is, we are perpetually at "Point B" on the Laffer Curve:

The other side thinks that we are at point A on the Laffer Curve.

I say throw away the Laffer curve and put in a system of wage adjusted tariffs on imported goods. If you import a car from, say Japan, Germany, the UK, France or Italy... no tariff. If you import a car from Korea or Mexico... tariff. China... tariff.

That applies to any other thing that we import.

Staff
    You got that right. What a putrid bunch. Although O'Donnell is good looking.

It's what it it always has been - Republicanism repackaged.

There was a Libertarian groundswell back in 2008, centered on Ron Paul. It was co-opted by the Tea Party movement, funded by rich Republicans, controlled by rich Republicans.

You knew it was a sham the moment when Sarah Palin was invited to speak.