Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Christian nonsense--what most Americans really believe!

  1. #1
    Senior Member DonTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Posts
    663

    Christian nonsense--what most Americans really believe!

    It seems this is one issue where I think much like the majority of Americans.

    See
    here.

    "(RNS) When asked about Christianity's recent contributions to society, Americans cited more negatives than benefits, according to a new survey."

    -Don-

  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,748
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    It seems this is one issue where I think much like the majority of Americans.

    See
    here.

    "(RNS) When asked about Christianity's recent contributions to society, Americans cited more negatives than benefits, according to a new survey."

    -Don-
    One of the many problems with Christianity, of course, is that Christians can't seem to agree on what Christianity actually is!

    Some say it demands the sort of violent, exclusionary treatment mentioned in the article; others say not. No one can "prove" who's right, though, because the Bible itself is so vague and contradictory. It can literally mean almost anything the person reading it chooses to "believe" it says.

    This is part of its evil genius!

  3. #3
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,421
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    One of the many problems with Christianity, of course, is that Christians can't seem to agree on what Christianity actually is!

    ............ It can literally mean almost anything the person reading it chooses to "believe" it says.

    This is part of its evil genius!
    I suppose that one of the problems for 'Christians' is that so many people have generated so many different versions of the original texts - each written by a person with his own particular agenda - that the current bastardised scripts bear little or no relationship to anything that previously existed and defy belief anyway. Or something like that.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  4. #4
    Senior Member DonTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    One of the many problems with Christianity, of course, is that Christians can't seem to agree on what Christianity actually is!
    True, but the rest of us can. IMAO, a Christian is anybody who believes that they are. No exceptions.

    And even that is enough to leave us both out.

    -Don-

  5. #5
    Senior Member DonTom's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Posts
    663
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    One of the many problems with Christianity, of course, is that Christians can't seem to agree on what Christianity actually is!

    Some say it demands the sort of violent, exclusionary treatment mentioned in the article; others say not. No one can "prove" who's right, though, because the Bible itself is so vague and contradictory. It can literally mean almost anything the person reading it chooses to "believe" it says.

    This is part of its evil genius!
    You mean like this cute example?

    -Don-

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,748
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I suppose that one of the problems for 'Christians' is that so many people have generated so many different versions of the original texts - each written by a person with his own particular agenda - that the current bastardised scripts bear little or no relationship to anything that previously existed and defy belief anyway. Or something like that.

    Ken.
    Exactly.

    And of course the basic doctrines themselves (such as a monotheistic God who has a son; who is omnipotent but can't find Adam and Eve hiding in the garden, etc. etc.) are contradictory and incoherent.

    Reason and logic have no place, which is why religious people tend hold such irrational, illogical views.

    Just beeeeeee-lieve!

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,748
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    True, but the rest of us can. IMAO, a Christian is anybody who believes that they are. No exceptions.

    And even that is enough to leave us both out.

    -Don-
    I always get a laugh out of Christians who say (for instance) that Mormons aren't Christian!

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,748
    Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    You mean like this cute example?

    -Don-
    Precisely!

    But Christians will only "blank out," ignore this sort of thing - and denounce you and me for apostasy and such.

    200 years ago, we'd have been dunked or had stones stacked on our chests until we saw Jeebus.

Similar Threads

  1. Its nonsense really - but fun.
    By Ken in forum Video clips
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2010, 06:10 AM
  2. Religious nonsense 2 the max!
    By DonTom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-07-2009, 09:47 AM
  3. Religious nonsense kills 11 year old.
    By DonTom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-27-2008, 03:42 PM
  4. More Mormon nonsense WRT gays
    By DonTom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 48
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 05:29 AM
  5. For Gail - -Gay marriage & religious nonsense
    By DonTom in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 63
    Last Post: 11-01-2007, 06:06 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •