Thread: "low sulfur" diesel and off-road vehicles

Hybrid View

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

"low sulfur" diesel and off-road vehicles

I didn't know that red-dyed "off-road" diesel is also mandated by law to be "low sulfur" diesel (15 ppm) and so didn't realize that I probably ought to buy additive (http://www.powerservice.com/dfs/5) for my tractor to prevent excess wear as well as improve cold start performance.

I got hipped to this by DieselEverything - the Moderator of this board. He says pretty much any diesel built before 1997 probably needs the additive.

Jeasy peasy!

Having to add additives is becoming a real hassle, courtesy of the government.

I already have to add ZDDP to the oil at every oil change in my old Pontiac, because flat tappet cams need the zinc and other additives that have been removed or nearly removed from modern motor oils, thanks to emissions requirements. (Diesel Shell Rotella "T" oil is supposed to be pretty good for older cars, by the way... )

And the "gas" we buy is really gasahol - with 5-10 percent ethanol. This brew can cause many problems in older engines not designed for alcohol-laced fuels, from rough running to serious damage from corrosion of carburetor components to deterioration of seals and gaskets.

Thanks, Uncle Sam!

Actually anything made before 2007 should use an additive with good lubrication in it. (like Slickdiesel)

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Actually anything made before 2007 should use an additive with good lubrication in it. (like Slickdiesel)
    I use Royal Purple with Comp Cams ZDD additive in my Trans-Am.

I am going to get the additive for diesel you mentioned next time I am at the Tractor Store (they stock it).

My tractor is an early '80s-era gray market Mitsubishi marketed here under the "Satoh" nameplate. Mine's the Beaver model; 4WD with PTO an three point hitch.

It's a great little tractor and I want it to last, so I plan to use the fuel additive from here on out!