Thread: It's not the schools...

It's not the schools...

it's the parents. Who are responsible for the culture in which their children are raised.

http://danielmiessler.com/blog/if-th...poorly-as-well

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    it's the parents. Who are responsible for the culture in which their children are raised.

http://danielmiessler.com/blog/if-th...poorly-as-well

Chip H.
    No, it's the genetics; specifically, the significantly lower (by 10-15 points) average black IQ relative to whites, Asians, etc.

This has been known for a long time,but to mention it openly in the mainstream media or academia is career suicide.

See what happened to Watson, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    No, it's the genetics; specifically, the significantly lower (by 10-15 points) average black IQ relative to whites, Asians, etc.

This has been known for a long time,but to mention it openly in the mainstream media or academia is career suicide.

See what happened to Watson, for instance.
    I do not necessarily see the correlation between IQ and performance in High School. Effort and work are important in how students perform.

I think (no proof, just my opinion) that if students are willing to put the effort, most of them are capable of doing well in school and learn. Some may take more time, but eventually most if not all are capable meeting what is needed to graduate from high school.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I do not necessarily see the correlation between IQ and performance in High School. Effort and work are important in how students perform.

I think (no proof, just my opinion) that if students are willing to put the effort, most of them are capable of doing well in school and learn. Some may take more time, but eventually most if not all are capable meeting what is needed to graduate from high school.
    Well, the ability to think - to assimilate concepts and apply them to particulars - is a function of intelligence. No matter how much effort a person of low intelligence puts into it, he will never be able to (for example) understand complex mathematics. Not everyone can grow up to be president - or get into college (and graduate).

The dilemma is this:

An advanced, technical society such as ours requires higher average intelligence of the average person, just for him to be able to function. People with IQs significantly below "average intelligence" (an IQ under 100) are at a severe disadvantage in that they lack the basic capacity to function at more than a menial level. This, in turns, breeds resentment of those capable of operating at a higher level. It is also renders pointless any effort to elevate the lower-IQ population, because (to be blunt) you can't fix stupid.

And on average, blacks are closer to stupid - literally. Their average IQ of 85 is very close to the level defining mild retardation. Not all blacks, of course - but a great many of them.

Meanwhile, most whites (and Asians) test at IQ 100 or more. They thus have the capacity to graduate from high school, even college - and to function in an advanced, high-tech society. Hence, they tend to succeed - while blacks tend not to.

And it is this fact which explains the persistent "achievement gap" - as well as much of the social pathology associated with blacks.

Pleasant? No, of course not.

But it's reality - and not "racism."

Graduating from a US high school doesn't require you to be a genius. You just have to apply a middlin' bit of effort. And they're not doing it because their parents aren't pushing them to. Cue rant on single-parent households, households where both parents have to work, etc.

Here's a difference:
    Little Junior scores a 98 on a test.
    Asian/Indian family: "What happened to the other 2%? Didn't you answer the extra-credit question?"
    White family: "Good job!"
    Black/Hispanic family: "Are you trying to act white or something?"

Chip H.

Graduating from a US high school doesn't require you to be a genius. You just have to apply a middlin' bit of effort. And they're not doing it because their parents aren't pushing them to. Cue rant on single-parent households, households where both parents have to work, etc.

Here's a difference:
    Asian/Indian family: "What happened to the other 2%? Didn't you answer the extra-credit question?"

Chip H.
    Sounds like my dad.

I think you hit the nail on the head. If the family does not place a high value on education, then odds are the child will not place a high value on education.
    ================================================== ==
    Higher IQ may make it easier to achieve more, but without effort the higher IQ is not enough.

A mustang can easily travel at 100+ mph, but if the driver is content to drive at 60 mph then the car will never reach its full potential. A Yugo may never reach 100+ mph, but if the driver tries to drive it to the max the driver may get the Yugo to 85-90 mph. Not as good as the Mustang could achieve, but better than what this single Mustang is achieving.
    ================================================== ===
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric
    An advanced, technical society . . . population, because (to be blunt) you can't fix stupid.
    This one reason I think it has been short sighted to move manufacturing and other non technical jobs out of the US.

Not everyone can be a [doctor, lawyer, teacher, plumber, electrician, engineer, etc.]. However, there is still a need for good paying jobs that can be done in the US. If people do not have money then how are they able to afford the goods and services from the US and from outsides the US?
    ================================================== ===
    People and our government also need to live within our means.

Even though I may want to buy everything, I can not afford everything. I need to save for what is needed and forget the rest.

If more people did this, then our country as a whole would be better.
    (assuming people in gov't did not work to steal from the people through making the currency worthless or other means.)
    Last edited by Mithrandir; 11-13-2010 at 05:39 PM. Reason: could instead of good
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Here's a difference:

Chip H.
    Well, the lower IQ thing also correlates with (as regards the parents) inability to grasp the importance of such things; of cause and effect. Less-smart people tend to live for the moment; they do not delay gratification for the sake of a down-the-road goal.

My point is, it's getting tedious not admitting openly what we all know. That blacks have a unique pathology that seems impossible to remediate, the world over.

Yet we continue to pretend otherwise, to blame it on "lack of opportunity," or "racism."

That's bull.

There's a reason why Africa, alone, was literally still in the Stone Age just a few hundred years ago, while every other race of people had developed written languages, technology and so on. "Racism" cannot explain why Africa was less advanced in AD 1500 than Europe or Asia was 1,000 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    My point is, it's getting tedious not admitting openly what we all know. That blacks have a unique pathology that seems impossible to remediate, the world over.

Yet we continue to pretend otherwise, to blame it on "lack of opportunity," or "racism."

There's a reason why Africa, alone, was literally still in the Stone Age just a few hundred years ago, while every other race of people had developed written languages, technology and so on. "Racism" cannot explain why Africa was less advanced in AD 1500 than Europe or Asia was 1,000 years earlier.
    I agree that I do not see how racism can explain Africa in 1500 AD.

(I am assuming you are referring to sub-Sahara African cultures and not including the Mediterranean cultures.)

There is opportunity, but it may not necessarily start as CEO of a fortune 500 company. It may require doing work that is not pleasant, easy and/or fun.
    ================================================== =====
    As an aside it is interesting to see how geography influences what a civilization will build. The ancient Greeks could have built pyramids as the Egyptians did. However, pyramids with mountains behind them in Greece are not as visually impressive as pyramids that stand out in the Egyptian desert.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    I agree that I do not see how racism can explain Africa in 1500 AD.

(I am assuming you are referring to sub-Sahara African cultures and not including the Mediterranean cultures.)

There is opportunity, but it may not necessarily start as CEO of a fortune 500 company. It may require doing work that is not pleasant, easy and/or fun.
    ================================================== =====
    As an aside it is interesting to see how geography influences what a civilization will build. The ancient Greeks could have built pyramids as the Egyptians did. However, pyramids with mountains behind them in Greece are not as visually impressive as pyramids that stand out in the Egyptian desert.
    Yes, sub-Saharan Africa (that is, "black Africa). The Egyptians were not black. They built incredible things; had an enduring culture (it lasted for more than 1,000 years), language, art and philosophy. Things black Africa still hadn't managed as recently as 1900. The only reason black Africa has any advanced technology, written language, etc., today is because of the influence of other cultures and peoples. It is literally true that had "whitey" not entered black Africa, and black Africa had been left unmolested by outsiders, black Africans would today still be living in thatch huts, with no written language, bathing in cow piss and ignorant of the wheel.

Again, this isn't "racism" - it's reality.

Watson said so publicly - and was ruined as a consequence. A man of genius thrown under the bus to pacify the hurt feelings of "African Americans."

Tough nuts, I say. The truth may hurt, but to not face the truth and deal with it is a particularly dangerous form of insanity.

Chip H.
    That hits it right in the head. It's like those families value stupidity and ignorance, don't learn english, wait for goverment handouts, have others pick up your mess. When these families have kids, they pretty much become cholos and gangbangers, they even bring those aspects into their daily lives and to their jobs. I deal with that reality everyday at my job with the wholesale customers; thug coasts through high school, a less then reputible repair shop hires thug because he is a thug, thug brings attitude with him on his job. Then I have to deal with it when his shop needs a part and it's sickening and infuriating, unfortunately that is the norm. This is why California is beyond repair.

I know this because my dad was half hispanic and half white. My dad was tough but fair. However I knew if I did something really stupid, there would be hell to pay.... not that I lived in fear of my dad, far from it; but I knew he wouldn't be affraid to discipline me as he saw fit. He also valued hard work and effort, he preached the values of work ethic, but again he was far from "all work and no play". Plus he did the best thing for me, gave me my love for the American muscle car and my sense of humor. Not your prototypical hispanic family and I'm thankful for it. So let's see here; I currently hold a job that pays the bills, I'm getting into shape, own a car that I desire instead of a car that I can afford, I'm single with no kids and my career that I want is not out of reach, certainly no cake walk, but obtainable even in these difficult times, plus I have a plan to get out of the wretched state of California. I have a future. As opposed to:

Working in a dead end job with gangbangers and thugs with no future that does not pay the bills, having a chemical dependency, driving a rusty broken down minivan, knocking up a total slut that sleeps around and being a fat slob with no future. Being stuck in this state forever. You bet your ass I'm thankful for my dad rasing me the way he did!

Quote Originally Posted by Mustang_Boy View Post
    That hits it right in the head. It's like those families value stupidity and ignorance, don't learn english, wait for goverment handouts, have others pick up your mess. When these families have kids, they pretty much become cholos and gangbangers, they even bring those aspects into their daily lives and to their jobs. I deal with that reality everyday at my job with the wholesale customers; thug coasts through high school, a less then reputible repair shop hires thug because he is a thug, thug brings attitude with him on his job. Then I have to deal with it when his shop needs a part and it's sickening and infuriating, unfortunately that is the norm. This is why California is beyond repair.

I know this because my dad was half hispanic and half white. My dad was tough but fair. However I knew if I did something really stupid, there would be hell to pay.... not that I lived in fear of my dad, far from it; but I knew he wouldn't be affraid to discipline me as he saw fit. He also valued hard work and effort, he preached the values of work ethic, but again he was far from "all work and no play". Plus he did the best thing for me, gave me my love for the American muscle car and my sense of humor. Not your prototypical hispanic family and I'm thankful for it. So let's see here; I currently hold a job that pays the bills, I'm getting into shape, own a car that I desire instead of a car that I can afford, I'm single with no kids and my career that I want is not out of reach, certainly no cake walk, but obtainable even in these difficult times, plus I have a plan to get out of the wretched state of California. I have a future. As opposed to:

Working in a dead end job with gangbangers and thugs with no future that does not pay the bills, having a chemical dependency, driving a rusty broken down minivan, knocking up a total slut that sleeps around and being a fat slob with no future. Being stuck in this state forever. You bet your ass I'm thankful for my dad rasing me the way he did!
    Amen. Well-said!

Blacks only reinforce the stereotype when they mock people who are quiet and civil; who study and try to better themselves - and so on - as "acting white."

Well, yeah. As opposed to behaving like a thug. An ignorant, illiterate asshole who never stops to think that ignorant, illiterate assholes almost invariably end up poor, in jail and dead at an early age. That's something to shoot for, all right.