Thread: Pulled over

Pulled over

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

-Mussolini

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Those guys missed a few survival Key Points:

* Never do that kind of shit in a Ford GT.

* If you do do that kind of shit in a Ford GT, get the fuck off the road and out of sight - disappear - immediately.

They stayed on the road way too long.

And take it from me - an honest Injun, real-deal Super Speeder who has successfully run from cops - you stand a much better chance of doing it and getting away with in something that isn't the only fucking car like it in the state!

Was that real?

If it was, it must've been years ago. Today, Bam would've been Tazed for doing what he did... and looking like he did, doing it!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Those guys missed a few survival Key Points:

* If you do do that kind of shit in a Ford GT, get the fuck off the road and out of sight - disappear - immediately.

They stayed on the road way too long.

And take it from me - an honest Injun, real-deal Super Speeder who has successfully run from cops - you stand a much better chance of doing it and getting away with in something that isn't the only fucking car like it in the state!
    They had poor situational awareness. They had no idea how far the next exit was away. Obviously, it was a lot further than they thought.

And I agree totally - in a Ford GT, the cop is going to pull you over in any case, just because he can, and also he wants a look at the car. Better to have been doing this in a V6 Mustang, which has the power/weight ratio to get away from a Crown Vic, but doesn't look like a race car.

Chip H.

Yeah it really seemed they had the shit all planned out too!

They had the CB, cell phone, radar detector, and a few friends behind.

Wish they would have recorded the cop and the rest of it.

-Mussolini

What they really needed was a semi with a trailer (like in "Smokey & the Bandit") to drive into and disappear.

It sounds all hot-shoe to take something like a Ford GT and drive it like that on the highway, but the problem is (a) you will be noticed like a stripper at the Vatican and (b) once you are noticed, you're screwed, because it's likely you are the only exotic on the road within a 50 mile radius. You have to disappear. You can't just lose the cop, hide for awhile and then go back about your business - because every cop in the county (state) will be looking for you and - worse - there's no plausible deniability once you're spotted. You can't say, "that wasn't me." Riiiiiight. It was the other guy in the $250,000 Ford GT.

But in a nondescript Mustang like Chip mentioned? Hell, they're a dime a dozen and it could have been anyone...

When I get an exotic to drive, I rarely do much with it - nothing beyond ordinary minor speeding, anyhow. Because I am smart enough to have learned from experience that such cars are like a red cape is to a bull to any cop. You will be noticed (this is the real main point of owning an exotic, in my opinion). And if you are doing anything illegal, you will get pulled over.

They only had half a plan.

They had planned up to the point of identifying if the cop was going to chase them. Props for that. But they were relying on the speed of the GT to get them away, and that became worthless as soon as they hit heavy traffic. At that point, you want something that will blend in. And you want an escape plan.

Hoping that you hit the next exit soon is gambling.

Chip H.

Fun in an M5

...you stand a much better chance of doing it and getting away with in something that isn't the only fucking car like it in the state!
    The wife and I were having fun on the way to my uncle's place* last Christmas, cruising along at about 110-120 in the e39 M5--let me interject, God I love that car!

The Valentine's keeping watch and the laser jammer's primed and ready. Still, instant-on is always a threat--and so it was, SCREEEDLEDEEEDLE! the Valentine announced. He'd just come over the hill on the opposite side and had me dead-on; I had no cover.

In Texas they've installed wire cable fencing on rural highways to prevent folks crossing over and causing head-ons; they have breaks roughly every mile to allow the Exalted Ones to cross over. I figured it would take him at least half a mile to find a crossover and turn around. I looked over at my wife; she knew what I was thinking right away. With no traffic, I dropped down to fifth gear and enjoyed that manic snarling the M5's V8 makes at high revs. Being ungoverned, it's capable of (and has done) 180, so I stepped up the pace to a brisk 140 for about a mile, where we exited for a gas station. I pulled into the station with a van concealing me from the highway and calmly filled up.

About a minute later, the Exalted One goes ripping by at that POS Crown Vic's pathetic 120 or so top speed. Never did see him again.

That's one advantage of a fairly plain-looking white M5!

Consider this: how much more dangerous was the pig's Crown Vic at 120 than the uber-capable M5 at the same speed?

Quote Originally Posted by methylamine View Post
    The wife and I were having fun on the way to my uncle's place* last Christmas, cruising along at about 110-120 in the e39 M5--let me interject, God I love that car!

The Valentine's keeping watch and the laser jammer's primed and ready. Still, instant-on is always a threat--and so it was, SCREEEDLEDEEEDLE! the Valentine announced. He'd just come over the hill on the opposite side and had me dead-on; I had no cover.

In Texas they've installed wire cable fencing on rural highways to prevent folks crossing over and causing head-ons; they have breaks roughly every mile to allow the Exalted Ones to cross over. I figured it would take him at least half a mile to find a crossover and turn around. I looked over at my wife; she knew what I was thinking right away. With no traffic, I dropped down to fifth gear and enjoyed that manic snarling the M5's V8 makes at high revs. Being ungoverned, it's capable of (and has done) 180, so I stepped up the pace to a brisk 140 for about a mile, where we exited for a gas station. I pulled into the station with a van concealing me from the highway and calmly filled up.

About a minute later, the Exalted One goes ripping by at that POS Crown Vic's pathetic 120 or so top speed. Never did see him again.

Consider this: how much more dangerous was the pig's Crown Vic at 120 than the uber-capable M5 at the same speed?

An M5 is not a common car. It may be able to outrun a Ford but can it outrun a Motorola? All he had to do was call ahead and once they get your plate number on camera, you're toast.

Something else to consider, what about a clover who doesn't check their mirror before pulling into the left lane to drive 5 miles under the limit?

Besdies, around here they have modified Mustangs for your type of speeding. One local department had to upgrade to Z rated tires as they had driven two tires off their special pursuit Mustang after it got modified. A local retired mechanic who is the brother of the officer who runs it did some special machine work and other modifications to the drivetrain and suspension. It's basically a race car with red and blue lights.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

But white BMW sedans are!

And unless you know cars - and look closely - the M versions are not obvious, especially from a distance and at speed.

No way he could have caught Methyl's plate, either.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    An M5 is not a common car. It may be able to outrun a Ford but can it outrun a Motorola? All he had to do was call ahead and once they get your plate number on camera, you're toast.

Something else to consider, what about a clover who doesn't check their mirror before pulling into the left lane to drive 5 miles under the limit?

Besdies, around here they have modified Mustangs for your type of speeding. One local department had to upgrade to Z rated tires as they had driven two tires off their special pursuit Mustang after it got modified. A local retired mechanic who is the brother of the officer who runs it did some special machine work and other modifications to the drivetrain and suspension. It's basically a race car with red and blue lights.

I have a coworker who owns a M5 with the V10. He had to take it in to get the driver adaptations reset because it wasn't used to a driver who babied the throttle. He's upset that he only gets 14.4 mpg (from a V10!) and drives like Miss Daisy.

While the car is amazing, it has far too much technology getting in the way of the process of actual driving.

Chip H.

Former owner: 2012 Honda Civic LX, 2006 Honda Ridgeline RTL, 2000 Honda CR-V EX, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 1992 Honda Accord LX, 1999 Mercedes ML-320, 1995 VW Jetta GLX, 1991 Mercury Capri XR2, 1981 Mercury Zephyr, 1975 Chevrolet Impala

But white BMW sedans are!

And unless you know cars - and look closely - the M versions are not obvious, especially from a distance and at speed.

No way he could have caught Methyl's plate, either.

Actually, around here they aren't. Red and Black are the common colors with silver a close runner up. How could the camera have not caught the plate number? Cameras are quick. On Mythbusters they tried to beat a red light camera by going fast. It took a dragster hammering 200-300 mph to out flash the camera. We have a lot of cars with plate cameras around here. Usually they catch stolen cars or cars owned by people with warrants out but they also keep a record in a pursuit. Even if the first car didn't get the number, one down the road sure could.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Staff

Stories like that warm my heart and give me hope. One thing I want to do when I get some extra dough is remove the speed governor from my Jag. I want to take advantage of the high speed roads that we have here in TX, especially west of San Antonio.

I stopped by a German car show today. I asked a couple of the Beemer guys how many white BMWs they know of around here. They called some others over and got to talking. Except for one Z3, they couldn't think of any. Lot's of white M-B cars, Audis and even a white Trabant. Not many white Beemers though.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Oh my goodness me! - and other expressions of shock and horror. What a naughty piece of anti-social behaviour, and so dangerous. Don't you know that at that sort of speed the air can be ripped from your lungs, your knees can emulsify and you can develop an extreme case of spots before the ankles. Only those you know as 'The Exalted Ones' who are specially trained, have had their brains removed and require no oxygen to perform their risky roles in life can survive at such speeds - ask any Clover.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.