Thread: How often should you change your wiper blades?

How often should you change your wiper blades?

I'm guessing this isn't something you want to find out they're bad when you really need them.

What is a good rule of thumb for when to replace wiper blades?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I'm guessing this isn't something you want to find out they're bad when you really need them.

I tend to change at the beginning of Winter (just done it) and the beginning of Summer, but then I'm a clean screen fanatic and clean my screens and lights every day before I drive the car.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

What is a good style to go with?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

What is a good style to go with?
    If you can get flat blades to fit your car, go for them. They perform much better than "normal" blades - much more even pressure along the length of the blade.

I usually do it twice a year. Once in the spring to get away from any ice damage and then in the fall to replace any heat and ozone damaged wiper blades. I also keep an extra wiper blade for the left side (if they are different lengths) in case of any damage to the wiper that causes streaking. Wipers are cheaper than replacing your car because you can't see.
    Last edited by grouch; 12-01-2010 at 08:30 PM. Reason: I kant spel wurth a durn.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Blade replacement

I live in a warm-weather zone so my wipers lasts longer than those used in cold-weather zones.
    Right now, the left wiper does the job adequately enough but when it starts streaking, I replace it with a new one, then use it on the right side. The driver must have a clear view at all times, right?

Staff
    I usually replace them after a year to 1.5 years. I do not buy the cheapy brands such as the OEM Trico blades. They have really dropped in quality from what I have seen. They used to be made here. They have been made in Mexico for about 7 years or so. I noticed the quality drop about 2 years ago.

Now using Bosch brands. We'll see how they wear.

Here's a "remember when" for Erics article.... Remember when you could get wiper inserts at the parts store instead of having to buy the whole blade?

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Here's a "remember when" for Erics article.... Remember when you could get wiper inserts at the parts store instead of having to buy the whole blade?
    You still can!

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    I usually replace them after a year to 1.5 years. I do not buy the cheapy brands such as the OEM Trico blades. They have really dropped in quality from what I have seen. They used to be made here. They have been made in Mexico for about 7 years or so. I noticed the quality drop about 2 years ago.

Now using Bosch brands. We'll see how they wear.

Heat and sun can eat them up as bad as ice on the windshield. A couple of things to get more life out of a blade are really simple. I recently saw a doo hickey at the parts store to clean blades. It had a rough and smooth side. You run it along the blade to clean it. What I do though is use an alcohol based window cleaner from time to time to get all the gooky stuff (<----fancy technical term) off the glass. I then use an alcohol swap (you can get them at the drug store for a buck or two per box) and run one along the edge of the blade. This will renew the blade for a bit and get more life out of it. It basically cloeans the blade really good. This lets it work better.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.