Thread: Owner Impressions: Honda Hawk GT

Owner Impressions: Honda Hawk GT

Y'all,

I am the owner of a 1989 Honda NT-650 Hawk GT (two actually, more on that momentarily).

I bought it in 1995 with 9000 miles. I ride it to work every day, almost year-round, a 16-mile round trip. Today it has around 72,000 miles. It has never required anything more in the way of service than regular replacement tires, chains, sprockets, and brake pads, plus essential fluids. The only time it ever let me down in 15 years was due to a weak battery. It is the finest, most economical and reliable machine I've ever owned.

Honda made many motorcycles over the year that were named "Hawk." This version was made for only 4 years (1988-1991). It has a 647cc V-twin engine, aluminum perimeter frame, single-sided swing-arm, and disks front and rear (one each).

It is a small bike, cramped for larger riders (I'm only 5'5" so it fits me fine). It is too small for carrying a passenger, at least one over 65 pounds, as my daughter did a few times when I took her to kindergarten on it. (She's a sophomore in college now.) It is capable of 110mph, but I've never had it over 90. It gets 48-58 mpg. It is supremely easy to ride at any speed.

The handling is UNBELIEVABLE, the sweetest backroad bike I've ever ridden. Endless fun: light, frisky, torquey, composed, and relaxed. It asks nothing of me to go fast other than to hang on and smile a lot. My VFR makes twice the power or more, but on really tight roads, I can ride the little Hawk faster, at least my riding buddies say so.

The only weak link seems to be an alternator that after many hours of riding while powering an electric jacket and heated grips, doesn't fully charge the battery. (Do alternators wear out over time or do they only fail catastrophically?)

In some respects, it may be thought of as a copy of the V-twin Ducatis of the day. It was not a good seller and once it was discontinued, Suzuki seemed to have taken over the genre with their many iterations of the SV-650. And they've sold boatloads of them! Oh, Honda, what would this bike be today if you still made it (the NT-700 touring bike notwithstanding)?

I mentioned two of them. Yes, when I decided a year or two ago that since Honda wasn't making them any more and since I wanted to ride one for as long as I'm able to throw a leg over a bike, and since nothing mechanical lasts forever, I'd best get a spare. So I have another, sitting in a store room, waiting for the first one to pass to that great motorcycle graveyard in the sky. Problem is, it sure seems like it will last forever.

MA

Oh,

Oh, forgot to mention that all this fun over 63,000 miles was purchased for $2800.