Thread: Riding a motorcycle scary?

Riding a motorcycle scary?

Whenever I talk to girl/women about bikes it seems the first thing they mention is how scary they are.

What is it about bikes that is scary for women?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Whenever I talk to girl/women about bikes it seems the first thing they mention is how scary they are.

Here bees my thoughts on this:

* Not all women are scared of bikes; I dated one who loved them, but she was unusual! Some women are great on a bike - as the rider or the passenger. But I think they are in the minority.

* Men are (usually) much stronger, physically, than women - and riding a bike (especially a sport bike at a fast pace - or a big cruiser, period) takes physical strength. On a sport bike, you have to have reasonably strong arms and legs to lean the bike, move it around, etc. And a big cruiser just requires big arms (and legs) period. A 140 pound woman and an 800 pound cruiser do not mix well.

Also, I am willing to bet that men - in general - have a superior sense of spatial relationships and are more eye-hand coordinated than most women - another factor that is very important as far as being comfortable and confident (and so, less scared) on a bike.

Finally - the Big One:

* Most women are, by nature, more risk-averse than most men. Where most men look at a bike and think about fun (and challenge) most women see vulnerable body parts and horrible injuries. It's why men make better explorers and leaders (again, usually) while women are better with small kids and talking care of others.

It ain't politically correct, but it bees de troof!

Our club has about three hundred members. Of these members there are five regular lady riders - and I stress (with one, butch, exception) the word lady - these are - very attractive, slim members of the opposite sex. Paula rides an R6 and a Honda CB1000R, Jane rides a GSXR600, Debbie has an off roader and a Honda Firestorm. Jackie has a Suzi SV650 and Liz rides a big dresser (possibly a Yamaha). At a rough guess the ratio of men riders to girl riders is about 60:1 - not very high. There are also of couple of girls who turn up and ride with us occasionally, one on a Thundercat, as well as a few who ride pillion with their husbands/boyfriends.

My ex-wife was a bike/car/racing/speed fanatic whereas Diane has absolutely no interest in bikes or cars and thinks anything over eighty mph is tantamount to riding the road to hell. Women are, indeed, a very strange race but, after nearly eighty years I am beginning to understand them - I think.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

It's because they usually know us men. Famous last words are often "Hey, watch this.". When they are younger, guys try to impress them by popping wheelies and doing stoopid things to get attention. Some guys grow out of it, others mature and still ride and many eliminate themselves from the gene pool.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

It can be scary. I've had my share of times out there when I thought this is it. Riding when it's pitch black out and raining can be scary. Riding in fog is crazy. Riding too fast for conditions and of coarse intersections could be dangerous. Will that car turn in front of you then it's wham bam thankyou ma'm---not!
    I think the number one rule when riding a motorbike is ride to your ability. Next would be ride and take everything in stride and live to ride another day. It's not how many miles you do it's how much fun your having. If your not having fun or too much danger sometimes it's best to pull over and take it easy.