Thread: It looks like it's road trip time....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

It looks like it's road trip time....

The latest:

I spoke with the shipping company rep. earlier today. She told me that "nothing is going out" until the last week of December. That means my bike - which has been in their clutches since Dec. 1 - won't be going anywhere until at least Jan. 1 and even that is not guaranteed since it's just when the bike may be "assigned" to a truck. Maybe. She says. Nothing firm. Then it has to be trucked from Milwaukee to Virginia which may take another couple weeks.

So, for $600, they get to sit on my bike for at least a month, maybe longer - before I can begin to even hope it might be coming my way.

They told me when I paid that it would be "2-3" weeks from pick-up to delivery time.

Some advice learned the hard way: Never deal with this company, Haul Bikes, Inc. http://www.haulbikes.com/

I made the mistake of going with the recommendation made by the dealer I bought the bike from. I have never shipped a bike before. I always have to learn the hard way.

I should have done serious research first. Had I done it I would have been warned about this exact problem with Haul Bikes. A quick Google search turned up dozens of complaints about shockingly long delivery times stretching to 5-6 weeks and beyond.

http://www.complaintsboard.com/compl...s-c176328.html

http://gl1800riders.com/forums/archi.../t-115428.html

I did not find many positive reviews of this company.

I've been told that Harley Davidson recommends Allied shipping. Apparently, they are much more efficient.

But the whole process has been a huge turnoff for me. I doubt I will ever buy a bike at a distance again; I definitely won't do it unless I can do the drive and pick it up myself.

All this shit -plus $600 - to avoid 18-20 hours of driving torture, which would have been over a month ago had I just had the fucking gumption to get in my truck and go.

Im almost at the point of regretting doing this at all. It's been a monster PITAS.

Now I'm stuck with the following shitty options:

* Wait on Haul Bikes to get my bike... eventually... maybe... by February? March?

* Get in my truck and drive to fucking Milwaukee and pick the thing up and drive it home, then wrestle back as much money as I can from these sons of bitches.

Can you get your money back?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Crossing state lines may complicate things but if it were me and it was coming from someplace in Indiana, I'd consider filing charges of conversion against the company. Conversion is one of those little "piss off" charges that can get filed if you really cause trouble when the police try to arrest you. Basically when they "throw the book" at you, this is one of the charges they load on you. Technically, it is "exerting unauthorized control over the property of another. In short, they were allowed to have your bike for 2-3 weeks. Not longer than that.

I suspect you might have better luck though complaining to the D.O.T.. This is an interstate shipment and they have to follow D.O.T. rules and regulations. I load trucks for a living and a while back, one company that had quite a few loads from us went out of business. Our loads were abandoned all over the country. It took three months to locate and recover all of them.

It's your bike, you paid to have it delivered. They work under license from Uncle Sam to do business. This is not acceptable.

If I'd have known you wanted a GL500 Silverwing, there are a couple of them for sale around here along with a restored "Thing". I could have loaded the bike on my trailer and met you half way for fuel costs.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Crossing state lines may complicate things but if it were me and it was coming from someplace in Indiana, I'd consider filing charges of conversion against the company. Conversion is one of those little "piss off" charges that can get filed if you really cause trouble when the police try to arrest you. Basically when they "throw the book" at you, this is one of the charges they load on you. Technically, it is "exerting unauthorized control over the property of another. In short, they were allowed to have your bike for 2-3 weeks. Not longer than that.

I suspect you might have better luck though complaining to the D.O.T.. This is an interstate shipment and they have to follow D.O.T. rules and regulations. I load trucks for a living and a while back, one company that had quite a few loads from us went out of business. Our loads were abandoned all over the country. It took three months to locate and recover all of them.

It's your bike, you paid to have it delivered. They work under license from Uncle Sam to do business. This is not acceptable.

If I'd have known you wanted a GL500 Silverwing, there are a couple of them for sale around here along with a restored "Thing". I could have loaded the bike on my trailer and met you half way for fuel costs.
    This is good advice, Paul - thanks.

Right now I am in damage control mode. They have my bike - and my money - which means they have leverage.

Once I have the bike in my possession, I will be in a better position to maneuver. I can also have my credit card company intercede. I paid with MC and my company is pretty good about disputed charges.

On the bike itself: I had been looking for the more rare (because one-year-only, 1983) GL650, which has a number of improvements over the GL500, including substantially more power.

But your offer's very generous; if there had been a GL650 in your neck I would have absolutely taken you up on it!

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Can you get your money back?
    I am trying to find that out.

One real obstacle in my way - as far as picking the bike up - is whether I can get them to refund most of the money I paid. It will really suck azz if I have to spend probably $200-$300 on gas plus waste two days plus put 1,800 miles on my truck on top of what I spent to "ship" the bike.

Fuck Haul Bikes, Inc.

I hate these assholes.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I am trying to find that out.

One real obstacle in my way - as far as picking the bike up - is whether I can get them to refund most of the money I paid. It will really suck azz if I have to spend probably $200-$300 on gas plus waste two days plus put 1,800 miles on my truck on top of what I spent to "ship" the bike.

Fuck Haul Bikes, Inc.

I hate these assholes.
    I think I mentioned that we purchased a car on-line once. There was nothing wrong with the car, but other than that, it was hassle after hassle. Starting with NO advance notice of when the car would be delivered. I was on the way to work when the phone rang! And if I did pick it up then, (about 20 miles from here) I would have to go to Sacramento (100 miles away) to pick it up and pay storage charges for each day until I do. They would not deliver to a residential area. They pick the place for me to pick it up, with NO advance notice.

BTW, that was a Sunday night (yeah, I work Sunday nights) when they delivered the car 20 miles south of here in San Mateo and expected me to pick it up right away with no advance notice.

And then there were BIG hassles with paperwork and everything else. We had to go to CA DMV several times and get various papers from Texas (where we purchased the car from).

After all the hassles, I don't think I would do it again if the car was free!

BTW, that was our 1999 Ford Mustang.

But don't blame me, buying on line was Tom's idea!

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I think I mentioned that we purchased a car on-line once. There was nothing wrong with the car, but other than that, it was hassle after hassle. Starting with NO advance notice of when the car would be delivered. I was on the way to work when the phone rang! And if I did pick it up then, (about 20 miles from here) I would have to go to Sacramento (100 miles away) to pick it up and pay storage charges for each day until I do. They would not deliver to a residential area. They pick the place for me to pick it up, with NO advance notice.

BTW, that was a Sunday night (yeah, I work Sunday nights) when they delivered the car 20 miles south of here in San Mateo and expected me to pick it up right away with no advance notice.

And then there were BIG hassles with paperwork and everything else. We had to go to CA DMV several times and get various papers from Texas (where we purchased the car from).

After all the hassles, I don't think I would do it again if the car was free!

BTW, that was our 1999 Ford Mustang.

But don't blame me, buying on line was Tom's idea!

-Don-

In this case. the paperwork was no problem. The dealer I bought the bike from sent me the bill of sale and signed title; I went to the DMV the next day and had a new title issued in my name. I got the bike registered - and have tags sitting on my desk as I type this! It is insured on my policy, too.

But I have yet to actually seen the bike itself in person, let alone ride it.

If the bike turns out to be as nice as advertised/appears in the pictures, I will end up being happy, despite all this.

On Monday I plan to try to get a guaranteed "delivery by" date. If they can't/won't do that, then I will make plans to drive up to Milwaukee and back. It's 10 hours driving time, one way. So, 24 hours or so if I go more or less non-stop, which is what I intend to do.

The only flie in the pie is:

Have to get the shipper to refund most of my money before I do this, or I'm gonna get to pay $600 plus another $200-$300 for gas to get this bike.

Filthy, evil bastards.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    In this case. the paperwork was no problem.
    You don't live in CA and have all the CA smog requirements that the Texas dealer didn't fully understand.
    The dealer I bought the bike from sent me the bill of sale and signed title; I went to the DMV the next day and had a new title issued in my name. I got the bike registered - and have tags sitting on my desk as I type this! It is insured on my policy, too.

But I have yet to actually seen the bike itself in person, let alone ride it.

If the bike turns out to be as nice as advertised/appears in the pictures, I will end up being happy, despite all this.
    Since this isn't the best riding season out there, what's the big hurry?
    On Monday I plan to try to get a guaranteed "delivery by" date. If they can't/won't do that, then I will make plans to drive up to Milwaukee and back. It's 10 hours driving time, one way. So, 24 hours or so if I go more or less non-stop, which is what I intend to do.
    And after that date, they will tell you the bike is in route. The so-called "guaranteed deliver by date" most likely won't mean a thing.

-Don- (in rainy SSF, CA)

"Since this isn't the best riding season out there, what's the big hurry?"

Well, it's my property and I want to have it in my possession - not sitting in some warehouse in Wisconsin! That's for one. For two, I paid for the service based on the stated "2-3" weeks delivery estimate. I would never have agreed to go with this company had I known that it would be at least twice that - and possibly much more. What I really resent is that they wont commit to any date at all. So, apparently, it could be months before they get around to delivering the bike!

"And after that date, they will tell you the bike is in route. The so-called "guaranteed deliver by date" most likely won't mean a thing."

Yeah. They are scum of the earth.

If I paid an el cheapo rate - or had known going in it would likely be six-plus weeks before I saw the bike - I would not be pissed.

But I paid a lot of money - and feel I was misled by the company about the true delivery date.

Hell, I'm only 800 miles away. It's not a cross country trip. Six weeks to send a bike 800 miles? I could fucking walk the 800 miles in half that time.

This is good advice, Paul - thanks.

Right now I am in damage control mode. They have my bike - and my money - which means they have leverage.

Once I have the bike in my possession, I will be in a better position to maneuver. I can also have my credit card company intercede. I paid with MC and my company is pretty good about disputed charges.

On the bike itself: I had been looking for the more rare (because one-year-only, 1983) GL650, which has a number of improvements over the GL500, including substantially more power.

But your offer's very generous; if there had been a GL650 in your neck I would have absolutely taken you up on it!

I hate to call it a "good 'ol boy" network but I've got friends around the world and we trade favors a lot, usually for cost. I have one friend in Australia who collects old cars. I often get him parts a whole lot cheaper and ship them when to buy them in Oz might be impossible. No telling how many cars down under have electronic ignitions when local shops said it couldn't be done. You might have come across something I've been looking for since I was a little shaver later on.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Maybe it isn't the best riding weather, I still ride year 'round. I'm currently bikeless right now but I hope to get another Concours tomorrow, or at least this week. Generally, if it will start, I ride. I don't ride on ice, I don't leave the house on a bike in the rain, although if I'm out and it rains, I get wet otherwise, I ride whenever possible.

Right now, we're getting out of single digit temperatures. Later on, we might be walking around in shirt sleeves at Christmas time. Temperatures are often in the upper 30's and the 40's here in winter and that's great riding weather. Just dress warmly and get some electric gloves.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Maybe it isn't the best riding weather, I still ride year 'round. I'm currently bikeless right now but I hope to get another Concours tomorrow, or at least this week. Generally, if it will start, I ride. I don't ride on ice, I don't leave the house on a bike in the rain, although if I'm out and it rains, I get wet otherwise, I ride whenever possible.

Right now, we're getting out of single digit temperatures. Later on, we might be walking around in shirt sleeves at Christmas time. Temperatures are often in the upper 30's and the 40's here in winter and that's great riding weather. Just dress warmly and get some electric gloves.
    We're in the middle of a warming trend... mid 20s! Seriously - it feels warm... compared with a few days ago, when it was very close to 0 with wind chills well below zero.

Yowsa!