Thread: Maaahhn! - this is cold.

Exclamation Maaahhn! - this is cold.

Temperature is dipping nicely, the highest I've seen today was minus 10C and it is dropping even as I type. Thought I'd post a coupla piccies of the frost - that's right, that is not snow on the trees it is frost.

Ken.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Temperature is dipping nicely, the highest I've seen today was minus 10C and it is dropping even as I type. Thought I'd post a coupla piccies of the frost - that's right, that is not snow on the trees it is frost.

Ken.

A few days ago, it was 3 degrees when I went to work. When I got there, we found out that nobody was checking the fuel level in the propane tank we use for heat in the office. By the way, our temps are in F degrees.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Nice pictures. Looks like a frost garden.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Ken.
    Ok, you win.

It is miserable here - but warm in comparison. Low 20s in the daylight and teens to single digits at night.

I saw on the news that London is experiencing the coldest weather in 100 years!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Ok, you win.

It is miserable here - but warm in comparison. Low 20s in the daylight and teens to single digits at night.

I saw on the news that London is experiencing the coldest weather in 100 years!

-10C is about 14F
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

It's been getting pretty low here at nights too!

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    It's been getting pretty low here at nights too!

Wood heat rocks!

72 here (inside) .... 13 outside.....

[quote=Ken;129350]Temperature is dipping nicely, the highest I've seen today was minus 10C and it is dropping even as I type. Thought I'd post a coupla piccies of the frost - that's right, that is not snow on the trees it is frost.

Ken.
    ================================================== =======

Denver, Co., has had sunny days, cool nights but virtually no snow. However our mountain areas have had more than their share. The area west of Steamboat Springs is expected to get eight feet over the next few days.

[quote=Oldfrtbkr;129418]

Ken.
    ================================================== =======

Denver, Co., has had sunny days, cool nights but virtually no snow. However our mountain areas have had more than their share. The area west of Steamboat Springs is expected to get eight feet over the next few days.
    That's a good place for it JP. They can have ALL the snow.

Wood heat rocks!

72 here (inside) .... 13 outside.....
    Coal heat is even better!

Wood heat rocks! ...
    Gotta agree with that.

We have a catalytic insert for our fireplace and it will heat the entire first floor of the house. The only problem is - we have one zone heating, and it's so warm downstairs that the heat doesn't come on, so the upstairs stays a wee bit cold...

Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    Coal heat is even better!
    Yeah, I never experienced coal heat up till about two weeks ago.

It is by far way better than wood, but wood sure is easy to gather!

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Gotta agree with that.

We have a catalytic insert for our fireplace and it will heat the entire first floor of the house. The only problem is - we have one zone heating, and it's so warm downstairs that the heat doesn't come on, so the upstairs stays a wee bit cold...
    Up here in Floyd County, Va. (very rural part of SW Virginia) most houses have either a wood stove or an insert - in addition to a heat pump or propane/gas/oil. It is essential to have a back-up and most people have land, so the wood's free back-up (or even primary) heat.

Our house has an insert with a blower. But what makes it really efficient is that our fireplace is surrounded by brickwork that goes all the way up to the second floor; it's all exposed - and after the stove's been running for a few hours, we get radiant heat throughout the house, in addition to the direct heat from the insert/blower.

The only downside is you have to keep feeding it logs every few hours. It's free heat, but you pay for it in terms of work!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Yeah, I never experienced coal heat up till about two weeks ago.

It is by far way better than wood, but wood sure is easy to gather!

Do you guys have bituminous or anthracite coal down there in VA?

I have a DS Machine "2C" boiler, 145,000 BTU. It's a hand fed, but it's easier than splitting/cutting wood. Just shake, fill, and take out the ashes in the morning and shake and fill at night. It used about five tons of "chestnut" coal last year (at $145 a ton).

Here is an energy/cost calculator. http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-compa...calculator.php

Do you guys have bituminous or anthracite coal down there in VA?

I have a DS Machine "2C" boiler, 145,000 BTU. It's a hand fed, but it's easier than splitting/cutting wood. Just shake, fill, and take out the ashes in the morning and shake and fill at night. It used about five tons of "chestnut" coal last year (at $145 a ton).

Here is an energy/cost calculator. http://nepacrossroads.com/fuel-compa...calculator.php
    Not sure which type of coal is common down here - maybe Dom knows...?

On the cost issue: Is that for just the winter? Or do you use this system for hot water (year-round) too? Many people down here have these outside wood stoves that look like little huts. They heat the house in winter and the water, year-'round - so you save a lot on electricity (water) as well as what you'd otherwise spend on propane/gas/oil (or electricity) to run a heater.

The downside is the initial cost is fairly steep - about $5,000, I think.

We have dual heat pumps but almost never use them, in winter or summer. We use the wood stove for heat in the winter (almost free; I cut wood on our own land). In summer, we maybe need the central AC 2-3 weeks.

If you have to buy wood, it's currently running about $320 a dumptruck load.
    That will usually last two months unless the winter is really severe, or your house is really big.

Not sure which type of coal is common down here - maybe Dom knows...?

On the cost issue: Is that for just the winter? Or do you use this system for hot water (year-round) too? Many people down here have these outside wood stoves that look like little huts. They heat the house in winter and the water, year-'round - so you save a lot on electricity (water) as well as what you'd otherwise spend on propane/gas/oil (or electricity) to run a heater.

The downside is the initial cost is fairly steep - about $5,000, I think.

We have dual heat pumps but almost never use them, in winter or summer. We use the wood stove for heat in the winter (almost free; I cut wood on our own land). In summer, we maybe need the central AC 2-3 weeks.

If you have to buy wood, it's currently running about $320 a dumptruck load.
    That will usually last two months unless the winter is really severe, or your house is really big.
    That cost is from the end of November until sometime in March. I use an 80,000 BTU oil burner in the summer for hot water, it uses about 150 gallons for April until November. I used to need 800 gallons ($2400 at today's prices!!!) of oil for the whole year until I got the coal boiler.

The coal boiler cost about $1400 plus $750 for five tons of coal. The boiler was paid off in less than 1 season of use. It has plenty of benefits too, the house is much warmer, the basement is hot, the domestic water is HOT and I'm not paying Ali Baba for my heat - I'm paying a guy in Schuylkill County. And I bought the stove from a Amish guy in Lancaster County.

My stove is the smallest coal boiler they make, or 2C, but you can get up to a 6C which is 450,000 BTU with a 24x45.5 in. firebox!

http://www.altheating.com/dsmachine.htm

That cost is from the end of November until sometime in March. I use an 80,000 BTU oil burner in the summer for hot water, it uses about 150 gallons for April until November. I used to need 800 gallons ($2400 at today's prices!!!) of oil for the whole year until I got the coal boiler.

The coal boiler cost about $1400 plus $750 for five tons of coal. The boiler was paid off in less than 1 season of use. It has plenty of benefits too, the house is much warmer, the basement is hot, the domestic water is HOT and I'm not paying Ali Baba for my heat - I'm paying a guy in Schuylkill County. And I bought the stove from a Amish guy in Lancaster County.

My stove is the smallest coal boiler they make, or 2C, but you can get up to a 6C which is 450,000 BTU with a 24x45.5 in. firebox!

http://www.altheating.com/dsmachine.htm
    That sounds like a good rig!

I have been thinking about a solar water heater. This (hot water) is probably our major (or one of the major) electrical costs we have.

I have a friend (local) who uses a heat pump to heat his place in the winter and he pays $400/month to do that, which is damn near a "mini mortgage" just for the heat.

I have never understood why they put heat pumps in homes in areas where winter temps. can be below 30 degrees (and often much colder than that) for 2-3 months straight. Heat pumps are ok if you live in Florida or someplace like that, where "cold" means 40s, maybe a few days in the 30s.

Propane/oil heat nicely but they are expensive and apt to become much more expensive.

I like both coal and natural gas because both are abundant in the US, so that should keep prices reasonable.

Wood, though, is my favorite - because it's free (for me)!

I need to check with my friend on how much coal his compound consumes.

This guy has a rig setup at his home that would make you all proud.

I know I was astonished when he showed/explained it all to me.

The unit itself was $3800. It has a small room for it behind his 40x40 garage.

The garage has a lift and a pit, along with huge pallet racks, and a bathroom.

The coal heater has a heat exchanger right next to it that heats water which is pumped through the floor of the garage to heat it (works awesome).

Then it is plumped up to the house where there is another heat exchanger (radiator) that heats the house.

Then from there it's fed into the hot water heater for a preheating of the hot water.

Also, there is a small amount that is bled off down to the pasture to give the cows some warm water and heat the ground for them.

I'm not doing the system justice! It's absolutely ingenious.

He purchases coal by the pallet (couple tons). It comes with small bags all stacked on the pallet. The bags are pretty small like a 30lb bag of potting soil size.

You can dump about 200lbs or so into the hopper and hit feeds it for a few days. The ash needs to be dumped every few days too!

I'll AXE him next time how much he consumes.

It is hands down the coolest (no pun) heating system I've ever seen!

-Mussolini

Do they sell coal in Florida?

Okay "coolest" was a bad word to use!

Neatest heating system I've ever seen.

-Mussolini