Thread: Text Book Clover

Text Book Clover

Notice the brake lights on too!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post

The worst part, in a congested/dense population area, is that you can't avoid/escape the Clovers. Get by one - and there's another just ahead. Plus other traffic all around you

I agree with Jefferson's sentiment that density = death. Of liberty, of quality of life... everything.

It's dystopic. The worst elements, the least competent, the dumbest - take over.

It's like a single noble animal being taken down by a horde of insects....

Come, come, Dom. If you look you can clearly see that there is a car, in front of him, that is dangerously close - could be even less than a quarter of a mile. If he doesn't cover the brakes how would he ever avoid a very serious accident if the vehicle in front suddenly stopped dead in its tracks??? Do the maths, he is travelling at thirty mph, ten seconds reaction time, ten seconds thinking time, ten seconds to slowly and carefully apply the brakes so as not to provoke a violent skid - that equates to about 440 yds - see? he has judged it to perfection. Go and put on the sackcloth and cover yourself in ashes.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 01-02-2011 at 08:59 AM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Staff

Please tell me that Clover made a left turn into that street approaching. If not, that crap makes me crazy.I would pass him and them throw something from my car.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Please tell me that Clover made a left turn into that street approaching. If not, that crap makes me crazy.I would pass him and them throw something from my car.
    Oh dear me no! If he were turning left he would have been hugging the center line for the last half mile and would have slowed down to five mph (or less) in order to safely be able to make that dangerous manouver. In fact, with the approaching traffic, he might well have been waiting for half an hour for a clear opportunity to turn.

Ken. CRAP i/c (Clover Road-safety Advisory Predicator in chief)
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Naw, that clover rode it out, didn't turn. Thing about these clover on this road is they drag ass for seven miles then merge onto the highway and haul ass most times. It drives me crazy. They do 30-40 in a 45, then get on the highway and are doing 80 in a 70. There are very strange clovers on this patch of road.

-Mussolini

Staff
    Naw, that clover rode it out, didn't turn. Thing about these clover on this road is they drag ass for seven miles then merge onto the highway and haul ass most times. It drives me crazy. They do 30-40 in a 45, then get on the highway and are doing 80 in a 70. There are very strange clovers on this patch of road.

Ha! Love it.

I am not a clover, but I drive much faster on freeways relative to the speed limit than I do on urban or suburban streets. On a suburban road, I drive about 5-10 above the limit (as shown on the GPS), but that isn't fast enough for some people. I have had people tail me until I get on the freeway and then I let them choke on unburned gas as I get up to 80 or 90 on the highway.

On a road like that the one in the photo, I would probably be tooling between 65 and 75 mph. I can't understand why people don't drive faster on rural roads. I would have thrown something at that douchebag.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Oh dear me no! If he were turning left he would have been hugging the center line for the last half mile and would have slowed down to five mph (or less) in order to safely be able to make that dangerous manouver. In fact, with the approaching traffic, he might well have been waiting for half an hour for a clear opportunity to turn.

Ken. CRAP i/c (Clover Road-safety Advisory Predicator in chief)
    Good one. I forgot about that.

Dang this gets my blood boiling and not even driving. I wish in the future we refrain from showing terrible pics like these. All it goes is get my goat.

Don't come to Austin, then. The norm here is 10-15mph under the limit. Usually done in the passing lane.

Chip H.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Dang this gets my blood boiling and not even driving. I wish in the future we refrain from showing terrible pics like these. All it goes is get my goat.
    LOL. Me too. Fortunately here in FL, there aren't as many of them as in other states.

-Mussolini

Staff
    Hey Dom - Although a picture is worth a 1000 swear words in this case, it would be helpful to know the route, the direction, the speed limit and the speed of the clover.

I see another potential clover in this crowd. Look at how far back the pickup is from the rest of the crowd.

Man, this is the gift that keeps giving.
    Last edited by swamprat; 01-03-2011 at 06:48 AM.

Route 17 South.

The clover was doing about 30mph in a 45. We were around 400 yards before some train tracks. My man was doing some premature slowing down.

He was like that the whole way though.

Basically he was doing around 35-40mph in a 45 zone for about 7 miles.

This angle gave the best perspective to observe stupid, I mean clover.

-Mussolini

Staff
    Route 17 South.

The clover was doing about 30mph in a 45. We were around 400 yards before some train tracks. My man was doing some premature slowing down.

He was like that the whole way though.

Basically he was doing around 35-40mph in a 45 zone for about 7 miles.

This angle gave the best perspective to observe stupid, I mean clover.
    Yaaaaak. That would have driven me through the roof. Not only is this clover a pure idiot, the speed limit looks to be underposted given sight distances, etc.

That angle illustrated stupid perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Hey Dom - Although a picture is worth a 1000 swear words in this case, it would be helpful to know the route, the direction, the speed limit and the speed of the clover.

I see another potential clover in this crowd. Look at how far back the pickup is from the rest of the crowd.

Man, this is the gift that keeps giving.

Now my take on his positioning is slightly different. He should, at any speed, be two seconds (minimum) behind the car in front. If he was looking for an opportunity to pass the cars in front then he should be at least another two seconds further back. This would allow him to accelerate up to a good overtaking speed but still have room to slow and tuck in if the move became non-viable at any moment up to the final decision point.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.