Thread: Got a Goldwing finally.

Got a Goldwing finally.

The day after New Years Day I drove over to Louisville and swapped a pickup for a bike. It needs more work than I really wanted to do but I did ride it and got up and down through all the gears. We had to puch start it since the battery is dead. The water is almost gone from the cells. It'll take a lot of basic maintenance but it rides like a solid bike. I didn't want a GL1200 but this is a GL1100. I've still got parts from my old '81 I had years ago. It's been years (11 or 12) since I rode an 1100 but it all came back to me. I didn't even whack my shins on the engine.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Awesome!

What year is it?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Hey, hey, hey it's good news day! Handy that you kept the spares from your old bike. I'm guessing the new one is an '80' something, any chance of some pictures, especially if you are going to work on it then we could see the progress you make as you go along.

Hope you get thousands of good miles from it.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    The day after New Years Day I drove over to Louisville and swapped a pickup for a bike. It needs more work than I really wanted to do but I did ride it and got up and down through all the gears. We had to puch start it since the battery is dead. The water is almost gone from the cells. It'll take a lot of basic maintenance but it rides like a solid bike. I didn't want a GL1200 but this is a GL1100. I've still got parts from my old '81 I had years ago. It's been years (11 or 12) since I rode an 1100 but it all came back to me. I didn't even whack my shins on the engine.
    Excellent - congratulations!

I bet you have the work it needs done before I even see my bike!

Congratulations Big G. Man, you'll love it. About all I do now is start the puppy from time to time and listen to it purr. Come good weather get to ride it.Motorcycles are fun for all long and short trips just take it easy. Come on do car drivers wave at each other? Can't distinguish the same old grumpy mugs in any car. Bikers are about as a happily mentally balance crowd as there ever was. I'd trust a biker over a cager any day of the year.

The day after New Years Day I drove over to Louisville and swapped a pickup for a bike. It needs more work than I really wanted to do but I did ride it and got up and down through all the gears. We had to puch start it since the battery is dead. The water is almost gone from the cells. It'll take a lot of basic maintenance but it rides like a solid bike. I didn't want a GL1200 but this is a GL1100. I've still got parts from my old '81 I had years ago. It's been years (11 or 12) since I rode an 1100 but it all came back to me. I didn't even whack my shins on the engine
    ==================================================
    WTG! Congrats on the new wheels and as Ken mentioned please send some pics along.

As far as saving parts the highway pegs on my current ride I cobbled up from my past three bikes

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Awesome!

What year is it?

It's an '83 GL1100 Interstate. It's been worked on by...um.....uninspired mechanics in the past. I've been stripping a bunch or partial brackets off it. So far, I've pulled about 30 pounds of useless weight off it. There's a motorcycle shop about a mile or so from my house and he's got several in a small junkyard next to his shop.

I've already got all but one of the lights working right and once I get the starter fixed (bad brushes) I'll ride it over to the license branch to transfer the title and register my plate on it. I found out why it got parked. It looks like someone put a water pump in it and didn't get it sealed right. It's got a nasty oil leak. That's going to be a major job but otherwise it's a solid old bike with lots of life left. I forget how attractive that timing belt whine is at speed. It just sounds like power waiting to be released.

I even remembered NOT to whack my shins on the cylinder heads. We did have to push start it and while I was on it and pushing, I kept catching my legs on the rear floor boards. Those are now in the box with all the other parts coming off.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.