Thread: Cleaning Windows

Cleaning Windows

Hi Gang!

New software made me change my identity, but I'm still the duck you all know and love (unless you're an Auburn fan right now). So, the inside of my car windows has that smeary yukky film all over it. I've tried Windex with newspaper (have no lack of that!). I've tried a window cleaner that's suppose to be smear free and that didn't work. So what's your best solution to cleaning the inside of the windows so you can actually see what you're about to hit .

duck
    I'm going quackers!

Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    Hi Gang!

New software made me change my identity, but I'm still the duck you all know and love (unless you're an Auburn fan right now). So, the inside of my car windows has that smeary yukky film all over it. I've tried Windex with newspaper (have no lack of that!). I've tried a window cleaner that's suppose to be smear free and that didn't work. So what's your best solution to cleaning the inside of the windows so you can actually see what you're about to hit .

duck
    A brick.

Actually I have the same problem. I bought something from autozone and it did make the window cleaner, but not 100% clear. It is clean enough for driving, so it is fine. If I remember, I'll look and see what I used and post back here.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Armor-All Auto Glass Cleaner, I think it's called, works well on car windows and eyeglasses.

Hi.

I just use windex and paper towels. Don't be scared to use a few.

My routine:

1. soak the inside with windex
    2. wipe it off with a few paper towels using new ones once dirty
    3. repeat a few times if the window is bad
    4. once all dirt/stickyness is gone lightly spray the window and wipe all the streaks
    5. keep wiping with new paper towels (as needed) until all streaks are gone
    Normally it takes about 10 or so paper towels, if I had to estimate (just on the inside windshield).

Then for the outside I do the same thing, but use a lot more windex. I have the wipers standing up the whole time.

Once the outside is done then I clean the wiper blades really good with a soaked with windex paper towel. I do it until the blades are wiped clean (no residue coming off them).

Then after all this I soak the windshield (and all the exterior side of the windows) with rainx. I do the same soak and wipe streak free process.

note: don't keep using a dirty paper towel, toss it once dirty

Hope this helps!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Hi Gang!

duck

I've had the best luck with alcohol based glass cleaners. The ammonia or vinegar based cleaners don't clean quite as well as the alcohol type. Clear-Vue and 20/20 are two brands that come to mind. If you can find a small squegee, it will work wonders. Otherwise, I use plain white paper towels. Scrub it down and then go back over with a clean dry towel to get the streaks off. It takes elbow grease but it will clean all sorts of crud quite well.

If you remove window tint, the alcohol based cleaner will do the trick there too. I've had two vehicles in the last few years that had the windows heavily tinted. The worst was an ex-police car. (Who's gonna write them a ticket?) I literally couldn't see out at night. Gently peel the plastic film off and then spray the glue with the alcohol cleaner. Use a straight razor blade to scrape the glue off. The alcohol will soften it and you can then take it right off. As the alcohol dries, spray some more. It takes time but leaves the glass quite clean.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks! I'll stop by the auto place on my errands shortly. I have to find something requiring the least elbow grease. I've had major surgery on my right wrist and both shoulders and they just don't want to move in the places the windows go.
    I'm going quackers!

Smile

Thanks! I'll stop by the auto place on my errands shortly. I have to find something requiring the least elbow grease. I've had major surgery on my right wrist and both shoulders and they just don't want to move in the places the windows go.
    With that in mind I definitely suggest getting something other than windex.

I've used those special products before and they do work good and fast, but generic windex is sold at Walmart for around a buck. And my shoulders are in good shape, plus I'm cheap!

Another thing I do and failed to mention, I lay down across the seats (when possible) on my back to limit the amount of awkward angles my shoulders experience. Don't be scared to lay down, or put a pillow or pad under your side while your doing it. Do whatever it takes to be as comfortable as possible.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

I hate the salt spray and grim of winter driving. Thanks for reminding me about windows. Also I suggest good strong window cleaning solutions that don't easily freeze in negative zero weather. Rainex and Prestone make a good wintry deicer mix that delivers maximum protection to keep glass clean and won't freeze.A must in a thick frozen weather driving.

I use windex and paper towels to clean the inside of the glass. Be sure the glass is still damp, and then dry/polish with a microfibre cloth - leaves no streak marks.

I don't much care for Rain-X products, because of the film they leave behind.
    Yes, the film causes water to bead.
    It also severely interferes with vision when driving into the sun, e.g. going East in the morning.

The only thing I've found that reliably removes Rain-X is Bon Ami. ... which is not recommended for use on glass.

I picked up some of the Armor All Window Cleaner wipes and they did a good job, but now I'm seeing streaks. And my shoulder is killing me. Friend suggested something else that has a handle for just that so I'll try and find one around here. Thanks as always.

duck

Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post
    I picked up some of the Armor All Window Cleaner wipes and they did a good job, but now I'm seeing streaks. And my shoulder is killing me. Friend suggested something else that has a handle for just that so I'll try and find one around here. Thanks as always.

duck

What you're talking about is usually carried at AutoZone and other stores. Usually on the end cap. They work pretty good. I got one a while back, I just haven't used it yet.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I've tried all sorts of window cleaning products over the years; I've yet to find anything that gives better results than simply wiping with a damp chamois leather.

Try vinegar (cider vinegar is better) and newspaper. If that doesn't work, try diluting some bluing in water and using that. Works great on lime and calcium deposits on glassware.

hope this helps~

Stoner Invisible Glass is really good, but as with all the window cleaners, if you have a lot of crud built-up, it may take a couple of applications to get it really clean.

If you figure that glass makes up about 30% of your car's outside surface area, cleaning the glass is just as important to having a good looking car as a nice waxing.

Chip H.

I don't know whether you can get it in your far off place, Quacks but I find that 'Fast Glass' and 'Glass Polish' by Auto Glym work well. The film on the inside of the windows is particularly difficult to remove as it is mainly the deposit left by outgassing from the interior and dash assembly plastics. There is also the film left by the outside air contaminants (petrol, diesel. oil etc.) pushed thru by the blower fan if your car has an unfiltered air system.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-26-2011 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Typo.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.