Thread: 'Wing pics/update

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

'Wing pics/update

Today I got my first good look at my new (to me) '83 GL650 Silverwing Interstate. I think I got a great deal.

Bike appears to be nearly perfect; has a few little scratches here and there but otherwise is an extremely presentable example with still-shiny paint, good chrome and everything stock/correct and not messed with.

I charged up the battery and she started right up - even though it is barely 20 degrees here. A good sign. After letting the bike warm up, I changed the oil/filter. Replaced both plugs (V-twin engine) and also the air filter - which appeared to be the original factory unit.

Fluid in the brake reservoir is clear/new looking; coolant looks good, too. Someone took care of this bike!

I can't wait to take her out for her first ride... meanwhile, here are some pics I just took:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Today I got my first good look at my new (to me) '83 GL650 Silverwing Interstate. I think I got a great deal.

Bike appears to be nearly perfect; has a few little scratches here and there but otherwise is an extremely presentable example with still-shiny paint, good chrome and everything stock/correct and not messed with.

I charged up the battery and she started right up - even though it is barely 20 degrees here. A good sign. After letting the bike warm up, I changed the oil/filter. Replaced both plugs (V-twin engine) and also the air filter - which appeared to be the original factory unit.

Fluid in the brake reservoir is clear/new looking; coolant looks good, too. Someone took care of this bike!

I can't wait to take her out for her first ride... meanwhile, here are some pics I just took:
    Has your new 'bike got a CB radio fitted? That looks like a center loaded CB whip aerial at the back. Everything looks sweet so far, Eric. Jus' waitin' for the first ride report!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

sweet bike Eric. I've always like the silverwings and have wanted one for some time. If I ever get back to riding (hope to some day), I either want to get me another nighthawk 550 or a silverwing. Personally I prefer the older bikes over the newer ones.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    sweet bike Eric. I've always like the silverwings and have wanted one for some time. If I ever get back to riding (hope to some day), I either want to get me another nighthawk 550 or a silverwing. Personally I prefer the older bikes over the newer ones.
    Tim!

Thanks man; and, good to see you back here!

As you may know, the Silverwings (GL500 and GL650) are based on the CX500. They're powered by a "twisted" V-twin that has a rep. for being exceptionally durable/reliable. (Remember the CX500 Turbo?)

I was motivated to look for one by my friend Graves (a lurker here), who owns three GL500 Interstates. I wanted the 650 version (1983 only) because I probably weigh 100 pounds more than Graves and the extra power of the larger engine will be helpful there.

The one I found - after looking seriously for about six months - turned out to be a real find. Very nice original condition, with only 12,790 miles on it. Brand-new Pirelli tires. Doesn't seem to need anything (so far) except routine maintenance (oil and filters, etc.) and I got it for just $1,500!

Wow that was a good find for that price. Congrats on getting it.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Wow that was a good find for that price. Congrats on getting it.
    If you're patient and willing to expand your search to the entire country and not just within your area, you'll be pleasantly surprised at how many nice older ('70s and '80s era) bikes are around out there for less than $3,000.

I think prices are going to go up - a lot - as people face the prospect of $4 gas, which I think will be here by spring. So, my advice would be to keep your eyes and ears open - and search around - and when you find a good bike, jump on it!

Nico Eric nice,I'm looking forward to riding down there and enjoying some curves down yonder Virgina way. Maybe you got some back roads that can challenge a road dog such as myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Nico Eric nice,I'm looking forward to riding down there and enjoying some curves down yonder Virgina way. Maybe you got some back roads that can challenge a road dog such as myself.
    One of the many reasons we moved here is the backdrop: Gorgeous scenery; great - and little traveled - roads. Our place is less than two miles from the Blue Ridge Parkway (mile post 145), right on top of the "ridge" at about 2,800 feet.

I am conspiring (with myself) to wheedle the wife into taking a trip with me this summer down the Parkway to Asheville, NC. It's almost a straight shot on the Parkway from here to there, with maybe 10 minutes of non-Parkway riding once you're there, to make a stop at the Biltmore (which is worth seeing if you're ever in the area).

Just another two months of winter!