Thread: Servicing the 'Wing

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Servicing the 'Wing

So far, I've done a few basic maintenance chores on the new (to me) '83 Honda: Oil and filter change; air filter change; shaft drive differential lube change.

Doing this work has reminded me of how wonderful those '70s and '80s-era Hondas are to work on. For example, to remove/replace the air filter, all you need to do is remove the right side plastic cover (pops on and off; no tools necessary) then rotate - by hand - and pull out the cylindrical air cleaner element. No tools needed. Ingenious!

Servicing the differential requires tools - a 10 mm socket for the drain plug and a 17 mm socket to remove the fill plug. But it's literally a 5 minute job.

Tomorrow, I'm gonna flush the brake system and refill withe fresh brake fluid. I also decided to install new pads, even though the ones on the bike still have 50 percent of their surface left. It's 28 years old, after all, and those pads are probably original equipment. I like to know my brakes are fully up to snuff!

I also plan to drain/refill the radiator/cooling system - again, not because I believe the bike absolutely needs it, but because I don't know how old that coolant is and like to know it's good.

Everything else seems 100 percent. I may do a valve clearance check but given 12,785 miles I don't think it will need any adjustment. However, I need to find out what the service interval is - and I have a shop manual on order for that.

It's snowing out again, but I am having fun in my garage!

Suggestion: In the future, remove the fill bolt before you remove the drain bolt.

Two advantages:
    1. Lets the fluid drain faster because there isn't a vacuum
    2. Should the fill bolt be frozen in place, you aren't stuck with an undriveable piece of machinery.

Chip H.

Since you're replacing the coolant, replace the thermostat while you're at it. They are cheap and can cause a LOT of trouble if they fail closed. Be sure to use low silica Honda coolant too. A lot of Goldwings had water pump failures because of high silica content coolant.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Suggestion: In the future, remove the fill bolt before you remove the drain bolt.

Two advantages:
    1. Lets the fluid drain faster because there isn't a vacuum
    2. Should the fill bolt be frozen in place, you aren't stuck with an undriveable piece of machinery.

Chip H.
    Yep - I always do that!

Jut like taking off the oil filler cap before removing the drain bolt.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Since you're replacing the coolant, replace the thermostat while you're at it. They are cheap and can cause a LOT of trouble if they fail closed. Be sure to use low silica Honda coolant too. A lot of Goldwings had water pump failures because of high silica content coolant.
    Thanks, Paul - I hadn't thought about that. I will stop by the store today. I definitely will use only the Honda coolant. I knew about that one!