Thread: Can't decide: Muscle or Classic??

Can't decide: Muscle or Classic??

I'm trying to choose the right forum and cannot decide whether to post questions in the Classic or Muscle forum. Oh well, here goes.....

The car is an '86 El Camino, 305 V8. It needs a few minor things fixed, but runs great. I'd like to do the repairs with stock items - I hate pimped-out cars.

Are there any suggestions on places to order certain parts? Other than Chevy, I mean...

First off, wherever you post is fine. We can always move it.

Second, this seems like a good enough spot.

I get a lot of parts from NAPA.

What parts are you looking for?

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    I'm trying to choose the right forum and cannot decide whether to post questions in the Classic or Muscle forum. Oh well, here goes.....

The car is an '86 El Camino, 305 V8. It needs a few minor things fixed, but runs great. I'd like to do the repairs with stock items - I hate pimped-out cars.

Are there any suggestions on places to order certain parts? Other than Chevy, I mean...
    What Dom said! And welcome - and sorry about previously deleting you. Spammers run amok drove me amok!

Your car has all kinds of potential; I remember them well and wish they still made 'em.

The 305 is a great little V-8. It is also very receptive to minor modifications (such as a better exhaust system) for improved performance.

On cosmetic stuff, Dom and I were talking about his EC and fitting it with '80-81 Z28 mags, which were also factory options for the mid-'80s Monte Carlo SS - same basic car as yours where it counts.

This piece of advice is for everyone.

Don't buy Weld Racing rims!

I have less than 10,000 miles on them and can't get them to balance.

Never hit a curb, or even big bumps!

-Mussolini

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    This piece of advice is for everyone.

Don't buy Weld Racing rims!

I have less than 10,000 miles on them and can't get them to balance.

Never hit a curb, or even big bumps!
    That's one reason I stick with the factory stuff. To me, they look better - and the engineering/fit is a known good deal.

You know what else would probably fit both your cars? The aluminum 15x8 "snowflakes" that were available optionally on the '78-81 Trans Am. There's also a very neat "turbine" wheel (in 15x8) that was used on the '79 10th Anniversary TA, the Daytona Pace Car and a few others.

Very sharp!

Thanks guys!
    I have the original set of wheels, but the El C came with a new set that look really good on the car. So, I have 2 sets of wheels.

The radiator that someone (?) replaced is too small - it's a 2 coil, and I need a 3. I have discovered El Camino parts.com. They have a radiator.

Hubby suggested improving the exhaust with headers. Why? Seriously, I do not know why. Someone please explain.

Looking 4: a replacement vinyl dash cover. All I can find are carpet or velour - yuck.

I found a place that has a radiator. I want to replace the dash panel idiot lights with guages - El Camino parts.com has a dash panel and three of the guages I want to install. They also have a whole panel that comes with the guages.

Any advice on those? I don't want to assume that since it fits the dash that all the guages will work, especially since it was not originally designed for guages.

Cosmetics: I am looking for a replacement dash cover. The original has cracks. I want vinyl and all I can find are carpet or velour - yuck. Is my best bet a junkyard?
    Also, snap-on bed cover. I have found a couple of new ones, but nothing to replace the original with snaps.

I entertain all suggestions~

hee hee - No, I am not a spammer~Just a girl with a car.

Thanks guys!
    I have the original set of wheels, but the El C came with a new set that look really good on the car. So, I have 2 sets of wheels.

The radiator that someone (?) replaced is too small - it's a 2 coil, and I need a 3. I have discovered El Camino parts.com. They have a radiator.

Hubby suggested improving the exhaust with headers. Why? Seriously, I do not know why. Someone please explain.

Looking 4: a replacement vinyl dash cover. All I can find are carpet or velour - yuck.
    You will get some power by replacing the stock manifolds with tube headers; you'll also take about 40 pounds of dead weight off the nose of the car, too.

But, some cautions:

Be very very careful about trying to remove the factory manifolds; if these are the original units from the 1980s, the chances are very good a stud (or several) will break off in the head as you try to loosen the bolt. Then you are stuck having to pull the cylinder head to drill and tap and Heli-coil the ruined stud.

Before you even think about trying to loosen those bolts, soak them with a penetrant such as PB-40 for a day or two. Then apply torque slowly and carefully to your wrench. Use one with a long handle to get leverage.

Choose quality headers - not generics - and choose a set to fit your specific car.

You're gonna need to redo the exhaust pipes, too. If your engine is otherwise stock, 2 1/4 inch pipe will be about right. Find good shop to build your system.

Probably the total cost will be around $500 for the headers and the exhaust work.

It ought to be worth as much as 15-20 hp, because the factory stock exhaust system on you car was very restrictive!

Thanks guys!

On the dash stuff, here's what you're looking for!

http://www.justdashes.com/

I had a '72 that I thought was a clone. It wasn't. I got a lot of parts from this place.

http://www.opgi.com/

Personally, I like the factory stock rims painted black. Blacken the axle center hub and wheel bearing cover, add some chrome lug nuts and you've got a unique and cleaner look
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

With a little work you can find ANY part for this car for super cheap.

I've found dash covers before, but just spent two second and found this one for $60.

http://www.car-stuff.com/carparts/ch...c4007221263051

You can find a Performer RPM intake for less than $200, a set of headers for around $100, two flow master mufflers for $150, and pay an exhaust guy a couple hundred to bend some pipe for you.

I have this setup on mine.

• Holly 750cfm vacuum secondary carb
    • Edelbrock performer RPM intake
    • Hooker headers
    • 2.5 true dual exhaust through flow masters

You could have that unit breathing nicely for less than 1k.

Also, you don't need to do it all. If you are going to do one thing for performance start with the exhaust. If you want to do more after that, do the intake and carb. You don't need a 750cfm a 650cfm is perfect. You might be able to use the quadrahog carb that is on it now with a performer rpm intake (might need an adapter plate though).

If your gauges are working, don't mess with them.

-Mussolini

Thanks bunches for the dash website. It looks like they might be able to fix one up for me.

Thanks Dom, but I want it replace/repaired/redone...I don't want to just cover it up. A friend referred me to this place in Colorado:
    http://www.coverlaymfg.com/

Surely there is somewhere in Texas that can do this...I just have to find them.<sigh>

I have no gauges, just idiot lights. I want to replace them with gauges...because I am an idiot where cars are concerned! This car is my opportunity to improve my powder-puff mechanics knowledge.

Ooohhh! I'm giddy looking at all those parts! Thanks so much, Mister Grouch.

Well, the black wheels llok gret on your SS, but I like the chrome ones that I have.

Thank you. I will keep that advice in mind when converting to headers.

I've used "JustDash's" in the past, and while I have some resevation over an personal ethic's issue, they do excellent work and I'd use them again.

Rex