Thread: Va. law everyone, especially clovers, needs to know about

Va. law everyone, especially clovers, needs to know about

Tried to post this under "Cloveritis" on the main page, but the system seems to have eaten it. Here goes:

"Clover" and similar ninnies might want to be aware of the law from the Virginia Code that appears below, with accompanying clarification from the Virginia State Police. I suspect this law passed in the first place because clovers in the left lane hampered troopers and other emergency responders in unmarked or civilian vehicles. It seems likely that some other states have a similar law.

I run into idiots such as Clover all the time, especially on Virginia route 10 in the eastern part of the state. Usually they are doing 10 mph or more UNDER the limit in the PASSING lane and hanging beside a vehicle moving at the same speed in the right lane. I simply want to be able to do the speed limit (or so), but people like this block the way illegally and often will not move over regardless of my signals. Nothing safe about this, and any experienced highway engineer will tell you that speed differentials (and not outright speed per se) cause the most accidents.

On a two-lane section of route 10 other clovers annoyed me by doing 35 in a 55 zone for miles and miles. They were in '40s and '50s cars leaving a car and tractor show, and while it was nice to see these restored collectibles on the road, it wasn't so nice to be stuck behind them for miles in no-passing zones as traffic backed up. They should have pulled over periodically to allow traffic to pass if they couldn't have done 55; farm implements and slow trucks routinely do this.

Here's the law in this state:

Virginia Code § 46.2-842.1. Drivers to give way to certain overtaking vehicles on divided highways.

It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway. On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so. A violation of this section shall not be construed as negligence per se in any civil action.

(1989, c. 708, § 46.1-211.1.)

“State Police say this applies even when faster traffic is speeding” [excerpt from posted article]:

"Sgt. F.L. Tyler, a public information officer with the state police office in Culpeper, said the following section of state code applies to left-lane hangers:

" 'It shall be unlawful to fail to give way to overtaking traffic when driving a motor vehicle to the left and abreast of another motor vehicle on a divided highway.'

"It continues: 'On audible or light signal, the driver of the overtaken vehicle shall move to the right to allow the overtaking vehicle to pass as soon as the overtaken vehicle can safely do so.'

"In other words, said Tyler, if you're in the left lane of a divided highway and going down the road, even with a vehicle to your right, the law requires that you give way and let a vehicle behind you pass.

"Specifically, he said, if you're in that situation and a vehicle behind you signals its intention to pass, by either honking a horn or flashing its lights, you are required to move to the right as soon as it's safe, and allow the signaling vehicle to pass.

"Failure to do so is a violation of the law, he said.

"Tyler said that applies even if the vehicle trying to pass is speeding, following too closely or operating in any other reckless manner.

" 'Leave it up to police officers to deal with any violations they might be committing. We'll handle that,' he said. 'But the law still requires you to move to the right and let them pass.'

"He noted that the law and common sense both are served by getting out of the way of a driver who's anxious and intent on passing.

" 'To ride along in that left lane and keep an agitated driver blocked in behind you isn't in anyone's best interest,' Tyler said.

"He noted that failing to allow a blocked-in vehicle to pass could cause danger another way.

" 'A frustrated driver who can't get by on the left is likely to try to squeeze through to the right,' said Tyler, whether there's enough room or not. 'Because of that, a third vehicle could be put at risk.'

"In addition to the legal requirements and the dangers posed by problem passing situations, the state police spokesman said safe driving techniques make clear it's a bad idea for vehicles to travel alongside each other any longer than necessary.

" 'Instead, if you're the car in that left lane, you want to get back to the right and give yourself a safety zone,' he said--an open lane to escape any dangers on the highway.

" 'If someone pulls out of a side road into your path, and you're side by side with another vehicle, where are you going?' he asked. An empty lane beside you provides an escape."

And there we have it! Thanks for posting this.

Posted it on the main page for you: Cloveritis

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Thanks for posting this!

Of course, the Clovers won't pay attention to this law - and even more unfortunately, the cops don't appear interested in enforcing it.

The tunnel visioned focus continues to be on "speeding."

Another peeve of mine that applies to Clovers: Tailgating. Very dangerous; commonplace - but rarely do you see a cop pull someone over for doing it.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Another peeve of mine that applies to Clovers: Tailgating. Very dangerous; commonplace - but rarely do you see a cop pull someone over for doing it.

I sometimes carry large flat washers in my pockets when I ride. I've had people follow so closely that I couldn't see their headlights as they were so close to my helmet box. Flip a washer over your shoulder at 60 mph and bye bye windshield. If anybody says anything? It was kicked up by my wheels and if they weren't tailgating it wouldn't have got them.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I sometimes carry large flat washers in my pockets when I ride. I've had people follow so closely that I couldn't see their headlights as they were so close to my helmet box. Flip a washer over your shoulder at 60 mph and bye bye windshield. If anybody says anything? It was kicked up by my wheels and if they weren't tailgating it wouldn't have got them.
    Doh! That is a good one.

I've thought of similar things except it involves brake fluid.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I don't know about the entire state of IL, but at least here in the town that I live in, there is a city ordinance that states of any debris is picked up your vehicle and causes damages to another vehicle (even if they were tailgating you close enough to wipe the dust off of your rear bumper), you are responsible for any damages caused, if they get your license plate number.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I don't know about the entire state of IL, but at least here in the town that I live in, there is a city ordinance that states of any debris is picked up your vehicle and causes damages to another vehicle (even if they were tailgating you close enough to wipe the dust off of your rear bumper), you are responsible for any damages caused, if they get your license plate number.

All you have to say is "my car/motorcycle was down for repair that day". Unless they have a video camera that shows you kicking it up, I think it would be easy to beat.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.