Thread: buying new (new to me) vehicle

Talking buying new (new to me) vehicle

Well, Monday I am trading in my F-150, for a new (new to me) vehicle. It is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee either) Sport 4 door 4 wheel drive with full power and air. It does have 2 minor surface rust spots that are very small that they are repairing as well as putting brand new tires on it for me. I put $3500 down on it today and take delivery of it Monday. It has 119K original miles on it and by the time they finish with it and I take deliver of it, it will be in perfect, show room condition. This is the newest & lowest mileage vehicle I have ever owned. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it home Monday.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Well, Monday I am trading in my F-150, for a new (new to me) vehicle. It is a 2000 Jeep Cherokee (not Grand Cherokee either) Sport 4 door 4 wheel drive with full power and air. It does have 2 minor surface rust spots that are very small that they are repairing as well as putting brand new tires on it for me. I put $3500 down on it today and take delivery of it Monday. It has 119K original miles on it and by the time they finish with it and I take deliver of it, it will be in perfect, show room condition. This is the newest & lowest mileage vehicle I have ever owned. I will post pictures of it as soon as I get it home Monday.

I bought a 2000 Cherokee Sport back in 2002. I sold it because it was like new and I didn't want to beat it up off road. I'd like to get another one. I took the aluminum wheels off it and got some stock steel rims from a guy at work who put fancy mags on the Jeep he had just bought. I painted the factory steel rims gloss black and left the center cap plain. $10 worth of paint and ot got looks. The guy I got the wheels from liked them better than the wheels he bought.

My father always told me though that when you buy a used vehicle, figure on brakes, tires and battery down the road a bit. My 2000 was a great driving Jeep though and didn't have any bad habits. I doubt you'll drive it ff road much but I had put a Warn Trans4mer system on the front with grill and headlight guards along with a hitch receiver front and rear. I plastered a Deer with it once and only had to wash some blood and fur off it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Wow - two new vehicles in a month!

Assuming it's in good shape and was well-cared-for, 119k is only about halfway through its life. You should be able it drive it for at least another 75k without major problems. Just keep up with the maintenance and don't beat on it. My '98 Nissan Frontier with 122k on the clock still runs and drives as nicely as my 60k, 2002 Frontier...
    Congrats!

Yeah you can tell that it was taking care off and not abused my any means. I wasn't able to take care of my truck like I wanted to since I didn't have the money, but now that I got disability coming in, I'll be able to take care of it with no problem. I do plan to swap the steel wheels that are on it now for a pair of alloy wheels. As far as going off road in it, thats not happening at all. I never take any of my vehicles off road.

Sounds like you got a good deal!

If you don't get maintenance records with it, prepare to change out all the fluids. Oil, coolant, transmission, transfer case, differential, brake, and power steering.

Judging by friends who have had Jeeps, you can't go by the maintenance schedule in the owner's manual - you need to be a lot more pro-active about changing fluids. My brother-in-law had a JGC, and had to replace the differential because Jeep/Chrysler was waay optimistic on the published service interval. Every 30k will probably be fine, but check on the boards to see what other high-mileage owners are doing.

Chip H.

I'm assuming you have the 4.0 HO engine. It's a really good and strong engine but the exhaust manifolds are prone to cracking. If the happens, put a header in there to get away from the problem permanently. You'll hear a farting sound from the side of the engine if it cracks. If it doesn't, don't worry about it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks for the info on the exhaust manifolds cracking. I'll keep that in mind. Yes it does have the 4.0 Liter in it. I plan to do all the fluid changes to it soon.

Ok, I should be getting my Jeep tomorrow. They took it to a local tire shop to have the new tires put on, and they didn't have them in stock and then when they got 'em delivered they screwed up & only had 3 of 'em delivered. The 4th one is supposed to be in around 7:30am, so I should be getting it after that.

Already the Jeep is finally here. I got some pictures of it as well.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow, that's in good shape. Looks like you got a great deal.

Chip H.

Thanks. It is in good shape. The molding on the passenger side front door is loose & it has 2 small spots of surface rust that are smaller then a penny, and I got to call the dealer tomorrow about when to take it back for them to fix those, as that was part of the purchase agreement but other then that it is in excellent condition.