Thread: 2000 Ford Windstar questions

Question 2000 Ford Windstar questions

My parents just bought a 2000 Ford Windstar, which has all the bells & whistles. One question, there are 3 buttons on the driver side sun visor and the middle button has a red led light above it and an arrow, and when you push any of the 3 buttons it doesn't do anything that we can tell other then cause the LED light to blink red once. Does anyone know what these buttons do, there is nothing I can find in the owners manual about it?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

My guess: The buttons are for a semi-standard remote control for garage doors. There should be an entry in the owners manual index or TOC for that.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    My parents just bought a 2000 Ford Windstar, which has all the bells & whistles. One question, there are 3 buttons on the driver side sun visor and the middle button has a red led light above it and an arrow, and when you push any of the 3 buttons it doesn't do anything that we can tell other then cause the LED light to blink red once. Does anyone know what these buttons do, there is nothing I can find in the owners manual about it?
    It is for the Home Link garage door opening system, Tim.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    First, God help them.

The Ford Windstar is a notorious piece of shit. I wish you'd posted sooner, while there was still time. Now, they're in for a tale of woe that will make a bout of anal cancer seem pleasant. I beg you to beg them to get rid of that road turd ASAP. A new Windstar was bad. An eleven-year-old Windstar, with high miles and long out of warranty - especially one with "all the bells and whistles" (read: more things that will go wrong) is a catastrophe.

Flee... run... leave the thing in a bad neighborhood with the keys in the ignition... and pray.

Thanks for the help as we had no clue what it was for. I can't speak for a 2000 Windstar but my parents last vehicle was a '96 Windstar and although it wasn't a perfect vehicle and has close to 200K miles on it, it was still a reliable vehicle until we hit a deer with it, causing the damage to the radiator, and then being ran overheated a couple of times causing the head gasket to fail. In my own opinion the Windstar isn't such a bad van. Of course that is nothing more then an opinion, as like my dad always said, opinions are like aholes, everyone has one.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Thanks for the help as we had no clue what it was for. I can't speak for a 2000 Windstar but my parents last vehicle was a '96 Windstar and although it wasn't a perfect vehicle and has close to 200K miles on it, it was still a reliable vehicle until we hit a deer with it, causing the damage to the radiator, and then being ran overheated a couple of times causing the head gasket to fail. In my own opinion the Windstar isn't such a bad van. Of course that is nothing more then an opinion, as like my dad always said, opinions are like aholes, everyone has one.
    I hope your parents defy the odds!

Check the 'Net for the Windstar's reputation; problems, recalls, etc. It was a disaster.

I know they may have a bad reputation but like I said the last Windstar they had wasn't such a bad van. Hopefully the new one won't be either.

Instructions for programming the HomeLink transmitter are here:
    http://www.homelink.com/home.php

Not every opener uses a frequency range & coding scheme that the HomeLink can operate, but give it a try.

Chip H.

Yeah I had one back in the day. IT wasn't bad but I believe the transmission was faltering after awhile around 90,000. Back then everybody drove minivans. One thing is it seems every Windstar I see always is missing at least one hub cap.

Chip thanks for the directions on using Home Link, however it does my parents no good as we only use are garage for storage of other items & not for parking vehicles in.