Thread: How Clovers cause wrecks...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

How Clovers cause wrecks...

Here's a textbook Clover... and an unfortunate result:

If the truck was causing the problem, then the truck (at some safe point) should have pulled over to let traffic pass. He was being inconsiderate to fellow drivers.

The van was also being a jerk about things. While I can understand his frustrations, what gives him more right to cut others off.

I can see trying to pass 1 or even 2 cars when possible. Trying to cut off 5+ cars at a time is foolish and possibly dangerous in my opinion.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    If the truck was causing the problem, then the truck (at some safe point) should have pulled over to let traffic pass. He was being inconsiderate to fellow drivers.

The van was also being a jerk about things. While I can understand his frustrations, what gives him more right to cut others off.

I can see trying to pass 1 or even 2 cars when possible. Trying to cut off 5+ cars at a time is foolish and possibly dangerous in my opinion.
    I agree, the van driver was being a dick (and a reckless dick, too). But I also think that Cloverism engenders such frustration that it incites people to desperate (and unsafe) measures. If the Clover at the head of this conga line had just pulled off and let the traffic stacking up behind him proceed at a reasonable pace, then the tense situation that led up to the van pulling his move would have been defused.

But - being a Clover - the guy was indifferent to the delays and obstruction he was responsible for. Screw those other people!

I used to live in the DC area and commuted into the city every day. It was incredibly frustrating, even enraging. Clovers created constant problems for other drivers, making an already tense situation even more so. Like rats in a Skinner Box, people lose patience eventually and lash out. On the road, they'll pull moves that are dangerous out of a desperate desire to get around/away from the Clover.

One can only take so much!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    If the Clover at the head of this conga line had just pulled off and let the traffic stacking up behind him proceed at a reasonable pace, then the tense situation that led up to the van pulling his move would have been defused.

But - being a Clover - the guy was indifferent to the delays and obstruction he was responsible for. Screw those other people!

. . .

One can only take so much!
    One act of consideration could alleviate so much frustration and aggravation.

I know it is the law in several states for one to pull over (if safe to do so) when a line of (I think it is 5 or more) vehicles forms behind your vehicle.
    (although may not pertain in this case, it is "funny" how some people will drive the PSL because it is the law, but will not pull over even if it the law.)

In Europe, I have seen some roads with wide shoulders that permit people to ride safely on the shoulder to permit faster moving traffic to pass safely.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

"... it is "funny" how some people will drive the PSL because it is the law, but will not pull over even if it the law.)"

An excellent point.

Clovers will belabor "the law" incessantly when defending their doing just exactly the speed limit in the passing lane, even though there are obviously cars stacking up behind them - yet are almost always tone deaf and mute when it comes to the other law that says yield to faster-moving traffic (even if that traffic is "speeding").