Thread: new wheels

Smile new wheels

Well I'm now looking around at new wheels for my Jeep. I want to replace the cheap steel wheels that have wheel covers on them with a set of alloy wheels. I have one set booked marked on Ebay, and I'm going to the biggest wheel store in my area called the Hubcap and Wheel Store tomorrow to see what they have. I'm also going to be looking on craigslist. Keep your fingers crossed that I find me a pair that I like for a not to bad price. After I get me a new pair & have them put on, I will post pictures of the Jeep with them on there.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Well I'm now looking around at new wheels for my Jeep. I want to replace the cheap steel wheels that have wheel covers on them with a set of alloy wheels. I have one set booked marked on Ebay, and I'm going to the biggest wheel store in my area called the Hubcap and Wheel Store tomorrow to see what they have. I'm also going to be looking on craigslist. Keep your fingers crossed that I find me a pair that I like for a not to bad price. After I get me a new pair & have them put on, I will post pictures of the Jeep with them on there.

You're fortunate in that you can use wheels with a 5 on 4 1/2 lug pattern. Ford and Chrysler have both used that bolt pattern since the late 30's so you have a HUGE selection to pick from. Now, sometimes there's a problem putting Mopar wheels on a Ford as Ford is lug centric and Chrysler is hub centric. that means that sometimes you have to enlarge the center hole just a tad to fit a Mopar rim on a Ford. Since Jeep was built by Chrysler for years before your Jeep was built, you can use either.

For normal use I prefer black steel wheels with just chrome lug nuts for a slight dash of show. Black wheels don't show brake dust so bad. However, I have had some cars with fancy wheels. I like the 5 spoke type mag wheels. Paint the calipers and rear brake drums a bright color (I usually paint them red) and it really sets off the car. Red is just a preference but paint is a good idea. By painting the drum, you cut down on rust which holds heat. This lets the drum brakes run cooler under heavy usage. The calipers I paint just for show.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Thanks for the info. I'm not much in to black steel wheels though, I'm definitely going with chrome polished or silver alloy wheels. I didn't even think about painting the brakes, but I love the idea, and I think I might go that route. I'm not interested in buying and painting the brakes myself, and having someone else do it for me. Do you know if any shop will paint brakes or just particular places, if any?

I just bought me a set of Ridler 675 wheels for the Jeep today The finish on them is polished. They should arrive on Tuesday, and then I'll set up an appointment to have them installed. Once I get them on the vehicle, I'll take a picture of them.
    Attached Images Attached Images