Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Disappointing MPG for Mahindra

  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628

    Disappointing MPG for Mahindra

    The EPA announced fuel economy ratings for the four-door, 4-wheel drive Mahindra TR40 pickup.

    19 city
    20 highway

    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...-1921-mpg.html

    Chip H.

  2. #2
    Staff
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Houston, TX
    Posts
    3,126
    That is pretty damned awful. I wish they would explain why the mileage is so bad.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    The EPA announced fuel economy ratings for the four-door, 4-wheel drive Mahindra TR40 pickup.

    19 city
    20 highway

    http://news.pickuptrucks.com/2011/02...-1921-mpg.html

    Chip H.
    For a diesel, that's awful.

    My Nissan Frontiers are similar in size (The Mahindra's slightly bigger, but not very much so) also 4WD - but on the highway can get 25-plus and that's with a gas engine.

    Something's not right. The Mahindra diesel must be very inefficient to max out at just 20 highway.

  4. #4
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Dag that is bad! My thirty year old toy car does better than that!

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago vicinity
    Posts
    549
    Junk I'll never get one. I'll be looking at diesel for my next vehicle but has to be special in more ways in order for me to put my hard earned money on one. I thought diesels are better in fuel economy then regular vehicles.

  6. #6
    That is poor. Even my 33 year old 240D, whose bigger (2.2 vs 2.4) engine is always maxed out, gets 24-27 MPG. I thought these were supposed to harness new technology?

    No one is going to buy these things, the quality probably sucks, the customer service sucks, they look like shit, and the only reason most people were considering it is now gone.

    This mileage is for the crew cab, curb weight is over 4,500 lbs. Maybe the engine is working too hard.

  7. #7
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by dieseleverything View Post
    That is poor. Even my 33 year old 240D, whose bigger (2.2 vs 2.4) engine is always maxed out, gets 24-27 MPG. I thought these were supposed to harness new technology?

    No one is going to buy these things, the quality probably sucks, the customer service sucks, they look like shit, and the only reason most people were considering it is now gone.

    This mileage is for the crew cab, curb weight is over 4,500 lbs. Maybe the engine is working too hard.
    Yep.

    And even allowing for the weight of the crew cab a similar (current) Nissan Frontier crew cab V-6 (gas) or Toyota Tacoma gets better than 20 MPGs on the highway.

    Why bother with the Mahindra?

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    I was thinking it was a real porker, but the 4500 lb curb weight is actually less than my Ridgeline (4800 lbs), and I get about the same mileage on the highway (20 mpg).

    Of course, my city mileage is way below theirs because the diesel has much better torque. (15mpg for the Honda, 19 for the Mahindra).

    Chip H.

  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    I was thinking it was a real porker, but the 4500 lb curb weight is actually less than my Ridgeline (4800 lbs), and I get about the same mileage on the highway (20 mpg).

    Of course, my city mileage is way below theirs because the diesel has much better torque. (15mpg for the Honda, 19 for the Mahindra).

    Chip H.
    Heck a 4 MPG split isn't all that much given your Honda's a much larger vehicle.
    The Mahindra's a turkey.

    It's not cheap; it doesn't get good mileage.
    It's ugly; it's slow.

    Why would anyone buy one?

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Raleigh NC, USA
    Posts
    3,628
    They're roughly comparable: 4 doors, 4 wheel drive, 5 foot bed. The difference is that the Mahindra has a frame & leaf-springs, so it's able to carry a lot more weight (10,000 pound GVWR if I recall correctly, vs. 6,000 for the Ridgeline). But that isn't enough to explain the sucky mileage it gets.

    I expect Mahindra reps to blame the EPA test routine for "Not reflecting the true character of the vehicle".

    Oh, and if I were to be in an accident, I know which one I'd rather be in...

    Chip H.

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,750
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    They're roughly comparable: 4 doors, 4 wheel drive, 5 foot bed. The difference is that the Mahindra has a frame & leaf-springs, so it's able to carry a lot more weight (10,000 pound GVWR if I recall correctly, vs. 6,000 for the Ridgeline). But that isn't enough to explain the sucky mileage it gets.

    I expect Mahindra reps to blame the EPA test routine for "Not reflecting the true character of the vehicle".

    Oh, and if I were to be in an accident, I know which one I'd rather be in...

    Chip H.
    ...not to mention resale value!

Similar Threads

  1. Disappointing Article from Ron Paul
    By swamprat in forum What happened to our liberty?
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-25-2009, 09:27 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •