Thread: Fuuuuuutttthhballlll on TV

Staff

Fuuuuuutttthhballlll on TV

As I write here, my girlfriend has Stuporbowl XLV playing on the TV. I, of course, think that it is a whole lot of crap. Particularly disturbing is blatant militiarism being played out at this game. After Christina Agularia Malaria botched the national anthem, there were 4 F-16 fighters flying in a diamond pattern above the stadium. Now, the sports announcers are giving everyone a play by play of the jock sniffing going on on the field.

About the only good things are the stupor bowl commercials. If advertisers had anything on the ball, they would play ads like it year round. I can't wait till its over.

I will probably join the woman for some beer swilling, but I got to be at work at 6:30AM tomorrow, so I have better things to do.

Almost barfed at the Go Daddy commercial.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Staff
    Eric - are you watching Fuuuuuutttthhballll?

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    As I write here, my girlfriend has Stuporbowl XLV playing on the TV. I, of course, think that it is a whole lot of crap. Particularly disturbing is blatant militiarism being played out at this game. After Christina Agularia Malaria botched the national anthem, there were 4 F-16 fighters flying in a diamond pattern above the stadium. Now, the sports announcers are giving everyone a play by play of the jock sniffing going on on the field.

About the only good things are the stupor bowl commercials. If advertisers had anything on the ball, they would play ads like it year round. I can't wait till its over.

I will probably join the woman for some beer swilling, but I got to be at work at 6:30AM tomorrow, so I have better things to do.
    The female jocksniffers are particularly annoying. It's as though they now have to out-macho the men by showing how much they know (and care about) pro sports.

Eric - are you watching Fuuuuuutttthhballll?
    Hell no!

I am proud to state that until last week I managed to avoid even knowing which teams were playing.

It was a beautiful day - sunny and almost tolerably warm (46 degrees), so I went for a ride on my motorcycle; took it to over to my pal Graves' place and let him check it out while I rode one of his antique Hondas ('67 Dream).

In other words, I did something - me, myself - involving something real - instead of gawping at the TV for four hours of IQ lowering, imagining myself as somehow part of a "team" and convincing myself that "we" won and such horseshit.

Pro sports is religion less the promise of life everlasting. But it has everything else:

Unearned achievement
    Relentless hype
    Mass/mob appeal
    Hero worship
    Keeps 'em occupied and addled distracted
    Make money off 'em.

No fuhhhhhttttball for me.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The female jocksniffers are particularly annoying. It's as though they now have to out-macho the men by showing how much they know (and care about) pro sports.
    I know what you mean. Firsthand. I am the only guy she has met that hates Fuuuuuttthhbaaaaaaalll.

I didn't know the teams either nor could I care less.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Hell no!

I am proud to state that until last week I managed to avoid even knowing which teams were playing.

It was a beautiful day - sunny and almost tolerably warm (46 degrees), so I went for a ride on my motorcycle; took it to over to my pal Graves' place and let him check it out while I rode one of his antique Hondas ('67 Dream).

In other words, I did something - me, myself - involving something real - instead of gawping at the TV for four hours of IQ lowering, imagining myself as somehow part of a "team" and convincing myself that "we" won and such horseshit.

Pro sports is religion less the promise of life everlasting. But it has everything else:

Unearned achievement
    Relentless hype
    Mass/mob appeal
    Hero worship
    Keeps 'em occupied and addled distracted
    Make money off 'em.

No fuhhhhhttttball for me.
    Horeseshit is the perfect word for that. Agreed on all points. Try explaining that to a football fan, though. Nearly impossible.

I know what you mean. Firsthand. I am the only guy she has met that hates Fuuuuuttthhbaaaaaaalll.

I didn't know the teams either nor could I care less.
    One of the very sad markers of American life is that there is heavy pressure for men to at least pretend they care about sports. Note - not about being active themselves and actually playing a sport - but following pro/college sports.

That makes you "macho." A "man's man." In this fucked-up society of ours.

It's very odd that that the most sedentary, not-physical themselves men - guys who often never played sports when young and who don't do anything as adults except watch TV, commute to a cube farm and pay bills - equate manliness with closely following some "team." Of which they're not a part - except as one of the many millions of boobs who has been convinced to self-tax and throw money at the afa-letes.

I know several guys who are very active/rugged dudes - who don't give a fuck about watching sports.

But I know several others - all of them horribly out of shape, who never do anything physical - who live for "the game."

My theory: Our society systematically emasculates men; but men need to feel manly - and obsessing about sports is a way to give that to them, to dissipate the manly anger - without any threat to the system.

Note that pre-fuhhhhtttttball America was a much manlier country.