Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Clover on two wheels

  1. #1
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,720

    Clover on two wheels

    Memo: If you've never driven a stick car before, it's not a good idea to try to learn to ride a motorcycle by hopping on a 150 hp sport bike:


  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Chicago vicinity
    Posts
    549
    Scoundrel punk ,"go to school and learn punk". Anyway I rode with a clover old bird last fall. She had a old Harley Sporster and had a major accident with it not too long ago. She did alright was robotic and slow on turns but you know she always managed to get to the next destination just not too fast. I'll take that kind of clover over a punk anytime.

  3. #3
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    Scoundrel punk ,"go to school and learn punk". Anyway I rode with a clover old bird last fall. She had a old Harley Sporster and had a major accident with it not too long ago. She did alright was robotic and slow on turns but you know she always managed to get to the next destination just not too fast. I'll take that kind of clover over a punk anytime.
    Yep!

    That guy's friend (the one "showing him how to ride") did him no favors.

    I wonder whose bike it was...

    Probably totaled it. Replacing the plastic alone on those sport bikes can do that real quick.

    No respect for the machine - let alone the dumb-ass's life!

    It's like giving flying lessons to someone by strapping them into an F-16 and saying, "push this, hang on... you'll be fine!"

    If you want to learn to ride, start with something small, light and easy to control - a small cc dirt bike is perfect. You can learn balance and working the clutch on grass, too - where it'll hurt you (and the bike) a lot less when you (inevitably) drop it....

  4. #4
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Nuts!

    I say for anyone who really wants to ride a motorcycle, start on a small dirt bike if possible.

    If not a on a dirt bike get something that is not powerful enough to blast you off (nothing capable of wheelies, or burnouts).

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  5. #5
    Senior Member Mithrandir's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    256

    Post

    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Nuts!

    I say for anyone who really wants to ride a motorcycle, start on a small dirt bike if possible.

    If not a on a dirt bike get something that is not powerful enough to blast you off (nothing capable of wheelies, or burnouts).
    Do you mean a 50cc motorcycle?

    I would probably need to start on something smaller than 125cc.

    I could see me giving too much throttle and have the bike run out from me unintentionally.

    I would need to be comfortable with the shifting and throttle before I could move up in power (displacement).

    This reminds me of a friend that almost ran his cousins motorcycle into the curb. Fortunately he did not damage anything or anyone.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

    'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

    What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

    Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

  6. #6
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,720
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Do you mean a 50cc motorcycle?

    I would probably need to start on something smaller than 125cc.

    I could see me giving too much throttle and have the bike run out from me unintentionally.

    I would need to be comfortable with the shifting and throttle before I could move up in power (displacement).

    This reminds me of a friend that almost ran his cousins motorcycle into the curb. Fortunately he did not damage anything or anyone.
    A modern four-stroke dirt dual sport in the 250 cc range is a very docile, easy to learn on bike.

    I have one; a 2000 KL250 - and I've taught three people the basics of riding on it.

  7. #7
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    Do you mean a 50cc motorcycle?

    I would probably need to start on something smaller than 125cc.

    I could see me giving too much throttle and have the bike run out from me unintentionally.

    I would need to be comfortable with the shifting and throttle before I could move up in power (displacement).
    If you are really serious about it and not in a rush here's what I suggest.

    A 4 stroke dirt bike (250cc or less) and preferably with a low profile (low seat).

    Put some rugged jeans on (no loose fitting stuff), some boots, gloves (work gloves from Lowes are fine), and a helmet.

    Get the bike out in the dirt, or sand and have at it.

    Once you have all that, understand the clutch is your friend and don't be scared to pull it in and press the brakes ANYTIME!

    Also, right off the bat get into the habit of using both brakes at the same time ALWAYS, or at least until you feel like doing rear wheel skids for fun, or when you know you'll need to dump the bike and you'll just be using the rear to low side dump the bike (to prevent emergency road collisions normally).

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  8. #8
    Senior Member bikerlbf406's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Granite City, Illinois
    Posts
    360
    Personally being someone that had no riding experience what so ever, and didn't even know where the controls were, I will always feel the best way for any new rider to start out is to take an ABATE or MSF course, especially since most MSF courses are free (at least here in Illinois). The very first time I got on a bike was a 250cc dirt bike at a friends house, and that was about a month before taking the MSF course. My buddy talked me in to trying to ride it, and did not even tell me where the controls were. I took off from a dead stop going full throttle and got it up to about 20mph in first gear, when I went to stop the bike as I was going to fast, I went to hit both brakes and thinking it was like a mountain bike, I pushed both handles in on the front thinking it was rear & front brakes. It wouldn't stop and the bike just slid out from right under me leaving me in a standing position and the bike going about 10 feet then falling over. Little did I know I was trying to use the clutch and front brake only to stop. I learned a lot from the MSF course and although I only had about a 6 months of good riding in, I only laid it down once and that was on the ice going around a corner at less then 5mph. I may still be new to riding compared to others, but that MSF course was the best move I ever made. Even if I did look like a clown riding their Honda 125cc bike. Personally I will never teach someone how to ride, I will only go over the basics I have learned, give them some pointers and instruct them to take an MSF course.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel


  9. #9
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,720
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Personally being someone that had no riding experience what so ever, and didn't even know where the controls were, I will always feel the best way for any new rider to start out is to take an ABATE or MSF course, especially since most MSF courses are free (at least here in Illinois). The very first time I got on a bike was a 250cc dirt bike at a friends house, and that was about a month before taking the MSF course. My buddy talked me in to trying to ride it, and did not even tell me where the controls were. I took off from a dead stop going full throttle and got it up to about 20mph in first gear, when I went to stop the bike as I was going to fast, I went to hit both brakes and thinking it was like a mountain bike, I pushed both handles in on the front thinking it was rear & front brakes. It wouldn't stop and the bike just slid out from right under me leaving me in a standing position and the bike going about 10 feet then falling over. Little did I know I was trying to use the clutch and front brake only to stop. I learned a lot from the MSF course and although I only had about a 6 months of good riding in, I only laid it down once and that was on the ice going around a corner at less then 5mph. I may still be new to riding compared to others, but that MSF course was the best move I ever made. Even if I did look like a clown riding their Honda 125cc bike. Personally I will never teach someone how to ride, I will only go over the basics I have learned, give them some pointers and instruct them to take an MSF course.

    Agree, the MSF course is excellent for new riders.

    Your point about the controls (location, function) is spot on. If you've never ridden before and are used to cars only, "bike stuff" such as brakes that aren't linked by a single control (and operated by different controls), the shift pattern, etc. can be very confusing until your brain learns/imprints it all.

Similar Threads

  1. Wheels
    By grouch in forum Grouch's Garage
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 03-24-2011, 10:37 AM
  2. new wheels
    By bikerlbf406 in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 01-28-2011, 07:09 PM
  3. Nothing to do with two wheels.
    By Ken in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-27-2009, 11:39 PM
  4. New Job- 2 wheels
    By Kwozzie1 in forum On Two Wheels
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-25-2007, 08:22 AM
  5. ON THREE WHEELS
    By Jim Rose in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-16-2007, 02:04 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •