Thread: Yesterday was ok....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Yesterday was ok....

Weather-wise. It hit 40 degrees, which felt summery compared with what we've been dealt so far.

So I unshrouded one of my other bikes - a '76 Kz900 - and took it out for a quick run-up.

I love these '70s and '80s-era Japanese bikes. Even after sitting for two-plus months, the old Kaw fired up on the second kick (yes, it has electric start, but I always use the kicker; it's part of what makes the bike what it is to me) and quickly settled into a strong idle, ready to go.

Unlike my '83 GL650, the Kaw has zero wind protection. It's as naked as it gets and when the air temp is 40 (maybe, in the sun), your ride will be short and tough.

But I was able to do the "loop" - the appx. 5 mile stretch of road that runs from our place to the main road, and back again. Did a few very quick runs up to 70 or so, just to clear the carbs.

She's rarin' to go, ready for better weather...

And, so am I!

That's pretty good Eric ,got it out and rode it. 40 degrees is still pretty cold in my book. Anyway been hearing 50 degrees next week. This ought to warm everyones hearts. Daytona Bike Week is coming up. The official start of biking season. I'd like to go again and haven't shut the door on any rides adventures yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post
    That's pretty good Eric ,got it out and rode it. 40 degrees is still pretty cold in my book. Anyway been hearing 50 degrees next week. This ought to warm everyones hearts. Daytona Bike Week is coming up. The official start of biking season. I'd like to go again and haven't shut the door on any rides adventures yet.
    I think we all have cabin fever!

I like to at least try to get each bike out once a month, if only for a brief ride. I think it's the way to keep them in good running order vs. having them sit for 3-4 months during the off season. But it's been way too cold to even think about that since December - plus the snow/ice/salt on the roads.

it's cleared up decently and it may get into the 50s here today. I have some stuff to do around the house but after lunch, if it looks promising, I may try to go for a ride!

I haven't done Daytona. Now that I have a long-haul bike, it's something I could consider doing.

I will definitely be doing some adventures this summer - including a planned trip from here to Asheville, NC to the Greenbrier. I can do the entire trip, just about, on the Blue Ridge Parkway - a perfect road for a leisurely weekend cruise!

Finally....was able to get out and do a short ride - about 100 miles with a stop for breakfast thrown in. Only got to about 42, but that's alright. Man, did I need that ride!!!

Good food, good ride, good friends - That's what it's all about.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Wallace's bed and breakfast is open for ya..... Stop by when you're in the neighborhood.

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Finally....was able to get out and do a short ride - about 100 miles with a stop for breakfast thrown in. Only got to about 42, but that's alright. Man, did I need that ride!!!

Good food, good ride, good friends - That's what it's all about.
    Y'all are making me jelous. It's supposed to get into the 50s later this week but I have a 4 foot deep snow and ice pile between the bike and the road that will probably keep me from getting it out unless I cut it down as the week progresses.... HMMMMMM

Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    Y'all are making me jelous. It's supposed to get into the 50s later this week but I have a 4 foot deep snow and ice pile between the bike and the road that will probably keep me from getting it out unless I cut it down as the week progresses.... HMMMMMM
    Gawd... you have my deepest sympathies!

It got into the low 50s here - spent a good hour on the GL650, knocking around the county. Bumped into my state cop neighbor - who is also into old bikes - and we BS'd about bikes for a while after I showed him my new wheels.

No snow in sight and moderate weather apparently on deck for next week... we may be out of the woods! Once it gets to be late Feb., winter will be in its death throes at last!

Wallace's bed and breakfast is open for ya..... Stop by when you're in the neighborhood. __________________
    Charlie

Yes Sir thanks Charlie. Next time I go will take it easier and meet that other guy that lives in Florida (Billy) he's always emailing me to go and upset a little we didn't meet last time. I really think Eric would like it too as there is so much to do and see there. I love test riding different bikes and just taking it. That was great fun and count me in for another time but it won't be this year need stronger coin. I'd like to ride there again but I'll keep all options open.

Wednesday we had 8" of snow on the ground. Today it got up to 65.

Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Wednesday we had 8" of snow on the ground. Today it got up to 65.
    Hope it all melted!

Snow has worn out its welcome; Arctic cold, too.

I hope this recent (last two years) pattern is a blip, an aberration - and not the New Normal.

I'm real sick of 3-4 months of absolute shit weather each year. Biting cold and constant snow. If I'd wanted to live like an Eskimo - life on hold for a third of the year, hunkered indoors, huddled by the stove - I'd have moved to Alaska or Montana (or even Minnesota). But this sort of weather is extreme for SW Virginia... for the South.

It's one of the few things that could motivate me to move.

Winter sucks ass. You can't ride; you can't drive (classic cars especially). And unless you have a heated garage, even working on them is a PITAS.

Throw winter in the woods!