Thread: Thank God I don't live in VA

Staff

Thank God I don't live in VA

Rolling right turn to be reckless driving.

Is there anything stopping those goons?

http://thenewspaper.com/news/34/3404.asp

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Rolling right turn to be reckless driving.

Is there anything stopping those goons?

http://thenewspaper.com/news/34/3404.asp
    And of course it was pushed by a jowly, bald-headed god-damned Republican.

It's another case in point: Republicans, true to the ancestry of their party, are police state martinets. Authoritarians, who only like "freedom" as a talking point. What they really like is controlling others.

I can't even stand to look at the picture of that GOP piece of shit....

Another laws hatched from a retarded incubator.

Sweet, before you know it we'll all be criminals.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Uh......is Virginia even in the same country as Indiana????? Here, if you roll through a red light without stopping, whether you're going straight or turning, it's running a red light and ticketed as such. I wonder if this guy is related to the city alderman in Chicago that tried to outlaw motorcycles on Lake Shore Drive a few years back. (It didn't work out. The city would have had to refund all the Federal road taxes it had received.)
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Uh......is Virginia even in the same country as Indiana????? Here, if you roll through a red light without stopping, whether you're going straight or turning, it's running a red light and ticketed as such. I wonder if this guy is related to the city alderman in Chicago that tried to outlaw motorcycles on Lake Shore Drive a few years back. (It didn't work out. The city would have had to refund all the Federal road taxes it had received.)
    This is the same state (my state - sigh) that imposed $3,000 "abuser fees" for minor speeding tickets (since repealed).

We're as dickheaded here when it comes to traffic laws as Chicongo is when it comes to gun control (aka victim disarmament) laws.

I did a few of these rolls just this evening!

Matter of fact, if think I did it 3 or 4 times today.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    I did a few of these rolls just this evening!

Matter of fact, if think I did it 3 or 4 times today.

I ALWAYS make a full stop and check traffic. Not because I believe in extreme law and order. Because we have a lot of drivers that....um....have their own reality on the road. Red lights are a suggestion to drivers around here. It's dangerous enough going through a green light, much less a red one.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I ALWAYS make a full stop and check traffic. Not because I believe in extreme law and order. Because we have a lot of drivers that....um....have their own reality on the road. Red lights are a suggestion to drivers around here. It's dangerous enough going through a green light, much less a red one.
    To me, the issue is one of proportionality. The charge/punishment - a "reckless driving" beef - and the huge fine that goes with it - don't fit the offense. It's excessive; ridiculously so.

VA is infamous for this sort of thing.

When the 55 MPH highway max was still in force, one could get (and I did get) cited for "reckless driving" for driving a ferocious 76 MPH (in excess of 20 MPH over the posted maximum, the statutory definition of "reckless driving" in VA) on the exact same highways that, today, are posted 70 MPH and where 76 MPH would be - at most - a minor speeding ticket.

Grossly unfair. Also disproportionate. A guy who physically assaulted someone probably ended up with less in the way of meaningful punishment than the poor Jo Citizen driver who got nailed by a radar cop for doing.... nothing.

Same deal here.

I guess if I was in VA I wouldn't have a license, as I make a rolling stop at all most every stop sign and when turning right on a red light, except if I see a cop or traffic coming. This is especially true if I'm on my bike, as I hate to put my feet down & take off from a dead stop. Thankfully you never see a cop in my town unless they're on a call, and even there undercover cars you can easily detect as being a cop. As will as I almost always drive at least 5, sometimes 10 mph over the posted limit, as half of the streets in this town, the speed limit is slow enough for a turtle to be considered speeding.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

This is the perfect town to break traffic laws in. Now if only the city would actually believe repairing their streets, instead of just throwing loose gravel in manholes large enough to lose a tire in, and not repair any pothole until it becomes a manhole. I always said & I always will say that instead of giving new motorcyclists a test a parking lot they should just take them on a half an hour drive of the city on their bike, and if they can survive without laying it down, they pass, as the streets in this town is close to impossible to drive in a car, bit more a bike, and it takes an excellent rider to keep from laying their bike down in this town.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Thumbs up Did not pass the VA Senate

Thanks to other sane Republicans in the Va Senate this bill will not become law.

Yeah I've been on LSD (Lake Shore Drive) more then a few times on my motorcycle. It's a beautiful ride but the nasty cab drivers are very dangerous. One just pulled in front of me while I was riding my bike on the drive nearly ending it for me. Could be dangerous but very scenic just watch everybody around you while seeing the Lake to the east and giant skyscrapers to the west.
    There is a band on trucks all trucks on Lake Shore Drive I think pick ups too. I usually try going on it occasionally to test my skill levels on the motorcycle and my machismo.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    To me, the issue is one of proportionality. The charge/punishment - a "reckless driving" beef - and the huge fine that goes with it - don't fit the offense. It's excessive; ridiculously so.

VA is infamous for this sort of thing.

When the 55 MPH highway max was still in force, one could get (and I did get) cited for "reckless driving" for driving a ferocious 76 MPH (in excess of 20 MPH over the posted maximum, the statutory definition of "reckless driving" in VA) on the exact same highways that, today, are posted 70 MPH and where 76 MPH would be - at most - a minor speeding ticket.

Grossly unfair. Also disproportionate. A guy who physically assaulted someone probably ended up with less in the way of meaningful punishment than the poor Jo Citizen driver who got nailed by a radar cop for doing.... nothing.

Same deal here.

I was passing through Va and got the statutory reckless driving charge slapped on me at a speed trap. I went to court: guilty. I appealed: guilty. I showed them my spotless 30-year driving record. I showed them my Ga. license so there was no reasonable expectation that I could have even known about this statute: guilty. It was all an illusion to even let me try and defend myself in the first place.

So now I'm a convicted criminal with a misdemeanor conviction and a rap sheet. Working as a contractor I wonder how it will affect my next background check.

They wanted $311 from me for the fine and court costs I told them I'd consider if they took the criminal conviction off my record b/c if they've already made a criminal out of me, why would I give them any money? Isn't that like paying someone to beat the shit out of you?

They said no way, so I didn't pay. I'm sure they'll suspend my license at some point but who gives a shit? I don't need the gov's permission to drive my own car, in my own country, on roads I paid for. Moving from point A to point B is a right, not a privilege.