Thread: Death on two wheels

Unhappy Death on two wheels

Warm weather is giving even the non-year 'round riders the urge to hit the road on their bikes. Yesterday, February 17th, a local man left a fast food eatery, pulled out on the road and hammered the throttle. About 100 yards later he rear ended a pickup turning left. He hit with such force that his bike folded up and he went into the side of a passing school bus loaded with kids. His body splattered the drivers side of the bus with blood and was in the drivers side wheel well and his head ended up in the right wheel well. He was killed instantly. He leaves tow small children.

Come on, lets ride safe. No matter who we are, somebody somewhere loves us. Is a short adrenaline rush worth it?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Warm weather is giving even the non-year 'round riders the urge to hit the road on their bikes. Yesterday, February 17th, a local man left a fast food eatery, pulled out on the road and hammered the throttle. About 100 yards later he rear ended a pickup turning left. He hit with such force that his bike folded up and he went into the side of a passing school bus loaded with kids. His body splattered the drivers side of the bus with blood and was in the drivers side wheel well and his head ended up in the right wheel well. He was killed instantly. He leaves tow small children.

Come on, lets ride safe. No matter who we are, somebody somewhere loves us. Is a short adrenaline rush worth it?
    Well, that sucks.

One "self-monitoring" thing I do is ease back into it, especially on sport bikes.

It's not unlike lifting weights or shooting guns any other type of repetitive skill. If you've been away for awhile, you need awhile to get back to where you were.

Everyone be careful out there....

I feel sorry for the guys family and loved ones, but lets not forget about those kids on the bus, they'll probably have nightmares for quite sometime being exposed to that. Everyone be safe out there.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV
    Is a short adrenaline rush worth it?
    Well, Eric? Is it?

-Don-

Wise words, Grouch. It always pays to build up one's ability after the winter layoff. I like to get a track-day in, early in the season, for just that purpose. It is the ideal place to build up the speed, over a few on-track sessions, get used to the adrenaline buzz again and practice turning in, braking really hard until the wheels chirp, picking braking and turn in points and generally becoming one with the bike again. I would also advise a track-day to get used to a new machine's handling and foibles. There is still danger travelling at speed on-track but there are usually good run off areas, soft bales and medical attention immediately to hand if, heaven forbid, it does go wrong and instructors to watch and give expert guidance.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-31-2011 at 08:06 AM. Reason: Typo
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    Well, Eric? Is it?

-Don-
    The answer: It depends.

Yes, I sometimes ride very fast. But I choose the time/place to do it so as to lower the risk. For example, I don't ride very fast in crowded areas, where there are too many variables I can't keep track of (let alone control). It's one thing to do a quick blast up to 160 on a desolate, wide-open stretch of road (one I know very well, too) with excellent sight lines, etc. vs. doing even 80 (or less) on a crowded road you don't know with cars and people and many other things besides all around.

I'm also very (hyper) conscious of sand/gravel/ice - which is one reason why I pretty much hang it up from late November to about now.

I never ride fast at night (deer) either - and whenever I ride, I am focused on riding.

The guy in Grouch's post did a really dumb thing. Or something I'd never do, anyhow.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I feel sorry for the guys family and loved ones, but lets not forget about those kids on the bus, they'll probably have nightmares for quite sometime being exposed to that. Everyone be safe out there.

A hotel next to the crash scene took the students into a room and kept them from seeing the victim recovery and the school system brought in grief counselors. Most of the students are 14-15 years old. The victim was very active in the community and the news is full of people who can'r believe it happened. Evidently, he was usually a good rider and just let his enthusiasm get away from him.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

I'm glad to hear all of the kids on the bus were teenagers, were taken somewhere not to see the victim and that they school brought in grief counselors. It would still be difficult though for those kids to get over it. After all even some adults have problem handling death, and a teenager isn't used to it.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    I'm glad to hear all of the kids on the bus were teenagers, were taken somewhere not to see the victim and that they school brought in grief counselors. It would still be difficult though for those kids to get over it. After all even some adults have problem handling death, and a teenager isn't used to it.

Unfortunately, they watched it happen. Kids eyes will be drawn to a motorcycle. Then to see the driver smashed against the side of their bus.... I had a badge for 10 years. We had a truck driver die on us at work. I did what I could but as I watched him turn blue, even with a defibrulator there, it was a helpless feeling and it bothered me for several days. Anytime someone went sour, regardless of what I was doing, it really got me down. I mentioned it to my chief once and he said that was why I was there. If it didn't bother me, I was in the wrong job.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The answer: It depends.
    A few years ago, we ( Tom & I) saw a guy get killed on a cycle in front of the RV park we were staying at near Vancouver, BC, Canada.

A guy in a RV was making a left turn into the RV park. The guy on the cycle thought he was only passing a car behind the RV. He tried to pass the car on the left.

The car was a "toad" (vehicle being towed) of the RV. He smashed right into the vehicle the RV was towing after accelerating to about 100 MPH to pass. His bike and him was under the toad, both in pieces.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    A few years ago, we ( Tom & I) saw a guy get killed on a cycle in front of the RV park we were staying at near Vancouver, BC, Canada.

A guy in a RV was making a left turn into the RV park. The guy on the cycle thought he was only passing a car behind the RV. He tried to pass the car on the left.

The car was a "toad" (vehicle being towed) of the RV. He smashed right into the vehicle the RV was towing after accelerating to about 100 MPH to pass. His bike and him was under the toad, both in pieces.

-Don-
    Hideous.

Years ago I almost got whacked by a no-signal, left turn in front of me car. It made me develop Rider Paranoia: I assume every car around me is going to do something like that. And ride accordingly. I think everyone ought to do the same.

Hideous.

Years ago I almost got whacked by a no-signal, left turn in front of me car. It made me develop Rider Paranoia: I assume every car around me is going to do something like that. And ride accordingly. I think everyone ought to do the same.
    That should be paraphrased - 'Develop Rider Paranoia. Assume everyone around you is out to kill you. Ride Accordingly!' The words should then be printed on the gas tank of every 'bike. It has been my personal safety outlook, drummed into me from day one by my Dad, since I started riding.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Hideous.

That's the most common cycle accident, some idiot turning left into a cycle.

-Don-

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    That should be paraphrased - 'Develop Rider Paranoia. Assume everyone around you is out to kill you. Ride Accordingly!' The words should then be printed on the gas tank of every 'bike. It has been my personal safety outlook, drummed into me from day one by my Dad, since I started riding.

Ken.

I just think of the Bell curve. If you graph the I.Q. of the population, it's thin at each end and thick in the middle. 100 is average on most I.Q. tests. That means that an I.Q. is average and the thickest part of the graph. At the bottom end, the people don't drive. Folks at the top end usually can't find their car keys so that narrows it down. Still, it means that half the drivers coming at you on the road are of sub-average intelligence. So, drive like an idiot is coming at you, you'll live longer.
    Honk if you love Jesus.