Thread: Florida Toll Road Sued for Holding Motorists Hostage

Staff

Florida Toll Road Sued for Holding Motorists Hostage

Federal class action lawsuit against Florida toll roads for unlawfully detaining motorists who pay cash.

A group of motorists earlier this month filed a federal class action lawsuit against Florida's toll road system for detaining motorists who attempt to pay the tolls with cash. About 600 miles worth of toll roads and bridges are under the jurisdiction of The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), which hands operational duties over to the private firm Faneuil, Inc., which is responsible for the toll collectors. The complaint charges both firms with false imprisonment and other civil rights violations.

"For approximately four years, FDOT and Faneuil have engaged in a practice of detaining motorists and their passengers on the Turnpike System until such motorists provided certain personal information in exchange for their release," attorney James C. Valenti wrote on behalf of the plaintiffs. "The motorists and passengers have been detained without their consent and without legal justification."

Under FDOT policies, motorists who pay with $50 bills, and sometimes even $5 bills, are not given permission to proceed until the toll collector fills out a "Bill Detection Report" with data about the motorist's vehicle and details from his driver's license. Those unwilling to provide personal information to the toll collector are offered no alternative because the toll collector will not open the barrier, preventing the car from moving forward. FDOT policy does not allow passengers to exit their vehicle, and backing up is illegal and usually impossible while other cars wait behind. Some of those paying in cash object to the idea of carrying the SunPass toll transponder on privacy grounds, but the use of cash is discouraged because it increases operating costs.

"The policy of detaining motorists without their consent and without legal justification extended throughout the Turnpike System and was so permanent and well settled that it constituted custom, practice or policy which has the force of law and rises to the level of deliberate indifference to plaintiff's and class members' constitutional rights," Valenti wrote. "It is believed that Defendants will continue the widespread practice of unlawful detentions and will continue to force vehicle occupants to provide personal information in exchange for their release, all in violation of plaintiffs' and class plaintiffs' Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights."

An estimated 262,800 drivers have been detained since October 2006. The lawsuit seeks an injunction prohibiting Faneuil and FDOT from further detaining motorists. Neither FDOT nor Faneuil has answered the February 8 complaint.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Federal class action lawsuit against Florida toll roads for unlawfully detaining motorists who pay cash.

A group of motorists earlier this month filed a federal class action lawsuit against Florida's toll road system for detaining motorists who attempt to pay the tolls with cash. About 600 miles worth of toll roads and bridges are under the jurisdiction of The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT), which hands operational duties over to the private firm Faneuil, Inc., which is responsible for the toll collectors. The complaint charges both firms with false imprisonment and other civil rights violations.

"For approximately four years, FDOT and Faneuil have engaged in a practice of detaining motorists and their passengers on the Turnpike System until such motorists provided certain personal information in exchange for their release," attorney James C. Valenti wrote on behalf of the plaintiffs. "The motorists and passengers have been detained without their consent and without legal justification."

Under FDOT policies, motorists who pay with $50 bills, and sometimes even $5 bills, are not given permission to proceed until the toll collector fills out a "Bill Detection Report" with data about the motorist's vehicle and details from his driver's license. Those unwilling to provide personal information to the toll collector are offered no alternative because the toll collector will not open the barrier, preventing the car from moving forward. FDOT policy does not allow passengers to exit their vehicle, and backing up is illegal and usually impossible while other cars wait behind. Some of those paying in cash object to the idea of carrying the SunPass toll transponder on privacy grounds, but the use of cash is discouraged because it increases operating costs.

"The policy of detaining motorists without their consent and without legal justification extended throughout the Turnpike System and was so permanent and well settled that it constituted custom, practice or policy which has the force of law and rises to the level of deliberate indifference to plaintiff's and class members' constitutional rights," Valenti wrote. "It is believed that Defendants will continue the widespread practice of unlawful detentions and will continue to force vehicle occupants to provide personal information in exchange for their release, all in violation of plaintiffs' and class plaintiffs' Fourth and Fourteenth Amendment rights."

An estimated 262,800 drivers have been detained since October 2006. The lawsuit seeks an injunction prohibiting Faneuil and FDOT from further detaining motorists. Neither FDOT nor Faneuil has answered the February 8 complaint.
    I hope they win; it's another "precedent moment." If they don't, then were one step closer to being required to carry some sort of transponder in our vehicles - something I suspect the Assholes who run this country most desperately want to happen.

It's going to be moot pretty soon.
    The FL Turnpike is rolling out license plate recognition systems. As of now, in Miami-Dade County, you roll through the tollbooths without stopping. If you don't have a transponder, the car's owner gets a bill, including a processing fee, in the mail. You _can't_ pay cash; they are getting rid of the booths and the attendants.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeHalloran View Post
    The FL Turnpike is rolling out license plate recognition systems. As of now, in Miami-Dade County, you roll through the tollbooths without stopping. If you don't have a transponder, the car's owner gets a bill, including a processing fee, in the mail. You _can't_ pay cash; they are getting rid of the booths and the attendants.
    You just can't beat automated billing! I love it...

It's only going to get better from here.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Sigh. Another sign of the times.

I'll bet you it's only a matter of time before they use this technology to "catch speeders" and so on.

How do I go back in time 30 years or so?

The future sucks ass.

Isn't this just great for a road that was built in 1957 and was to be a toll road for 20yrs untill the original construction was paid for....LOL

When it opened you could drive the whole length, Miami to Wildwood, for about $1.50. Now it costs over $5.00 to go from Miami to Homestead and back.... Progress!

Indiana has already done this. If you go west from Mt. Vernon Indiana, the toll booth is gone. You MUST have an EZPASS toll payment system. A camera takes a picture of your plate. You get one free pass. After that they send you a bill. Small businesses are getting hammered by people who go smewhere else as they don't want to pay all thjat money and only cross the bridge once or twice.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I have a SunPass. Unfortunately it doesn't interoperate with EZPASS systems.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sigh. Another sign of the times.

I'll bet you it's only a matter of time before they use this technology to "catch speeders" and so on.

How do I go back in time 30 years or so?

The future sucks ass.
    Our money used to say "All Debts... public and private" I wish someone with enough time/money would challange this act!

Just how in the hell does one travel across this once so great nation??? Toll Booths non existent, Money's no good, Transponders don't recognize other programs, what State is that Plate from??? National Lampoons Vacation looks better all the time.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    You just can't beat automated billing! I love it...

It's only going to get better from here.
    You can beat the automated plate system with this:

www.tricplate.com

www.tricplate.com
    I need one of those!

Good for them. It makes no sense for Florida to not have toll booths that accept cash considering the number of visitors to the state every year. Those who drive in from out-of-state will likely not have a Sun Pass and have no other alternative but to pay in cash.

I see that Florida is doing the same thing that Texas is doing: making roads that have already been paid for into cash cows for some "other entity".

Quote Originally Posted by J. ZIMM View Post
    Just how in the hell does one travel across this once so great nation??? Toll Booths non existent, Money's no good, Transponders don't recognize other programs, what State is that Plate from??? National Lampoons Vacation looks better all the time.
    Now this is scarry! I just received a bill from the FLA DOT. I guess my Harley looks like an SUV pulling a boat trailer! The dumb gooberment aholes miss read the tag number and sent me the bill. Over $4.00 bill for a vehicle I don't own in a place I wasn't. Gooberment response? Sorry, check back next week to see if it's cleared up.

If you don't qualify for a real job, work for the gooberment!

www.tricplate.com

Unfortunately, Indiana forbids anything over the plate. You can't even have a clear cover. The renewal tags must be exposed and uncovered. It's good as a primary stop because car thieves used to play tricks back in the 70's and it's never been changed.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieCLU View Post
    Now this is scarry! I just received a bill from the FLA DOT. I guess my Harley looks like an SUV pulling a boat trailer! The dumb gooberment aholes miss read the tag number and sent me the bill. Over $4.00 bill for a vehicle I don't own in a place I wasn't. Gooberment response? Sorry, check back next week to see if it's cleared up.

If you don't qualify for a real job, work for the gooberment!

A local guy got a ticket from New Jersey. He hadn't ever been there, the plate had the same numbers as his but in the picture, his Toyota Camry became a bus. Indiana used to have unique numbers with the county prefix, followed by a letter then a number. That was too easy to read and they changed everything to be like the rest of the country.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Indiana has already done this. If you go west from Mt. Vernon Indiana, the toll booth is gone. You MUST have an EZPASS toll payment system. A camera takes a picture of your plate. You get one free pass. After that they send you a bill. Small businesses are getting hammered by people who go smewhere else as they don't want to pay all thjat money and only cross the bridge once or twice.
    Yup; saw the same thing on my way home from Kalamazoo MI to NoVA - good thing i-Zoom took my Virginia EZPass.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

The same thing is happening in Texas. In our new hometown of Katy, part of Interstate 10 is now a toll road, the "Katy Tollway". This is an interstate highway that has already been paid for, but now that they have made 'improvements' and widened the lanes, they converted it into a toll road....in perpetuity.

And recently, in the Dallas area, all of the toll roads have converted to cashless payment...i.e.: they no longer accept cash in any form. In this way, travelers coming in from another area of the state or country are caught unawares. The tolling entity (owned by a Spanish company, btw) photographs their license plate and sends them a bill for the tolls they incur. If travelers have a tolltag, the rates are about half of the rate for those without a tolltag. So, they bilk the unaware travelers at nearly twice the rate for each toll. Talk about a scam!

Texas is the pilot state for this toll road raping of the masses, so brace yourselves. Coming soon to your own home state!

The plate recognition systems are already advanced and working the transponders aren't really needed at all. Somewhere on one of my attempts with a blog to write regularly I wrote of grim motoring future of the US... all old cars have been banned and crushed... the good roads are reserved for those with the right political connections... cars track and report everything... If there's an interest I can find it and put it on URant... I wrote it two different ways... one just as predictive of a dystopia the other about a law breaker who still had an ancient car hidden away.

Now that it is 2011... I am somewhat surprised that the Illinois toll road authority isn't using IPASS to issue speeding tickets yet. Their incompetence must have made syncing the clocks impossible or something. Or perhaps they still fear revolt.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    And recently, in the Dallas area, all of the toll roads have converted to cashless payment...i.e.: they no longer accept cash in any form. In this way, travelers coming in from another area of the state or country are caught unawares. The tolling entity (owned by a Spanish company, btw) photographs their license plate and sends them a bill for the tolls they incur. If travelers have a tolltag, the rates are about half of the rate for those without a tolltag. So, they bilk the unaware travelers at nearly twice the rate for each toll. Talk about a scam!

Texas is the pilot state for this toll road raping of the masses, so brace yourselves. Coming soon to your own home state!
    Illinois still allows paying cash... it just costs double. I think the toll road authority here was the first in the nation to do that. This is why I figured cashless only and then time-distance speeding tickets would follow once most people had IPASS.

While the toll road authority is one giant theft machine Texas has been sounding worse in recent years. In Illinois they actually want to raise tolls on existing toll roads to pay for NEW toll roads. Which is pretty absurd... the tolls are supposed to be to pay for the road you're currently using... not the road you're currently using and some other road many miles away.
    Last edited by BrentP; 06-23-2011 at 11:39 PM.