Thread: Drag Racing - Is it a Drag or a good Rush?

Vman$01

Drag Racing - Is it a Drag or a good Rush?

Folks,

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about drag racing. Sure I know who John Force is and his talented daughter Ashley. If there is substantial interest I can get up to speed real quick. My preference is at very least cars that run 50 laps or so. I don't really "get" Drag racing and it is really tough on a car. I love cars and I know you do too. Can we run 300 miles before we build a new one?

Quote Originally Posted by Vman$01 View Post
    Folks,

I don't know a whole hell of a lot about drag racing. Sure I know who John Force is and his talented daughter Ashley. If there is substantial interest I can get up to speed real quick. My preference is at very least cars that run 50 laps or so. I don't really "get" Drag racing and it is really tough on a car. I love cars and I know you do too. Can we run 300 miles before we build a new one?
    I've watched drag racing at Blackbushe. Sure the noise and the initial acceleration are astounding but there seems to be a lot more to it than just brute force. For example, I don't understand the starting procedure - how can someone with lightning reactions be penalised for jumping the start when his wheels didn't move before the green light for example. One of these days I might take my bike down to East Lindsey Aviation Center and have a go on one of their 'Run What You Brung' days just to see if I can feel the buzz.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vman$01

I admit it is dangerous and requires skill

Ken,

If I am not mistaken 1/4 is not even a kilometer. Bloody Hell man! Let's saddle up a Lotus and rage through Austria on narrow streets! I say it's a drag on my wallet.

V-Man

Quote Originally Posted by Vman$01 View Post
    Ken,

If I am not mistaken 1/4 is not even a kilometer. Bloody Hell man! Let's saddle up a Lotus and rage through Austria on narrow streets! I say it's a drag on my wallet.

V-Man

For young drivers at least, the ET class lets you race without getting a speeding ticket, or losing your license. Plus, you have a time slip to prove how fast you went. I raced back in the 70's and when you race, it's usually against the clock. Yes, get in the big money classes and you're trying to make a buck. The ET class you run against yourself.

You constantly tweak your car and driving skills. Change one thing at a time and see what works and what doesn't. We were running a 1966 Chevelle and a 1969 Baracuda in the mid 70's. We got the Plymouth tuned to the point we would sometimes crack the windshield. The third time we busted the glass, we added frame stiffeners.

We had a saying about speed, "It's not bragging if you can't back it up". Lots of guys would talk like their cars were fast but we had proof of how fast ours were.

Drag racing today has gotten too commercial. If they would add a plain fender class, I might watch it. As it is, like the rest of racing, I pretty much ignore it.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vman$01
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    For young drivers at least, the ET class lets you race without getting a speeding ticket, or losing your license. Plus, you have a time slip to prove how fast you went. I raced back in the 70's and when you race, it's usually against the clock. Yes, get in the big money classes and you're trying to make a buck. The ET class you run against yourself.

You constantly tweak your car and driving skills. Change one thing at a time and see what works and what doesn't. We were running a 1966 Chevelle and a 1969 Baracuda in the mid 70's. We got the Plymouth tuned to the point we would sometimes crack the windshield. The third time we busted the glass, we added frame stiffeners.

We had a saying about speed, "It's not bragging if you can't back it up". Lots of guys would talk like their cars were fast but we had proof of how fast ours were.

Drag racing today has gotten too commercial. If they would add a plain fender class, I might watch it. As it is, like the rest of racing, I pretty much ignore it.
    Excellent point,

I used drag race my Corvair up on a Levee. Very dangerous. When after 4 years of tweaking my Mustang we set off to strip to see what it would do.

So concerned about wear and tear I never did it again. But did roll through the backroads of South Carolina at 130 mph or more.

There is still time for me to study the sport and at least give the results.

That is a brilliant passage you wrote. Very real and very cool!

Thank you, V-Man

Vman$01

Talking My Man Grouch!

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post

The show "Pinks" on the Speed channel (Maybe it's SpeedVision), I'm not sure?? Has "garage specials" that amateurs bust knuckles on and race. Unfortunately for them they have to give their sled to some asshole who just schooled them?? Anyway, these cars are labors of love by the owners and few mechanics touch them! V-Man