Thread: Fed Up With Critical Mass

Fed Up With Critical Mass

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    That made my day!

Seriously:

I like bicycles; I ride them myself. But some cyclists are uber assholes. Yes, I know "the law" says bikes are permitted on the road. But it is super obnoxious to ride on a road where the traffic is moving at a pace well above what a bicycle can maintain and thus, the cyclists is creating a rolling roadblock and hazard for all concerned.

My Fuhrerprinzip solution: Bikes should not be allowed on any road with a speed above 30 MPH, but there should be dedicated bike lanes on all major thoroughfares, so cyclists can get where they want to go without creating a hazard/hassle for others.

Staff
    As a motorist first and a cyclist second, I have a different take. Because bicycles are so different from cars and trucks, bikes should be allowed to run stop signs and lights when the intersections are clear.

I have been fighting with the county commission to have shoulders built major and minor routes up for resurfacing. I almost got killed on a road that had no shoulder that i could ride on.

Design improvements (wider shoulders) for bikes can translate into higher operating speeds and road operating capacity for cars as well.

That said, I am fed up with some of those cycling assholes. In Florida, they represent less than 1 percent of the biking public. Their numbers are higher in groups like the Florida Bicycle Association, which ironically is the enemy of cycling by their insistence that cyclist have to obey excessively long red lights and misplaced stop signs along bike trails. This crap needs to stop. More later.
    Last edited by swamprat; 02-28-2011 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    As a motorist first and a cyclist second, I have a different take. Because bicycles are so different from cars and trucks, bikes should be allowed to run stop signs and lights when the intersections are clear.

I have been fighting with the county commission to have shoulders built major and minor routes up for resurfacing. I almost got killed on a road that had no shoulder that i could ride on.

Design improvements (wider shoulders) for bikes can translate into higher operating speeds and road operating capacity for cars as well.

That said, I am fed up with some of those cycling assholes. In Florida, they represent less than 1 percent of the biking public. Their numbers are higher in groups like the Florida Bicycle Association, which ironically is the enemy of cycling by their insistence that cyclist have to obey excessively long red lights and misplaced stop signs along bike trails. This crap needs to stop. More later.
    The worst ones are the ones who think they're Lance Armstrong; day-glo body suits; ridiculous aerodynamic helmets; $5,000 bikes. Look at me! Le Tour de France!

It's really fun to get ahead of one of these guys in an old diesel and then smog them mercilessly.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    The worst ones are the ones who think they're Lance Armstrong; day-glo body suits; ridiculous aerodynamic helmets; $5,000 bikes. Look at me! Le Tour de France!

It's really fun to get ahead of one of these guys in an old diesel and then smog them mercilessly.

I miss having a carbureted car with manual transmission. Wind it up in second gear, shut off the ignition and coast a few feet and then turn the ignition back on. KABOOM!!!!! Alas, I did that one time too many on one truck and the muffler blew apart. Sure was fun though.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Around here, it might actually be Lance Armstrong.

Chip H.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Around here, it might actually be Lance Armstrong.

Chip H.
    When I was in high school - back in the days when you could get away with this kind of thing - my friends and I would ride around in my '78 Camaro looking for likely prospects. But first, we made a stop at McDonalds and got three or four large strawberry shakes. We let them mellow for awhile. When we found a prospect, my friend Stu Monster would grab a shake, cock his arm and let fly. The results were spectacular. I almost pissed myself a few times.

If kids did something like this today, it'd probably result in a Tazering and much worse besides....

Staff

I can't stand that speedex crap. I do wear an aerodymamic helmet, but it only set me back $65.00.

I ride in jean shorts and a T.

My bike cost about 2k retail. I only paid 1k for it as it had been on the shelf for 2 years. Lucky I got it when I did. In the 2006-2010 a comporable bike woudl cost me about 4k.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Thanks for making my day! Let's face it, if you want the same right to the road as the automobile does, then you pay the same tax, carry the same insurance, and follow the same laws as we do. Until then, outta my way.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

I am a bicyclist, a vehicular bicyclist. I dislike critical mass probably more than most people. They would probably attack me because I wouldn't wait for their red light running and bike right through their 'mass'. Yes, I feel they would attack me because they are being arseholes first and bicycling advocates somewhere around tenth. They do more harm than good. If they really wanted to tick off drivers, really achieve "critical mass" they wouldn't run red signals and a whole host of their other behaviors. Their entire logic is to be in big enough numbers to define the "speed of traffic", but they simply don't stop there.

Assault on bicyclists is still apparently legal in the police state. Why? Because fundamentally cops are the same sort under developed people who think it is amusing to assault bicyclists with their vehicles, water bottles, beer, whatever. Cops are statistically more likely to brush pass me IME. Never mind that it's against the law in this state. It's the behavior of a bully, someone who decides that his manhood is tied up in what vehicle he uses. Few if any would have the balls to take a vehicle as small and fragile as a bicycle into traffic themselves. Besides, so long as a driver stops and says the magic words after killing/hitting/harming a bicyclist the cops are fine with it.

I have been assaulted a good number of times in a number of different ways. The most absurd was the time I out accelerated the dodge neon in the neighboring lane. Because I beat the dodge's driver by such a margin the driver behind me was able to move and pass me upon which the passenger threw a water bottle out the window hitting me with it. It's not about speed, (most Ford Taurus drivers would have been entirely happy behind the average dodge neon driver) it is because they can.

The idea that bicyclists would be banned from the road, regardless of speed limit is absurd. If a driver cannot pass a bicyclist simply and easily with a good 3ft+ space he should not be driving. It is as simple as that. It's usually the cloverish drivers who have great difficulty and thus great hatred of vehicular bicyclists. It is their own lack of ability to slightly adjust their speed and time a gap or perhaps that driving requires some slight effort on their part that aggravates them. I have *NEVER* had a problem passing a vehicular bicyclist like myself.

The way I found pisses off drivers the most is following the vehicle code to the letter. They do not like coming to complete stops at stop signs. Waiting their turn at a queue at a stop light. They do not like stopping when I am stopped signaling a left turn on a two lane road waiting for a gap in traffic. None of this is different or slower than when I am driving, but done on a bicycle brings out rage in some drivers. But what has gotten the most anger out of drivers? I am at a red light behind some clover. The light turns green... the clover doesn't accelerate. The entire left lane empties out because everyone driving but the clover in front of me has cleared the intersection. So I swing out into the left lane and pass the clover. This will almost always send the clover into a rage.

Why is this difficult?
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZX_IduyYcag
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-KSVqdaUp4
    Last edited by zeo; 05-23-2011 at 11:19 PM.

I'm guilty of that.....

There is an annual triathlon near my house, where hundreds of cyclists piss-poke along the area's main road at far less than the speed limit. They ride three and four abreast for miles on end, slowing to 10 mph on the up hills. Passing is no easy task in a 3500lb car with only 65 hp, but when I do get past a group of these bastards I stay just ahead of the big group while running on veg oil (which doesn't smell like french fries, it really stinks)...

The best part about the event is that the cops urge motorists to run the stop signs....all two of them...

The smoke on veg oil is a gray fog something like this....