Thread: The End of the Evo?

The End of the Evo?

There is a great deal of confusion going around at the moment concerning the future of the Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution. You see, a few days ago the head of global product development for Mitsubishi indicated that the Evo X would be the last Evo that Mitsubishi builds – part of their strategy to move towards Electric Vehicles.

Obviously, this caused quite a sensation since the Mitsubishi Evo is one of the most popular cars of its kind. Enthusiasts everywhere were confused and worried. Mitsubishi seems to have gotten word of this, and has since come out to say the following:
    Production of the current Lancer Evolution continues as planned.
    As for its successor, regulations and market feedback will dictate its engineering package & architecture.
    MMC has kept the Lancer Evolution sedan evolving as the brand’s highest performing model in the global market. However, as the market’s needs and demands change, MMC is considering not advancing the Lancer Evolution concept in the same way as before, but to find a different direction for the Lancer Evolution model to evolve. The new direction, the technologies involved, and corresponding products will be disclosed in due course.
    Noone really seems sure of what to make of this. While it is obvious that Mitsubishi is trying to allay the fears of its fanbase, the statement provided doesnt *actually* say anything definitive. It seems that if they *do* keep the Evo around, they are talking about reintroducing it as a hybrid, or an EV. That is a fairly bold challenge, since so far the Tesla Roadster has really been the only sporty EV available. Would an all-electric or a hybrid Evo be able to maintain the legacy of its forbears? For now, it seems, we are simply going to have to wait and see what happens – though I expect Subaru might be able to expect a sales increase for the STi.
    '06 Lotus Elise, '07 Saturn Sky Redline

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    My take:

Mitsubishi sees the writing on the wall - a crashing economy, upticking gas prices (we'll be at $4 per within a week, probably) and rising CAFE regs. The future of any performance-type car is dim in this prospective environment.

Camaro sales are crashing. I haven't looked at Mustang stats lately.

I think the car industry is about to get hammered. $4 gas almost killed it back in '08 and that was before the rest of the economy tanked. Now - except shyster money peddler types - the economy is on life support. Real unemployment is 16-plus percent. Gas prices could hit $5 by summer.

It is not going to be pleasant.

lol still the same old pessimist I see

Quote Originally Posted by damen View Post
    lol still the same old pessimist I see
    Well, I'd like to be optimistic. But the things I mentioned aren't just pulled out of my bitter old ass!

It sucks, but it's reality.

For mass-market performance cars like the EVO and Camaro to survive, there has to be a reasonably secure/affluent working and middle class; gas has to be not just affordable but predictably affordable, too.

I think Mitsu agrees with me.

Also note how Ford has moved away from V-8s altogether.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Also note how Ford has moved away from V-8s altogether.
    was the mustang discontinued and noone told me? *grins*
    and all the trucks?

Quote Originally Posted by damen View Post
    was the mustang discontinued and noone told me? *grins*
    and all the trucks?
    Give 'em time.

Their future engine program is focused on the EcoBoost family of V-6s, not V-8s.

They've dropped the Crown Vic and Town Car; the Explorer is now a car-based crossover with a four-cylinder.

Management has said openly that V-8s are going to be a very small segment of the market in the future.

Watch and see what this summer and $5 gas does to the V-8s SUVs that remain....