Thread: How many pairs of eyes have you got?

How many pairs of eyes have you got?

This could probably have gone, quite legitimately on several of our boards. Still as bikers already have to look in five directions at once to be safe, I thought I would put this astounding bit of 'Road Planning' news on our biking board.

Portsmouth City Council have just replaced a perfectly satisfactory roundabout, which has served motorists and bikers well for years, with a new system of 71 (Seventy one - that was not a typo) sets of traffic lights. So far no-one from the Council has been availabe for comment as far as I am aware. The mind just boggles at the colossal waste of money.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post

Portsmouth City Council have just replaced a perfectly satisfactory roundabout, which has served motorists and bikers well for years, with a new system of 71 (Seventy one - that was not a typo) sets of traffic lights. So far no-one from the Council has been availabe for comment as far as I am aware. The mind just boggles at the colossal waste of money.

Ken.
    Apparently, Ken, it wasn't as satisfactory as some might have believed - if this is the roundabout to which you are referring. This is from an article I was able to scrounge up on the web:

According to Portsmouth City Council there are 71 sets of lights, not 72, on the site of the old Johnson & Johnson roundabout, the crossroads which links the A27 to the M275 and M27.
    They were put there in 2004, at a cost of 3.69m, because that roundabout repeatedly finished in the top five of the worst accident blackspots in Hampshire.

Entire article (with somewhat not so helpful pic): http://www.policespecials.com/forum/...owtopic=116815

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Apparently, Ken, it wasn't as satisfactory as some might have believed - if this is the roundabout to which you are referring. This is from an article I was able to scrounge up on the web:

According to Portsmouth City Council there are 71 sets of lights, not 72, on the site of the old Johnson & Johnson roundabout, the crossroads which links the A27 to the M275 and M27.
    They were put there in 2004, at a cost of 3.69m, because that roundabout repeatedly finished in the top five of the worst accident blackspots in Hampshire.

Entire article (with somewhat not so helpful pic): http://www.policespecials.com/forum/...owtopic=116815
    Ah, you did better than I at finding more data, Rich. That sort of complex is probably not too bad if you live in the area and use it every day. For a visitor or tourist it must be mind numbing.

I noted that a resident in the area was not aware of any accidents there when there was just the roundabout. 'Accident Hotspot' is a very emotive term. In an town where there has only ever been one accident it is quite true to say, of the location of that accident, 'This is the worst place for accidents in the whole of the town/city' but the picture painted is quite misleading.

If properly used roundabouts are very safe. I have noticed, however, in my trips back down South that roundabouts that were previously free flowing and unrestricted now seem to have traffic lights installed at each entry point with resultant long queues of impatient traffic. When I first moved up to Lincolnshire three cars in view at the same time was almost classified as total gridlock, motoring nirvana.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

We still have a few "traffic circles" (as they are called in New Jersey) still in existence; although, most of the ones that populated the state have been replaced (as money was available) with intersections controlled by lights. I believe the volume of traffic in this state forced the DOT to do something to 1) alleviate traffic snarls, and 2) make the roads/circles much safer.

Provided drivers pay attention as they approach and enter the roundabout, and other drivers are willing to yield (when appropriate), roundabouts can be a wonderful thing - especially on a bike!

A few years ago the local Public Television station (in Philadelphia) broadcast a show entitled "Things That Aren't There Anymore". As the title implies, it was about what used to be commonplace things in, and around, the Philadelphia - Atlantic City area, that have been torn down or destroyed over time. Things like: Drive-In Movie Theaters, certain oddball roadside attractions, large movie/burlesque theaters, etc. If they ever update the show, I believe traffic circles will be one more thing to add to the list! (For some of the still existing oddball stuff checkout http://www.weirdnj.com/ )

Hey Ken, Have you heard about this?

800,000 speed camera on Cat and Fiddle fails to catch a single biker

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...a_single_biker

Quote Originally Posted by Piney View Post
    Hey Ken, Have you heard about this?

800,000 speed camera on Cat and Fiddle fails to catch a single biker

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereven...a_single_biker
    Oh yes, Rich. Most bikers know about the little detour that completely foxes the cameras. It just shows the mentality of the people siting the cameras who didn't appreciate the value of that little side loop. Now the 'Safety' crowd are claiming that, because the cameras didn't catch any bikers speeding, they have been a complete success.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.