Thread: Kyleigh's Law

Kyleigh's Law

Kyleigh's Law is named after a teen that was killed in New Jersey because another teen was driving and wrecked the car.

The law requires drivers under 21 with a probationary license to place a sticker on the license plate to tell other drivers and the police that they're a student driver.

There's no incentive for a young driver to comply, other than the usual threat of getting a ticket. It singles them out for extra attention from the police, who (this being New Jersey) aren't likely to let them off with a warning.

Chip H.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Kyleigh's Law is named after a teen that was killed in New Jersey because another teen was driving and wrecked the car.

The law requires drivers under 21 with a probationary license to place a sticker on the license plate to tell other drivers and the police that they're a student driver.

There's no incentive for a young driver to comply, other than the usual threat of getting a ticket. It singles them out for extra attention from the police, who (this being New Jersey) aren't likely to let them off with a warning.

Chip H.
    I just knew, before even opening this thread, that it was going to be another Breeder Debacle. The Cr8tive spelling of the dead crotchfruit's name told me all I needed to know...

These PR-generated names for laws, and for wars, are getting out of hand. It's all about tugging on the heart strings.

Indiana used to have a seat belt exemption for trucks. If you drove a pickup you didn't HAVE to wear a seat belt. I always did as I felt it prudent. All the soccer moms started putting truck plates on their mega-SUVs. This was they didn't have to wear seat blets either.

A few years ago, several kids were hill jumping on a really treacherous road just east of here. They were also huffing. I never understood the thrill of it as if my wheels leave the ground, I'm looking for a hard landing. They were doing about 70-90 mph and the driver didn't align the front wheels right and the SUV rolled. One teenaged girl was ejected and crushed when it rolled over her.

Her friends, who were in the car with her, started a campaign to require seat belt use in everything. Trucks included. It really irked me that they were deliberately doing a stupid act and breaking all sorts of laws and when Darwin stepped in with a little chlorine for the gene pool, they decided to control everybody.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.