Thread: Now it's the water pump

Now it's the water pump

Cr*p. When I drove back from the shop regarding the headers, my son stopped me before I pulled into the garage and was pointing to the floor at a pink puddle. He crawled under the car with the shop light and determined it was the water pump.

Hubby says I need to make sure that all parts are OEM parts and not some crummy, POS made in the netherworld that will break and mess up something else on the car.

Rock Auto has an AC Delco, cast iron wp that replaces the original wp. Or, there is Bosch...which does not say what material their pump is made out of, but claims to be "manufactured to original specs".

hmmm....

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Cr*p. When I drove back from the shop regarding the headers, my son stopped me before I pulled into the garage and was pointing to the floor at a pink puddle. He crawled under the car with the shop light and determined it was the water pump.

Hubby says I need to make sure that all parts are OEM parts and not some crummy, POS made in the netherworld that will break and mess up something else on the car.

Rock Auto has an AC Delco, cast iron wp that replaces the original wp. Or, there is Bosch...which does not say what material their pump is made out of, but claims to be "manufactured to original specs".

hmmm....
    Ach!

Well, it's a good time to deal with this - before you start making more power (and heat)...

I recommend a Flow Kooler; see: http://flowkoolerwaterpumps.com/

I have one installed in my Trans Am. It will exceed the original equipment unit in every way; direct bolt-in/looks factory.

hmmm....

Pink? Your car came with the regular green coolant. Most anitfreeze today says it will mix with all colors though. Is the AC Delco rebuilt or new? I prefer to put new pumps on as rebuilt units can sometimes get a bad batch of rebuild parts. You might want to paint the new pump to match your engine block. You are sure it's the pump and not a hose (easy fix) or expansion plug (not an easy fix) aren't you?

One caveat, MAKE SURE whether you have the long or short shaft pump. They WILL NOT interchange. None of your belts will line up if you get the wrong one. Your best bet is take the old pump and match it up to the new one at the store. If you have a short shaft and they bring out a long shaft, you'll notice when they're side by side.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Pink? Your car came with the regular green coolant. Most anitfreeze today says it will mix with all colors though. Is the AC Delco rebuilt or new? I prefer to put new pumps on as rebuilt units can sometimes get a bad batch of rebuild parts. You might want to paint the new pump to match your engine block. You are sure it's the pump and not a hose (easy fix) or expansion plug (not an easy fix) aren't you?

One caveat, MAKE SURE whether you have the long or short shaft pump. They WILL NOT interchange. None of your belts will line up if you get the wrong one. Your best bet is take the old pump and match it up to the new one at the store. If you have a short shaft and they bring out a long shaft, you'll notice when they're side by side.
    Yes, we are pretty sure it's the water pump. Hubby changed all the fluids for me the first week I had it.

The AC Delco is new, not remanufactured.

Paint it? I guess if I can find a paint that matches "old engine rust", I could paint it. Nah - I think not.

Aahhh - I did not know about the shaft length difference. Thank you!
    <heading out to the garage...>

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Yes, we are pretty sure it's the water pump. Hubby changed all the fluids for me the first week I had it.

The AC Delco is new, not remanufactured.

Paint it? I guess if I can find a paint that matches "old engine rust", I could paint it. Nah - I think not.

Aahhh - I did not know about the shaft length difference. Thank you!
    <heading out to the garage...>
    If I am remembering right, Chevy stopped painting its engines anything other than black years before your Elky was built. Back in the days when they painted them bright orange, an unpainted replacement water pump would have looked ugly!