Thread: New Zealand (and Japan) vs. Haiti...

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

New Zealand (and Japan) vs. Haiti...

Interesting:

Post Interesting indeed.

Compare New Zealand to Haiti.

NZ GDP: ~$119 Billion; per capita GDP ~$28,000
    HA GDP: ~$11 Billion; per capita GDP ~$1,200

NZ has more resources and a more stable government than Haiti.
    NZ is better able to handle the damage from an earthquake than Haiti.
    (more resources and better organized)

I do not think this is the only reason why NZ handled their earthquake better than Haiti, but I do think it is a factor.

@7:15
    I think the Pastor is right that one can not blame others for our own failings. We need to take responsibility for our own actions and accept the consequences of our (actions/ lack of actions).

We need to do what we can to improve ourselves and if possible the world around us. We should try not to make things worse.

While being poor and uneducated makes it more difficult to improve ones situation in life, I do not think it is impossible to improve your situation. I do not think it gives you an excuse to commit violence and/or crime against others. If you want something then do what is necessary to earn it.

I never understood not taking care of where you live. Maybe your neighbors have a dirty yard and have trash all over the place. You can not control you neighbors, but you do have control over how your home and yard looks.

(Pastor sounds a little like Uncle Ruckus from the boondocks.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Poverty has long been the excuse. But the question is, why are certain areas - the world over - always poor? Always more violent and chaotic?

And who do areas that were formerly not poor, violent and chaotic always become so when a certain demographic shift takes place?
    Some areas have not been always poor. Certain areas of South America and Africa were well off at one time. Argentina pre-WWII and the Mali Empire during the 13th and 14th centuries to name two.

While I think poverty is a factor, I do not think it is enough to justify (in this case) what has happened in Haiti.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    But black Africa has always been benighted. Not just poor; backward and savage. Just as Detroit and DC are becoming. As Haiti is - and always will be.

. . .

"In contrast to New Orleans, there was only minimal looting after the horrendous 1995 earthquake in Kobe, Japan-because, when you get down to it, Japanese aren't blacks. For example, the per capita imprisonment rate for Asian-Americans is about 1/30th that of African-Americans.
    I can not make any rational argument against what you are stating.

Only some questions: (I do not know if there are any answers for these questions.)

What was the violence level among blacks in Africa? Did it change after interaction with other ethnic/racial groups? (Did violence increase/decrease?)

Was the violence level similar to other ethnic cultures (White/Asian/Native American/Other) for similar time frames?

Is there any reason that blacks make a larger percentage of the prison population in the US than they make as a percentage of the US population?

(I can only think of 2 reasons: <1>They commit more crime. <2>They tend to be poorer and less able to afford a defense to keep them out of the legal system. {I am thinking of OJ})

Are the prison demographics similar in other countries (UK, Germany, Japan, Chile, etc.) around the world? (Do black constitute a larger percentage of the prison population, than would be suggested by their percentage of the countries population.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

God help us - I can see America's urban areas degenerating into situations just like Haiti when the economy finally crashes.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I don't have all the answers, but here are a few:

Africa is one of the most violent places on Earth; for example, the rape rate in South Africa (post Apartheid) is off the charts, literally. Ditto home invasions, violent assault, etc. Then there's Somalia, Liberia, Nigeria... and of course, anywhere else that is majority black, such as DC, Detroit, etc. You see the point.

Blacks have, on average, lower IQs than any other racial group besides Australian aborigines. There is, according to what I have read, a correlation between lower intelligence and violent acting out.

As a people, blacks appear to have a greater tendency to violent lashing out (See here: http://takimag.com/article/the_thug_gene) as well as poor impulse control, difficulty understanding cause and effect, etc. This manifests in numerous ways and cannot be attributed entirely (or even mostly) to oppression, for the reasons previously stated. Most notably, that blacks were not oppressed by anyone (other than each other) until appx. the 1600s, when the slave trade began in earnest. Yet before a single white European had enslaved a single African black, blacks lived in a state of Neolithic savagery. Literally. Not even the wheel. No permanent buildings or written language; no technology. Nothing. Mud huts and a hunter-gatherer type of existence. Unlike other races, blacks had not progressed beyond the Stone Age, despite living in a temperate climate in a continent with abundant natural resources.

What accounts for this other than that blacks, as a group, are possessed of significantly lower intelligence, initiative and creativity than the other major races - all of which erected great civilizations, a body of art/literature, technology, etc - thousands of years ago. The fertile crescent civilizations of 5,000 years ago were more advanced than the black African race was as recently as 100 years ago. This is a harsh thing to say - but is it untrue?

There is an interesting theory that says Whites and Asians developed higher cognitive powers - as well as a sense of empathy and cooperative spirit - as a result of having to deal with the much more difficult (cold/harsh) climates that are found in Europe and Asia. This makes sense to me.

If you're really interested in this subject, I recommend Erectus Walks Amongst Us. "Erectus" referring to Homo Erectus and primitive traits that continue to manifest among all humans, but most often and to the greatest degree among blacks.

It's a good read.