Thread: Bike films Clover

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Bike films Clover

..and goes down:

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    ..and goes down:

That fucking car driver needs to be shot. What a complete moron. Oblivious asshole. I'd have drawn on that idiot if I could have.

Angry

..and goes down:
    That driver (car) was a jerk. He could have killed the motorcyclist.

Where is the LEO when needed.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    That fucking car driver needs to be shot. What a complete moron. Oblivious asshole. I'd have drawn on that idiot if I could have.
    It looked to me like the car may have deliberately tried to cut the bike off. I have had that happen to me.

It looked to me like the car may have deliberately tried to cut the bike off. I have had that happen to me.
    It certainly looked deliberate and, like Eric, I've had it done to me.

Purely as an aside, for the speed he was travelling at (65 - 70 mph) the biker was too close to the vehicle in front, was limiting his view of the road ahead and was leaving insufficient room to build up a good overtaking speed before making the overtake move. At the same time there is no excuse for the cage driver as the biker must have virtually obscured his rear view and the usual 'SMIDSY' excuse could not have applied.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    It certainly looked deliberate and, like Eric, I've had it done to me.

Purely as an aside, for the speed he was travelling at (65 - 70 mph) the biker was too close to the vehicle in front, was limiting his view of the road ahead and was leaving insufficient room to build up a good overtaking speed before making the overtake move. At the same time there is no excuse for the cage driver as the biker must have virtually obscured his rear view and the usual 'SMIDSY' excuse could not have applied.

Ken.
    Agree on both counts.

I don't see how the driver could not have been aware of the bike. The noise of the sport bike alone would have announced its presence.

I think it was an asshole who was going to "teach the biker a lesson." I think the driver should have been charged with attempted vehicular homicide.

I also think the bike was foolish to follow as closely as he was at that speed.

Like you, my policy in such cases is to give the cager plenty of room and use the bike's tremendous advantage in speed when the right moment arrives to execute a fast past.

Staff
    If that cage driver was aware of that, he should have charged with attempted homocide. Unfortunately, it is not important enough for cops to pursue. They have more important things to do like pulling over speeeeeeeeeeeders.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    If that cage driver was aware of that, he should have charged with attempted homocide. Unfortunately, it is not important enough for cops to pursue. They have more important things to do like pulling over speeeeeeeeeeeders.
    The more I look at that video, the more convinced I am it was deliberate. The car driver was annoyed at the bike; he was going to keep him from passing. This has happened to me more than a couple of times. It can get you killed - and of course, there's never a cop around and if you chase the asshole down and smash his face in for trying to kill you, the cops will arrest you, not him.

Staff
    The more I look at that video, the more convinced I am it was deliberate. The car driver was annoyed at the bike; he was going to keep him from passing. This has happened to me more than a couple of times. It can get you killed - and of course, there's never a cop around and if you chase the asshole down and smash his face in for trying to kill you, the cops will arrest you, not him.
    I don't even ride a motorcycle. Personally I don't like them except for their gas saving properties. On the other hand, I do ride a bicycle and encounter the same level of hostility from Clovers. I get people screaming out their windows telling me to get off the road and telling me to ride on the "sidewalk." Others blow their horns as if to remind me that they are around. If you have ridden on a bike, you know that there are cars around for crying out loud.

Sometimes I wish I could reach in their car and yank out their steering wheels. Or reach under it remove their horns and jam it down their throat.

One time, I was approaching an intersection where there was no traffic approaching and I ran a red light. The pickup alongside me started cussing and screaming like I had just robbed his house or screwed his daughter. I just rode on, not paying attention to him.

In Texas, from what I have heard that under certain circumstances, motorcyclists can run a red and not get a ticket. I don't know if that applies to bicycles. It should. Bikes are not the same as cars. they are human powered with very different dynamics. The same laws should not apply.

Of course you could never convince some over fed leeeeeeeegislaaaaaaator of the real facts. Call your reeeeeeepreeeeeeeseeeeeeetaaatiiiiive? Yeah, right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mithrandir View Post
    That driver (car) was a jerk. He could have killed the motorcyclist.

Where is the LEO when needed.

All the rider has to do is go to the police with the video. It has a description (red car) with identification (license plate) and video proof of the actions the driver took to assault the rider. The rider would need to swear out a complaint but he would also get to explain the speed on the video if it was over the limit.

Now, that's here in Indiana. The State Police especially have been cracking down on aggressive driving. Even more so with the recent bus crash when a semi swerved and ran a tour bus into the guard rail killing many of the passengers.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

..and goes down:

I showed this to a friend who is still a police officer. Like I've said before, in Indiana, if you take yourself out of the gene pool, tough. Hurt somebody else and you are the nail and Indiana is the hammer.

What the cop noted was, if the rider was passing two vehicles, then he was illegally passing and the red car was starting to pass itself. However, the car ahead of the red car was far enough ahead that probably, that was not the case.

Had he seen it happen or watched the video when someone was making the complaint, the driver of the red car would be charged with reckless driving, wanton endangerment, assault with a motor vehicle and if they left, leaving the scene of an accident with injury. Those are just for starters. Any equipment infractions or problems with the license would compound the charges.

For the rider, he was tailgating and depending on the speed limit, possibly speeding. We both assumed the speedometer was reading kilometers per hour so 60 would be about 31 mph.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post

What the cop noted was, if the rider was passing two vehicles, then he was illegally passing and the red car was starting to pass itself. However, the car ahead of the red car was far enough ahead that probably, that was not the case.

For the rider, he was tailgating and depending on the speed limit, possibly speeding. We both assumed the speedometer was reading kilometers per hour so 60 would be about 31 mph.
    Are you saying that in Indiana one may only overtake one vehicle at a time, Grouch? That is the first time I have ever heard of that law.

60 kph = 37.3 mph. At one point the rider was hitting 112 kph or 69.6 mph. Don't let any of the anti-biking groups see that video or they will be after blood!

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Are you saying that in Indiana one may only overtake one vehicle at a time, Grouch? That is the first time I have ever heard of that law.

60 kph = 37.3 mph. At one point the rider was hitting 112 kph or 69.6 mph. Don't let any of the anti-biking groups see that video or they will be after blood!

Ken.

That's been the law as long as I can remember. On a 4 lane where you have two lanes, you can pass as many as you want. On a 2 lane road though, one car and that's it. You also can't pass on a double yellow line or a solid yellow on your side of a broken yellow line.

It's also the law in Kentucky too. Now, out west in California, they have different laws and since a lot of car shows come out of there, it gives a skewed impression of traffic laws.

I'm assuming the wreck occured on the European continent since they were driving on the right side of the road. The red car had a euro style plate not used in the U.S.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    That's been the law as long as I can remember. On a 4 lane where you have two lanes, you can pass as many as you want. On a 2 lane road though, one car and that's it. You also can't pass on a double yellow line or a solid yellow on your side of a broken yellow line.

It's also the law in Kentucky too. Now, out west in California, they have different laws and since a lot of car shows come out of there, it gives a skewed impression of traffic laws.

I'm assuming the wreck occured on the European continent since they were driving on the right side of the road. The red car had a euro style plate not used in the U.S.
    I'm glad we don't have that law here, with our proliferation of two lane carriageways it would take a month of Sundays to get anywhere.

I don't think that incident was in Europe, Grouch. There were double yellows and yellow solid/broken lane markers. European road markings, as far as I am aware, are all in white, as are our UK markings. My guess is that the video was made in the US. Possibly the red car was a 'foreigner'. If, for example, the driver of the red car was French, if the rider on the Suzuki was not indicating left the car driver would not have been expecting him to overtake. Similarly, if the red car had been in the left hand lane, the driver would have been unlikely to move over to the right unless the rider was signalling left. When driving in France I found that most drivers responded very quickly to 'I want to overtake' signalling.

Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-15-2011 at 06:08 AM.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.