Results 1 to 15 of 15

Thread: An ancient beast

  1. #1
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408

    An ancient beast

    Clyde The Cat at age 16:








  2. #2
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Clyde still looks great - I hope he has many years ahead of him!

    Our oldest, Wheatboy (Siam in the pic below) is probably about 18 (not entirely sure because the shelter where my wife got him 18 years ago didn't know) and he's still doing fine. Being inside helps.

    I've read that outside cats have much shorter lives.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  3. #3
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    I've read that outside cats have much shorter lives.
    Well my buddy has already beat the odds, so going outside doesn't seem to have done him any long-term harm.

  4. #4
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Well my buddy has already beat the odds, so going outside doesn't seem to have done him any long-term harm.
    He gets to come inside at night/when it's cold out, though?

  5. #5
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    He gets to come inside at night/when it's cold out, though?
    Well yeah, he pretty much comes and goes as he wishes. He doesn't spend as much time outside as he did when he was younger. He likes to crawl under the sheet when I'm trying to fall asleep.

  6. #6
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by misterdecibel View Post
    Well yeah, he pretty much comes and goes as he wishes. He doesn't spend as much time outside as he did when he was younger. He likes to crawl under the sheet when I'm trying to fall asleep.
    I know the feeling well. I just love it when I finally find a comfortable position (Not easy with Polymyalgia) and drift off into a nice peaceful sleep - then - BAM! nineteen pounds of Paddy The Cat lands on the bed or the pillow, purring loudly, padding the duvet with paws the size of saucers and saying 'Move over Dad and give me a cuddle!' B%^^%&*s !!!

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  7. #7
    Ridin Dirty dom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Location
    Front Royal, VA
    Posts
    1,606
    Cat are amazing! I used to hate them, but since we got Spooky that all changed.

    "Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

  8. #8
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Cat are amazing! I used to hate them, but since we got Spooky that all changed.
    Told ya!

    I used to feel the same way; didn't hate cats, just wasn't especially interested and never had one or knew one more than at a distance. Then I met my wife, who had two at the time. Found out how interesting, intelligent - and distinctly different cats are. Now we have a whole crew (including one of the "originals," our even-more-ancient-than-Mr.-Decibel's ancient cat) and it's definitely a plus having them around, even though they can be obnoxious when they want to be, just like people!

  9. #9
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    I know the feeling well. I just love it when I finally find a comfortable position (Not easy with Polymyalgia) and drift off into a nice peaceful sleep - then - BAM! nineteen pounds of Paddy The Cat lands on the bed or the pillow, purring loudly, padding the duvet with paws the size of saucers and saying 'Move over Dad and give me a cuddle!' B%^^%&*s !!!
    At least Clyde's only 11 or 12 pounds.

  10. #10
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    I am not going there.

    Yes, I am. Seriously, I loathe cats. I am the proverbial "dog person." My sister has cats. I hate them, and they know it. They can sense that I do not want them rubbing on me or jumping in my lap...and they do it just to spite me.

    Give me a good labrador any day~

    I love dogs.

  11. #11
    Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    The Land of The Edentulites
    Posts
    22,719
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    I am not going there.

    Yes, I am. Seriously, I loathe cats. I am the proverbial "dog person." My sister has cats. I hate them, and they know it. They can sense that I do not want them rubbing on me or jumping in my lap...and they do it just to spite me.

    Give me a good labrador any day~

    I love dogs.
    I have a black lab and have always had/love dogs. But now I am a Cat Dude, too.

    I think the reason some people don't like cats is not dissimilar to the reason some people dislike dogs; i.e., it depends on the dogs/cats you've known.

    There's a world o' difference between, say, an aggressive breed dog that has been neglected, etc. and a much-loved Lab. Cats, too, are individuals. Some are naturally more affectionate/social than others and if all you've ever met have been the aloof/standoffish models, well, then that's why you probably don't like cats!

    We have (among our crew) two black shorthairs - brothers - who are so Lab-like you'd almost swear they had some lab DNA. Both like water. One "barks," no kidding! They are both super friendly, laid-back and personable. If you knew these two, I would bet your feelings toward F. Domesticus would begin to change!
    Attached Images Attached Images

  12. #12
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    I will not say that it is impossible for me to change my mind about cats. One of my sister's previous cats (he died a few years ago), I did kind of like because he acted like a dog. I truly think that he though he was a dog. He was goofy and playful and not finicky or persnickety. She has owned 7 cats, and that is the only one that I would even consider as friendly.

  13. #13
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,413
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    I am not going there.

    Yes, I am. Seriously, I loathe cats. I am the proverbial "dog person." My sister has cats. I hate them, and they know it. They can sense that I do not want them rubbing on me or jumping in my lap...and they do it just to spite me.

    Give me a good labrador any day~

    I love dogs.
    If, because you dislike cats, you ignore them then that is why they will come to you. Cats (other than with siblings or together since babyhood) respect each others space, don't get too close, don't stare at each other and generally seem aloof. If you perform all these functions - I.E. are aloof in human terms - then in cat language you are saying 'Lets be friends.'

    Ken.
    Last edited by Ken; 03-27-2011 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Clarification.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  14. #14
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    We have (among our crew) two black shorthairs - brothers - who are so Lab-like you'd almost swear they had some lab DNA. Both like water. One "barks," no kidding! They are both super friendly, laid-back and personable. If you knew these two, I would bet your feelings toward F. Domesticus would begin to change!
    Handsome pair too.

  15. #15
    Senior Member misterdecibel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Little Rock, Arkansas
    Posts
    3,408
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

    I think the reason some people don't like cats is not dissimilar to the reason some people dislike dogs; i.e., it depends on the dogs/cats you've known.
    Seems like some cat haters don't appreciate their independence, they expect a pet to be a little slave that responds to commands.

Similar Threads

  1. New beast
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 11-01-2008, 06:12 PM
  2. Look at this fine beast!
    By Eric in forum Classic Car Corner
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-12-2008, 05:14 PM
  3. Replies: 8
    Last Post: 07-09-2007, 01:27 AM
  4. Dick - neither man nor beast....
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-29-2007, 06:33 AM
  5. Ancient Ye Olde English Document Found
    By robmcg in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 04-13-2007, 06:31 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •