Thread: Feast your eyes....

Feast your eyes....

For those who are fans of muscle cars that have been completely (I mean complete...from the frame up) redone, here is my husband's '71 Chevelle and it's two-year progression from a dust-gatherer to a super car.

The link is to the photo gallery of the shop that did the work. Click on the '71 Chevelle and see the progress in various stages.

http://mikesmobileauto.com/PHOTO%20GALLERY2.htm

Back in the early 80's, I ran a salvage yard and got in a 1970 Chevelle. It needed a lot of attention but was otherwise a solid car. I drove it for a while and then got a nicer car so I put the Malibu up for sale. A kid bought it and I figured it would be back in a month or two after he wrapped it around a tree or something. When he and his father picked it up, they didn't get all the parts I had for it. Mainly a straight front bumper. The next evening, I ran it up to them and dad was surprised because he figured if you didn't get it when you got the car, you didn't get the parts.

He took me back to the garage where his son and friends were working on it. It still had the half moon glare shields on the headlights otherwise the car was completely stripped of paint, the rotted vinyl top was pulled, they were welding metal in the rusted area and the engine was sitting on an engine stand. I saw the car a year later at the "World of Wheels" show. I don't think it won but it showed well.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    For those who are fans of muscle cars that have been completely (I mean complete...from the frame up) redone, here is my husband's '71 Chevelle and it's two-year progression from a dust-gatherer to a super car.

The link is to the photo gallery of the shop that did the work. Click on the '71 Chevelle and see the progress in various stages.

http://mikesmobileauto.com/PHOTO%20GALLERY2.htm
    That didn't come cheap!

I like that you guys kept the body stock; Chevy did it right the first time - no need to improve those classic lines.

The rat looks serious. What's in that thang?

Was this originally a big block car?

I couldn't get the finished picture to come up, but did look through the resto pic's, and figured the level of work i saw means the car has to be extra sharp, and while I think the paint is the "Sandlewood" (code 61), it could also be the "Placer Gold" (code 53), which is very close if not the same as the 1970 "Champagne Gold" (code 55), which is what mine is. I wish I could have seen the finished photo, it might have been better lighted in that respect.

I admire the effort and costs associated with that type of resto, but I couldn't qualifie that for me, as I have to drive them on the street and with that, I couldn't do that. So i drive em and refresh or fix any deteriation as needed. But I do keep the mileage low, no everday use, and I just turned it over to 43,500 miles this weekend with the 45 mile run and back to the car show last weekend, and brother, did it rain on the way home, the wipers do work though.

Here's a pic of mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Nice car! That's pretty much what hubby's will look like. The paint guy was not happy with the stripes 'cuz he couldn't get them to line up correctly. So....the mechanic is replacing the hood hinges. Then, back to the paint guy.

Quote Originally Posted by quickcar View Post
    I couldn't get the finished picture to come up, but did look through the resto pic's, and figured the level of work i saw means the car has to be extra sharp, and while I think the paint is the "Sandlewood" (code 61), it could also be the "Placer Gold" (code 53), which is very close if not the same as the 1970 "Champagne Gold" (code 55), which is what mine is. I wish I could have seen the finished photo, it might have been better lighted in that respect.

I admire the effort and costs associated with that type of resto, but I couldn't qualifie that for me, as I have to drive them on the street and with that, I couldn't do that. So i drive em and refresh or fix any deteriation as needed. But I do keep the mileage low, no everday use, and I just turned it over to 43,500 miles this weekend with the 45 mile run and back to the car show last weekend, and brother, did it rain on the way home, the wipers do work though.

Here's a pic of mine.

Great car!

And: Engines from that era just looked so much better than today. Hell, you can't even see the engine in a new car anymore. Not before you remove the plastic covers. And once you do, it's ugly. A mass of wires; plastic and unfinished metal.

Here's a shot of my Trans-Am's engine room:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Nice car! That's pretty much what hubby's will look like. The paint guy was not happy with the stripes 'cuz he couldn't get them to line up correctly. So....the mechanic is replacing the hood hinges. Then, back to the paint guy.
    Those stripes/decal packages can be challenging!

My Trans-Am has the big hood bird; it's a single piece decal that is very tricky to install correctly, especially on early cars like mine that have the ridged (not flat) hood.

They're also expensive. The entire decal package for my TA is well over $700 last time I checked. That's just for the decals, not installing them!

Final paint on Chevelle

Let's see if I can get the picture to load here...

FinalPaintJobChevelle03_07_11EmailLg.jpg

This is the pic of the final paint job. After the new hood hinges, and after the stripes were repainted again.