Thread: Wheels

Wheels

Anybody know a good place to order some good wheels for my car? I've got a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII with 48K on the clock. I want to get away from the wire wheels to decrease unsprung weight. I want to stay with the 15X6 size. I need the Ford 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

I like the old style 5 spoke mag wheels like the Cragar SS of yore. I saw a wheel at Pep Boys that I would love to have. They can only sell me a 17 inch wheel. I do NOT want bigger rims. Ford spenjt a lot of money on designing the suspension and I don't want to change it with bigger wheels. There was one with a black center and polished edge that would set the lines off perfectly.

This is basically a really fancy Thunderbird. You'd think wheels would be available. I'm even checking craigslist for used wheels. My tires are at the end of their service life and I want to do it all at once.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

I just put your year / make / model and came up with these

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    I just put your year / make / model and came up with these

They didn't list Lincoln at all. I punched in a 1984 T-bird but the wheels start at $1000 for a set and go up to 5K. Rural King has the tire I want and this Thursday it goes on sale as 4 for the price of 3.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Anybody know a good place to order some good wheels for my car? I've got a 1984 Lincoln Mark VII with 48K on the clock. I want to get away from the wire wheels to decrease unsprung weight. I want to stay with the 15X6 size. I need the Ford 5 on 4.5 bolt pattern.

I like the old style 5 spoke mag wheels like the Cragar SS of yore. I saw a wheel at Pep Boys that I would love to have. They can only sell me a 17 inch wheel. I do NOT want bigger rims. Ford spenjt a lot of money on designing the suspension and I don't want to change it with bigger wheels. There was one with a black center and polished edge that would set the lines off perfectly.

This is basically a really fancy Thunderbird. You'd think wheels would be available. I'm even checking craigslist for used wheels. My tires are at the end of their service life and I want to do it all at once.
    It's gonna be tough, I suspect, to find a new aftermarket wheel in a 15 inch size. No one makes them because everyone wants 17 and 18 (and larger) wheels. Even 16s will be hard to locate, I bet.

You may have better luck looking into restoration/reproduction wheels for old muscle cars. For example, they are making repro "rally" wheels for most of the cars built from the late '60s through the '70s and of course, most of these came with 14 and 15 inch wheels.

Also: How about using the factory LSC wheels? I always thought they looked nice and I bet you could find a set for not too much coin.

I went to Jegs.com last night and not only do they have the wheels, you can get a picture of your car and see what they will look like on it. You can even change the color to the one of your car. I found new wheels that I like for anywhere from $45 to $500 each. Needless to say, the $500 wheels won't be on my car.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I went to Jegs.com last night and not only do they have the wheels, you can get a picture of your car and see what they will look like on it. You can even change the color to the one of your car. I found new wheels that I like for anywhere from $45 to $500 each. Needless to say, the $500 wheels won't be on my car.
    Wow - Im surprised!

In 15x6?

I know for sure - because I have looked all over - that finding performance tires for a 15 inch rim is damn hard. The BFG Radial TA is pretty much it. And it's not really a performance tire at all!

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Wow - Im surprised!

In 15x6?

I know for sure - because I have looked all over - that finding performance tires for a 15 inch rim is damn hard. The BFG Radial TA is pretty much it. And it's not really a performance tire at all!

I found a bunch of 15X7 wheels. I can live with that. The main thing is they will be lighter and NOT have that darned rattling center cap. As for performance tires, if they have tread, I can run them hard. The ones I have an eye on are on sale starting Thursday and are better suited for the roads around here. There aren't any trees growing so it must be a road.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

That's what are on my car, the BFG T/A 15 inch.

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    That's what are on my car, the BFG T/A 15 inch.
    Same: 245/60-15s on my 15x7 Pontiac Honeycomb wheels.

It's pretty much all you can get.

If you want a modern speed-rated, high-performance tire you pretty much have to swap the wheels out and go up to at least a 16x8 wheel. I will not do this because I love the look and "periodicity" of the factory Honeycombs. Non-stock/not-factory rims ruin the looks of the car as far as I am concerned.

It also makes the car more fun.

Just imagine: Massive (almost 8 liter) V-8 producing 450-plus lbs.-ft. of torque pouring it all through 15x7 wheels/tires! No traction control!

Burnouts are fun! Sliding sideways is my bag, baby!

"Non-stock/not-factory rims ruin the looks of the car as far as I am concerned."

I usually agree with that. But, in my case, I actually like the newer ones that the former owner put on the car. I am probably not using the right name for them, but they are chrome and in the shape of a star with long, slender arms. I have the original set of wheels/covers and I like the new ones better, so I'll just leave them on.

"Burnouts are fun! Sliding sideways is my bag, baby!"

Yep - they are fun aren't they?