Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Temp light still coming on...cr@p.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    More temp light issues....

Ok, the other night when the temp light came on, I think I probably did not let the car warm up sufficiently because I was in a hurry to get my son to his Scout meeting on time.

The next day, when the light did not come on, I let the car warm up until it self-adjusted its idle down.

Yesterday, I let the car warm up before taking the same route to the Scout house. The temp light did not come on.

Took my son and his g/f to dinner...about 45 minutes or an hour passed. Started the car, assuming it would not need to warm itself again, took off, didn't get 6 blocks before the temp light came on.

Could it be that I just have a finicky, arthritic car that needs to be coddled before I drive it?
    We really need to verify what the actual operating temperature of the engine is before we can intelligently proceed. The light may just be coming on - for any one of several reasons that may have nothing to do with whether it is overheating.

A suggestion: Since you just spent a huge wad of money at the resto shop that did your husband's Chevelle, I bet they'd help you out by pointing an infra-red scanner at the Elky's radiator to find out exactly what the actual temperature is. They almost certainly have this tool - and they don't have to do more than pop the hood to check.

Again: If there are no other signs of overheating (steam/boil-over; a "hot" smell; engine knock) and given all the parts you have replaced already - my bet is you either have a problem with the light (or the sender or the wiring) or the radiator you have is just barely adequate and the car is running hot - and intermittently overheating....

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    We really need to verify what the actual operating temperature of the engine is before we can intelligently proceed. The light may just be coming on - for any one of several reasons that may have nothing to do with whether it is overheating.

A suggestion: Since you just spent a huge wad of money at the resto shop that did your husband's Chevelle, I bet they'd help you out by pointing an infra-red scanner at the Elky's radiator to find out exactly what the actual temperature is. They almost certainly have this tool - and they don't have to do more than pop the hood to check.

Again: If there are no other signs of overheating (steam/boil-over; a "hot" smell; engine knock) and given all the parts you have replaced already - my bet is you either have a problem with the light (or the sender or the wiring) or the radiator you have is just barely adequate and the car is running hot - and intermittently overheating....
    Well, I would get Mike the mechanic to check it with a heat scanner, and he would do it for free for me....except that he is in another town far away....this is Texas and nothing is close.

Maybe the guys at the performance shop can do that for me.

I called the Chevy house the other day and asked what the normal operating temp on my car should be. I don't know if the guy I talked to would be considered a credible source, but he looked it up and said that it should run at 185 - 190. So, my 195 thermostat should be good.

Again, I think you may be right regarding the radiator.

Time to go and spend more on the money pit.