Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Dinner etiquette

  1. #1
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185

    Talking Dinner etiquette

    I've been thinking (and my head hurts too). I'm a middle aged bachelor and need some dinner table advice. Is it proper to eat french fries with your fingers, or should the fingers be eaten separately?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  2. #2
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    Stop thinking and your headache will go away.

    French fry etiquette dictates that you eat them with your fingers when they are accompanying a burger or chicken fingers or other food that you eat with your hands.

    When the fries accompany a steak or other dish that requires utensils, cut them into pieces and use a fork.

    hope this helps~

  3. #3
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I've been thinking (and my head hurts too). I'm a middle aged bachelor and need some dinner table advice. Is it proper to eat french fries with your fingers, or should the fingers be eaten separately?
    Strange, Grouch, I put your question to the delectable Diane. She went a strange sort of green color and won't come out of the bathroom.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  4. #4
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Strange, Grouch, I put your question to the delectable Diane. She went a strange sort of green color and won't come out of the bathroom.

    Ken.


    I don't think eesquared read the whole question.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    138
    As a fine Southern Lady (in my best Scarlett voice), it is always permissible to eat your fries with your fingers. Should you decide you should need extra protein, then it is up to you to determine if your fingers meet that criteria. Fingers are NOT considered finger food and must be eaten properly with a knife and fork.

  6. #6
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by ducky1776 View Post
    As a fine Southern Lady (in my best Scarlett voice), it is always permissible to eat your fries with your fingers. Should you decide you should need extra protein, then it is up to you to determine if your fingers meet that criteria. Fingers are NOT considered finger food and must be eaten properly with a knife and fork.


    If instead of eating your fingers, you gnawed on your toes, would that be Tofud?
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  7. #7
    You mean you can reach your toes?
    I'm going quackers!

  8. #8
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    You mean you can reach your toes?


    I sure can. I poke them with a stick.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  9. #9
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    You mean you can reach your toes?
    Grouch is obviously an exception to a time honored rule, Quacky. Once one gets to what is often, euphemistically, referred to as the 'twilight of one's years', one frequently finds it increasingly difficult to even see one's toes let alone reach them. (Luckily one's man servant is always on hand to assist one in putting on one's socks and shoes.)

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  10. #10
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Grouch is obviously an exception to a time honored rule, Quacky. Once one gets to what is often, euphemistically, referred to as the 'twilight of one's years', one frequently finds it increasingly difficult to even see one's toes let alone reach them. (Luckily one's man servant is always on hand to assist one in putting on one's socks and shoes.)

    Ken.

    Actually, at age 56, I weigh about 5 pounds less than I did in high school. Partly because I try to stay in shape and partly because I was a fat pharte in school. Except for a grey beard and the hair on top being shorter (and the hair in my ears longer) I still look the same in pictures as I did when I got out of school. No, I wasn't a 30 year old Sophomore.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  11. #11
    Administrator Ken's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.
    Posts
    3,488
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    Actually, at age 56, I weigh about 5 pounds less than I did in high school. Partly because I try to stay in shape and partly because I was a fat pharte in school. Except for a grey beard and the hair on top being shorter (and the hair in my ears longer) I still look the same in pictures as I did when I got out of school. No, I wasn't a 30 year old Sophomore.
    56? 56? is that all? Why, bless my soul, thee's nobbut a lad yet with a whole lifetime ahead of thee.

    Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

  12. #12
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    56? 56? is that all? Why, bless my soul, thee's nobbut a lad yet with a whole lifetime ahead of thee.

    Ken.

    In my family, it's common to be vigorous into the 80's. The 90's aren't too bad (mom is 92) and there have been several centenarians. Personally, I plan to go out with a bang and not fade away. My current plan is to live to 102 and be shot by a jealous husband of a 20 year old exotic dancer. I plan to come to the end of my life with a skid sideways while hollering "Yee Haw! What a ride!!!".
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  13. #13
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    In my family, it's common to be vigorous into the 80's. The 90's aren't too bad (mom is 92) and there have been several centenarians. Personally, I plan to go out with a bang and not fade away. My current plan is to live to 102 and be shot by a jealous husband of a 20 year old exotic dancer. I plan to come to the end of my life with a skid sideways while hollering "Yee Haw! What a ride!!!".
    I gotta admire your ambition there, dude.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    In my family, it's common to be vigorous into the 80's. The 90's aren't too bad (mom is 92) and there have been several centenarians. Personally, I plan to go out with a bang and not fade away. My current plan is to live to 102 and be shot by a jealous husband of a 20 year old exotic dancer. I plan to come to the end of my life with a skid sideways while hollering "Yee Haw! What a ride!!!".
    The rest of that quote is "with a box of chocolates in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other." that's my idea of going out.
    I'm going quackers!

  15. #15
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by Quackers View Post
    The rest of that quote is "with a box of chocolates in one hand and a bottle of champagne in the other." that's my idea of going out.

    Well, I was trying to be proper. (Not normal for me) I figure it will take them 3 days to get the smile off my face and maybe a couple more to get the lid shut.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

  16. #16
    Senior Member eesquared's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    455
    Hmm....champagne and chocolate. Yep - that's the way I wanna go.

  17. #17
    Senior Member grouch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,185
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Hmm....champagne and chocolate. Yep - that's the way I wanna go.

    I used to eat all natural foods but then I realized that most people die from natural causes.

    Then again, when I start feeling blue, I just start breathing again.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

    Text if you want to meet him.

Similar Threads

  1. 'Nuther etiquette question
    By grouch in forum Powder Puffs
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-25-2011, 10:40 PM
  2. African: It's what's for dinner!
    By Eric in forum The Maggots...
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-15-2010, 11:53 AM
  3. Ford pitches carpooling etiquette
    By Eric in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
  4. Christmas Dinner
    By Jim Rose in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-22-2007, 03:26 PM
  5. etiquette film:
    By misterdecibel in forum Motor Mouth
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-31-2007, 09:17 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •