Thread: replacing exhaust

replacing exhaust

Someone before I bought my bike, removed the baffles out of both of my exhaust pipes. When I picked it up from having the carbs rebuilt at the shop, they recommend to me that I replace them at a later time with original pipes with the baffles still in place. On St. Patty's day while up at a bar, I was talking to another guy that works on HD's, and he stated that the lack of baffles, would decrease my back pressure and over time (may take several years) can pretty much ruin the motor. I have looked around to see about getting factory replacement exhaust for the bike, however the only pipes I have found are used on Ebay and have some dents and even rust on them, and I'd hate to replace mine with them as mine are not dented and have zero rust on them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do. Should I consider replacing them with aftermarket exhaust if I can find some to fit. Remember the bike is an 1980 Suzuki GS550L, so it is harder to find parts for it.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Someone before I bought my bike, removed the baffles out of both of my exhaust pipes. When I picked it up from having the carbs rebuilt at the shop, they recommend to me that I replace them at a later time with original pipes with the baffles still in place. On St. Patty's day while up at a bar, I was talking to another guy that works on HD's, and he stated that the lack of baffles, would decrease my back pressure and over time (may take several years) can pretty much ruin the motor. I have looked around to see about getting factory replacement exhaust for the bike, however the only pipes I have found are used on Ebay and have some dents and even rust on them, and I'd hate to replace mine with them as mine are not dented and have zero rust on them. Does anyone have any suggestions of what I should do. Should I consider replacing them with aftermarket exhaust if I can find some to fit. Remember the bike is an 1980 Suzuki GS550L, so it is harder to find parts for it.
    I suggest going with a good aftermarket unit such as sold by Vance & Hines. Much less expensive than the factory units; much easier to find, too (just call Dennis Kirk www.denniskirk.com or visit the site and order).

Mac also has a full/complete replacement exhaust:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...25521&mmy=7106

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    I suggest going with a good aftermarket unit such as sold by Vance & Hines. Much less expensive than the factory units; much easier to find, too (just call Dennis Kirk www.denniskirk.com or visit the site and order).

Mac also has a full/complete replacement exhaust:

http://www.denniskirk.com/jsp/produc...25521&mmy=7106
    Just a little heads-up, Tim. Over here we can get replacement baffles for some systems, might be worth checking this out at your bike shop/Suzi dealer.

If you do decide to fit an aftermarket exhaust system always check with the manufacturer or supplier to find out if the jets in your carbs will need changing. Many aftermarket exhaust systems have significantly freer gas flow characteristics that can dramatically change the fuel/air ratio across your engines rev range. No good having a nice shiny new system with a good sound if you go off for an afternoon's run and melt a piston or two. Over here, after fitting a new system I would opt to go to a Dynojet shop and have the carbs properly set up on a dyno. I would then have confidence that the stoichometric (fuel/air) ratio, ideally around 14.7:1, was within acceptable limits right across the bike's full rev/load range.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post

They may not ruin the engine but it can cause major (and expensive) repairs. What happens is if you open the exhaust and don't enrichen the carburetors, you'll run lean. This can burn valves but if it gets really bad it can eat away the head where the valve seats. My KZ1000 had open exhaust as well as being enriched and the bore was enlarged making it a 1340 cc engine. It had the stock frame and I found out real quick why you see so many with stretched frames. I can drive anything but I was almost as scared of that bike as I was my dune buggy when it got over 50. (The front wheels would oscillate off the ground.)
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    They may not ruin the engine but it can cause major (and expensive) repairs. What happens is if you open the exhaust and don't enrichen the carburetors, you'll run lean. This can burn valves but if it gets really bad it can eat away the head where the valve seats. My KZ1000 had open exhaust as well as being enriched and the bore was enlarged making it a 1340 cc engine. It had the stock frame and I found out real quick why you see so many with stretched frames. I can drive anything but I was almost as scared of that bike as I was my dune buggy when it got over 50. (The front wheels would oscillate off the ground.)
    My Kz900 (with big bore kit) does the same thing at about 115 or so. It comes on suddenly and if you aren't calm and just ease off the gas gradually a tank slapper situation is sometimes the result.... and that'll wake you up!

I'll probably just go with an afttermarket exhaust system and rejet the carbs if need be once I get the money. Can't do anything right now as I don't have the cash.
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel