Thread: Moving, Hopefully soon

Moving, Hopefully soon

Hay all,
    I havn't been on the boards much lately. I had a lot going on this winter. I won't bore you with all the details of how much the last 5 months or so sucked but will cut to the good stuff.
    We planned on moving to Texas after I got my 30 years in with my union. I got laid off a year ago this comeing April and the prospects for work are worse now than they were then. The construction business is in the toilet in this state. Due to damage to my roof this winter from all the snow we had the whole roof, ceilings, and everything attached to them have been replaced and the place is looking good. I have some minor work to do to spruce the place up and we are putting it on the market.
    I have been in touch with the union hall in Houston Texas and they said they can put me to work in late spring or early summer. I'm hopeing we will be living in Texas by no later than June. Ahhh, no more snow. Year round riding. It just don't get any better than that........

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Frosts08ultra View Post
    Hay all,
    I havn't been on the boards much lately. I had a lot going on this winter. I won't bore you with all the details of how much the last 5 months or so sucked but will cut to the good stuff.
    We planned on moving to Texas after I got my 30 years in with my union. I got laid off a year ago this comeing April and the prospects for work are worse now than they were then. The construction business is in the toilet in this state. Due to damage to my roof this winter from all the snow we had the whole roof, ceilings, and everything attached to them have been replaced and the place is looking good. I have some minor work to do to spruce the place up and we are putting it on the market.
    I have been in touch with the union hall in Houston Texas and they said they can put me to work in late spring or early summer. I'm hopeing we will be living in Texas by no later than June. Ahhh, no more snow. Year round riding. It just don't get any better than that........
    Where ya movin? I'm headed there from Florida. The Florida sunshine is great, but it took a wrecking ball to my earning power and my career. Being from CT myself, you will find Texas to be a culture shock. The only redeeming quality I can find in the state is that 2 lane roads are posted at 70 mph in rural areas. There is a bill to raise that to 75.

Wow, that is going to be huge change of scenery. My mom used to live in Texas. It's awesome there. You'll be able to take riding the next level too!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

]Hay all,
    I have been in touch with the union hall in Houston Texas and they said they can put me to work in late spring or early summer. I'm hopeing we will be living in Texas by no later than June. Ahhh, no more snow. Year round riding. It just don't get any better than that
    ================================================== =====

Hiya Mark!

Hmmmm...... Texas! I was engaged to a Texas gal once. Ever since the I haven't been able to trust anyone from south of Colorado Springs

Serious up, best of luck with you new plans and heck, Texas is a lot closer to Denver than CT. is

Welcome to Texas.

Construction hints:
    - Houses are built on slabs, unless you're in a coastal area where they're built on poles to allow a storm surge to pass underneath. Some exceptions in the hill country, too. But very few basements here.
    - There are no licensing requirements for being a general contractor. So finding a good one is a matter of seeing who has a good reputation.
    - Permitting & zoning range from somewhat tight (urban areas) to non-existent (everywhere else).
    - No sales tax, but state government gets their money from a property tax, so that puts a limit on what ordinary people are willing to spend on a house.
    - Labor is mostly Hispanic. But don't call them Mexicans - nearly all are Americans. DHS/INS regularly checks out jobsites, so illegals work only as the most unskilled of labor.
    - Texas is a right-to-work state, so unions have little power.
    - There are few large trees in the state, so lumber is generally imported from Louisiana/Alabama. Which means it's expensive.

Feel free to ask me anything else.

Chip H.

Welcome to Texas.

Construction hints:
    - Houses are built on slabs, unless you're in a coastal area where they're built on poles to allow a storm surge to pass underneath. Some exceptions in the hill country, too. But very few basements here.
    - There are no licensing requirements for being a general contractor. So finding a good one is a matter of seeing who has a good reputation.
    - Permitting & zoning range from somewhat tight (urban areas) to non-existent (everywhere else).
    - No sales tax, but state government gets their money from a property tax, so that puts a limit on what ordinary people are willing to spend on a house.
    - Labor is mostly Hispanic. But don't call them Mexicans - nearly all are Americans. DHS/INS regularly checks out jobsites, so illegals work only as the most unskilled of labor.
    - There are few large trees in the state, so lumber is generally imported from Louisiana/Alabama. Which means it's expensive.
    - Construction jobs here, while better than elsewhere in the US, still aren't plentiful. But people who have good reputations and are flexible can easily find work.

Chip H.

Talk about day ja vu excuse my french. I remember Barry wanting to know where to move to from California and it was Texas. What is it about Texas people wanting to live there? Anyway hope it all goes well for you. I can understand getting a job as a pretty powerful motivator for change. Still it seems like a mighty fine place to live. Wishing you and your wife all the best and try that Texas hill country heard it's suppose to be some of the best riding also Big Ben national park.

Hay all,
    Hey, Mark. Looks like you and Belva are taking a giant step, uprooting and moving to a different state. From my few visits to Texas (Dallas area mainly) I reckon you two have some good riding times ahead of you. All my best wishes and I hope the move, when it comes, goes nice and smoothly with no hitches or glitches.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Hay all,
    Sorry to hear about this; I keep hearing more stories very much like it - a barometer of the crappy state of the country. Four years ago I didn't personally know a single person in serious financial trouble. Today I know many, including some good friends and family members.

I hope things pick up for you in Texas....

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Where ya movin? I'm headed there from Florida. The Florida sunshine is great, but it took a wrecking ball to my earning power and my career. Being from CT myself, you will find Texas to be a culture shock. The only redeeming quality I can find in the state is that 2 lane roads are posted at 70 mph in rural areas. There is a bill to raise that to 75.
    We are headed to the Houston area but don't have a lock on exactly what town we will eventually live in but do not want to live in Houston itself. As for culture shock, I have some family in Texas and have been there several times so I know what to expect.

Quote Originally Posted by Oldfrtbkr View Post
    ]Hay all,
    I have been in touch with the union hall in Houston Texas and they said they can put me to work in late spring or early summer. I'm hopeing we will be living in Texas by no later than June. Ahhh, no more snow. Year round riding. It just don't get any better than that
    ================================================== =====

Hiya Mark!

Hmmmm...... Texas! I was engaged to a Texas gal once. Ever since the I haven't been able to trust anyone from south of Colorado Springs

Serious up, best of luck with you new plans and heck, Texas is a lot closer to Denver than CT. is

Aww JP, you nailed down the actual reason for moving to Texas,,,, To be closer to you.

Quote Originally Posted by chiph View Post
    Welcome to Texas.

Construction hints:

Chip H.
    Thanks for the tips Chip.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post
    Sorry to hear about this; I keep hearing more stories very much like it - a barometer of the crappy state of the country. Four years ago I didn't personally know a single person in serious financial trouble. Today I know many, including some good friends and family members.

I hope things pick up for you in Texas....
    Thanks Eric. Fortunatly we are ok financially for now but we need to do something soon to stay that way. I feel fortunate to be in a position to improve my situation as a lot of people out there can't

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Thanks Eric. Fortunatly we are ok financially for now but we need to do something soon to stay that way. I feel fortunate to be in a position to improve my situation as a lot of people out there can't
    A-men.

Same situation here. We're fortunate relative to many we know. I'm grateful we moved away from the city, sold our old house, etc., before it all went south. Had we not done that, we'd be in real trouble, too. I used to make a good living writing; there were even salaried jobs with benefits available. That is almost all gone now.

Hay all,
    Well, I'll be....That makes three of us that are moving to the Houston area.

I'll be moving in June, to the west part of Houston. We previously lived in the north part of Houston for about 17 years. Depending on where you work, if you live on the north side, Montgomery County schools are better than Harris County - I don't know if you have kids in school, but if you do, it is something to consider.

Texas is a right-to-work state, so you will not have to pay any union dues.

There is no State Income tax in Texas, but we have he!!acious property taxes, so be prepared for that.

It gets hot here in the summertime - make sure your air conditioners (car and house) are in good working order.

The beach is only a couple of hours from Houston. The weather is like New Orleans: swampy and muggy most of the year.

There are open roads aplenty to ride....once you get out of the metro areas.

Oh, and from a fellow (and native) Texan -Welcome to Texas!

Thanks for the tips Chip.
    Do you mean "No State income tax"? Texas does have sales tax. I think it's currently 6.25%, with the cities adding their usual upcharge of 2% (+ or -), the Houston metro area pays 8.25% sales tax.

Oh, and there is no zoning in Houston. It's been that way forever. The only zoning rules are in subdivisions with HOAs, and some of them can be pretty strict, especially if they are a 'master planned community' such as Friendswood, Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc.

Hay all,
    Ooops....almost forgot:

In Houston proper, there is no zoning. That means that if you own a business, you can live on or adjacent to the business. The restrictions are usually found in subdivisions with HOAs.

The communities with the stricter HOAs are the 'master planned communities' such as Friendswood, Kingwood, The Woodlands, etc.