Thread: The Sugarland Express

Staff

The Sugarland Express

Cops aren't like this anymore either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nYx...eature=related

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Cops aren't like this anymore either.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4nYx...eature=related
    Sugarland doesn't look like that, either.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    Sugarland doesn't look like that, either.
    I was afraid about that, but certainly not surprised. This whole country has been radically reshaped by deindustralization/globalization and easy credit. First came deindustrialization brought on by removal of protective tariffs on foreign made goods, the very protections that helped our standard of living grow. Then in late 1973, the country underwent the energy shock, which encouraged companies to look for ways to cut costs. Our commuting patterns became more disjointed as factories closed. Small towns died and land around cities became carved up with subdivisions of every sort. People drove longer distances.

After that, in order to keep our standard of living, under Reagan, we started on a borrowing and a tax cutting binge. The first round of Reagan tax cuts restored some sanity to the tax code, but after that, it has been window dressing.

The easy credit was necessary to fuel the binge that began in the 1980's. As a result of more money being printed, real estate developers came into full swing, beginning to pave over every bit of empty land near urban areas. I saw the beginnings of that in late 1980's Texas.

It is truly disgusting the amount of cronyism and the blatant disregard that there is for the natural environment among the whole lot of us. I am no environmentalist as I vehemently disagree with climate change and the idea of forcing people out of their cars, but, come on, you just can't get rid of unnecessary development.

It's a shame that there isn't a Sugarland that resembles the old one where the kids were out counting the cars driving by in the movie. Today, their heads would spin off their necks trying to keep up.

"...under Reagan, we started on a borrowing and a tax cutting binge..."

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am sick and tired of hearing the Demoplicans drone on and one about how good things were under Reagan. In the Reagan administration, our national debt quadrupled for the first time in history, and that set the precedence for every administration since Reagan's to spend us into unfathomable debt.

In our current 2-party system, there is really no difference between the Dems or the Reps - they both trample the Constitution and spend freely with disregard to the consequences to the American people.

We need to fire the whole dern bunch of them.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    "...under Reagan, we started on a borrowing and a tax cutting binge..."

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! I am sick and tired of hearing the Demoplicans drone on and one about how good things were under Reagan. In the Reagan administration, our national debt quadrupled for the first time in history, and that set the precedence for every administration since Reagan's to spend us into unfathomable debt.

In our current 2-party system, there is really no difference between the Dems or the Reps - they both trample the Constitution and spend freely with disregard to the consequences to the American people.

We need to fire the whole dern bunch of them.
    Yep. Another thing about what happened during Reagan's term. It was the beginning of the "At Will" employment contract which means a company can fire you for any reason without consequence to them. On the other hand, the company can make you work out your "two weeks notice" or you won't get the vacation time YOU earned. I think that conincided not too much after the damned PATCO breakup where he fired the air controllers.

I also get sick of these right wingnut blowhards talking about "right to work" states. With at will, you have the right to be fired. Not to work. Right to work is almost as irrelevant as the horse and buggy. Right to work protects you from those evil uuuuuuuuuuuunnnnnniooooooooons. Balderdash. Unions only comprise 9% of the workforce and most of them are government workers.

UUUUUUUnnnnnnnnions did not screw up the workplace. It was every single administration since Woodrow Wilson.

Okay, I've vented enough. Your turn....

Houston is going to be fun! lol.