Thread: Do these websites strike you as 'big brotherish'?

Do these websites strike you as 'big brotherish'?

http://www.handicappedfraud.org

http://perverted-justice.com/

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/list_of_names.htm

Go ahead and take a look around. I will wait...

My question is, do we really want websites like these trying and convicting others 'in the court of public opinion' or do we want to go 'by the book', even if it means the guilty getting off the hook?

A thought just came to me as I am sitting here typing. Could it be that the police state we have is caused by...our own demands? We all recoil in outrage when a child molester beats the rap on the police failing to read the Miranda warning...could it be that outrage which caused us to throw aside our liberties in the name of 'protecting the children'?
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by RebelKnightCSA View Post
    http://www.handicappedfraud.org

http://perverted-justice.com/

http://www.pownetwork.org/phonies/list_of_names.htm

Go ahead and take a look around. I will wait...

My question is, do we really want websites like these trying and convicting others 'in the court of public opinion' or do we want to go 'by the book', even if it means the guilty getting off the hook?

A thought just came to me as I am sitting here typing. Could it be that the police state we have is caused by...our own demands? We all recoil in outrage when a child molester beats the rap on the police failing to read the Miranda warning...could it be that outrage which caused us to throw aside our liberties in the name of 'protecting the children'?

Rebel:

They sure do. They reek of jackbooted right wing nazism. I'm a right winger myself, but with a libertarian constitutionalist, economic nationalist streak. I'm sick of "law and order" types taking away our constitutional rights.

I wish I could ship these people on a shuttle to outer space.

Quote Originally Posted by swamprat View Post
    Rebel:

They sure do. They reek of jackbooted right wing nazism. I'm a right winger myself, but with a libertarian constitutionalist, economic nationalist streak. I'm sick of "law and order" types taking away our constitutional rights.

I wish I could ship these people on a shuttle to outer space.
    Point taken. Thing is, the people who run those sites dont have the power of the State. Instead, they use public opinion to 'name and shame'.

Ultimately, in a libertarian society, I believe 'name and shame' may well be the best course of justice. Shunning is a powerful social weapon, and it works very well at keeping people in line. I dont know about you, but I would much rather go to jail for an indiscretion than be put in the pillory for all to see - and mock. Destroying one's social network can work wonders at causing an offender to turn around and fly right. That explains why there is so little violent crime in places like Japan - reputation is everything there, and once you get a spot on your reputation it is extremely difficult to remove it. Even the most hardheaded of the assholes will become friendly and courteous when he sees that his only choice is 'be nice or lose everything'.

Justice is best served by 'little brother' - We The People setting codes and ensuring compliance by doing favours for those who comply and stiff-arming those who do not. As far as I can tell, it is the only way a libertarian state can survive.
    If we should give Abraham Lincoln credit for uniting America, then we should give Adolf Hitler credit for uniting Europe, as both men used the same methods for the same goals.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Americans have become Yankees.

Meaning, they are self-righteous, moralizing (and often hypocritical) prigs. Arising from these sterling qualities is a determination to impose their beliefs/attitudes and way of life on others - by whatever means available.

Lincoln was the archetype. Government by the consent of the governed? Not unless it's the form of government Lincoln consents to! Malice toward none, charity toward all? Unless you're (formerly) free people who dared to oppose the unlimited, dictatorial reign of the first "Decider." Or the women and children deliberately slaughtered purely for the purposes of instilling terror; or the later genocide of the Indians by the Heinrich Himmlers of the 19th century, Sheridan and Sherman. Etc.

America became a psychopath nation as a result of the victory of the North in the war it launched against the Southern states.

Everything follows from that awful event, including these busybody web sites.

Well, you know what Jefferson said, that he who gives up his liberty in exchange for a perceived safety deserves neither.

So...yes, we have fallen prey to the warped logic that things like the Patriot Act, the intrusive TSA, the war on drugs, etc.....make us "safer", but not everyone bothers to think of the loss of liberty that results in those "safety precautions."

And, yes, personally I would rather see a hundred guilty men go free than one innocent man be incarcerated.

Thank you for your responses, all of you.

Heres an idea - suppose social shaming was also applied to the minions of the Federal Government? Suppose being a TSA junkgrabber was considered the equivalent of being a NAMBLA member, with the associated shaming / shunning / humiliating? Suppose advocating for MADD was considered even worse than advocating for the Taleban? The list goes on...if it gets to the point where wearing a Federal uniform got you treated the same as if you wore an SS uniform to a bar mitzvah, would there be anyone who would take on those jobs? Or would the whole thing collapse like a cheap camera under the whole 'too many chiefs, not enough Indians' philosophy? See what I mean about social shaming changing behaviour? Just A Thought!