Thread: possible stroke signs

possible stroke signs

This is for those that know anything about possible signs of a previous stroke. I noticed that sometime which in the past year that my right eye acts like a lazy eye and points outward as if I'm looking to the right even if I am looking completely dead straight on. If I cover up my left eye with my hand, the right eye will then go straight. My peripheral vision is still fine, and I can still follow objects to the left or right. I went to the eye doctor about a year ago and everything was fine at the time. I have looked at pictures from the past from a kid (80's) on up to '08 and in all of my pictures there was nothing wrong with my eye. I first noticed it in the mirror a couple of months ago. I just recently went to the eye doctor again and he immediately noticed the problem. He gave it some long name (cant recall what he said), but it wasn't lazy eye, and can't be corrected, and he did say that my vision in my right eye is now worst then my left. I have always had vision problems in both eyes though and have been wearing glasses since I was 9 months old though. The second thing there is is that about a year ago I had my hearing tested and found out I had some hearing loss in both ears but it was worse in my left ear. I haven't really been around noisy environments since '07 that would cause hearing loss. Anyway's I just had my hearing checked last week, and come to find out now that the hearing in my left ear is about the same, but has gotten worse in right ear and is now worst then the left. I was wondering if maybe those 2 things combined could mean I had a minor stroke that is affecting my right side. I haven't talked to no medical doctor about it yet, or even know if I should. I also know that the only for sure way to know is a cat scan of the brain, and that there are cases of having so minor of a stroke that even it does not show on a cat scan (my father had one of these). Yes strokes do run in my family, my maternal grandfather has quite a few, including a few major ones, and my father as I said had a minor one. Also, although I'm only 27 years old, I do have almost every risk factor of stroke that there is, except TIA that i know of. I'm wondering really wondering if this might not be TIA I suffered or minor stroke? Any advice anyone?
    Tim, proud owner of 2001 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 & 2007 Honda CMX250C Rebel

Well Tim, this is ChevyMan who's in his late 80's who have experienced TIA, otherwise also known as "minor stroke" by the medical community. I have no medical background, by the way. I believe TIA and high blood pressure go hand in hand, I mean if you have high blood pressure (HBP) , you are at high risk of having TIA or full-blown STROKE , which could affect your whole body from head to foot. With the milder TIA, you usually have paralysis on one side of your body but will go away after a few hours. It's really a scary feeling. I've had TIA 2-3 times during the past 5 years but am now on prescribed medications to control HBP and TIA which I take every single day without fail but sometimes I forget to but no harm done as long as I continue to take the pill as scheduled every day.

All I can say today, is you should consult your family doctor for help and advice. It worked for me. Take care, Tim.

Larry T.

Well I know I am at full risk of having a stroke along with a heart attack for that matter, as I do have hypertension (high blood pressure), type II diabetes, morbid obesity, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Everything has been under control though with all the medications I take lately. I'm just not sure if the 2 symptoms I have could be a sign that I had a stroke or even if they're related to my physical health problems.

Quote Originally Posted by bikerlbf406 View Post
    Well I know I am at full risk of having a stroke along with a heart attack for that matter, as I do have hypertension (high blood pressure), type II diabetes, morbid obesity, high cholesterol, and heart disease. Everything has been under control though with all the medications I take lately. I'm just not sure if the 2 symptoms I have could be a sign that I had a stroke or even if they're related to my physical health problems.

Only a Doctor can tell you if you're really having a stroke. I know we were taught to ask someone to stick out their tongue and to raise their hands from their lap palms forward.

Losing weight is good. It can only help. Why not try the diet I developed. It's not a fast diet but it worked for me. For one week, keep a journal of everything you eat. I mean EVERYTHING! If you want to eat 4 Quarter Pounders and get up at midnight to eat a gallon of Cookie Dough ice cream, do it. In week two, eat all the same stuff, but only half. Eat two Quarter Pounders and only half a gallong of Cookie Dough ice cream. Your body doesn't realize it's not eating as much so it doesn't go into famine mode. I'll bet you have some Native American ancestry. I do too and have to watch my weight. It's a survival trait that helped our ancestors to survive in a rough environment.

The result was I lost 65 pounds in a little under 10 months and have kept it off for years. I even was taken off my Diabetes medication for a while by the doctor. I'm 56 and weigh 5 pounds less than when I graduated high school.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Did he say you had retinopathy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_retinopathy

The one thing you can control is your weight. I know there are weight loss diets for diabetics. Being the correct weight will relieve some stress from your body.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    Did he say you had retinopathy?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabetic_retinopathy

The one thing you can control is your weight. I know there are weight loss diets for diabetics. Being the correct weight will relieve some stress from your body.
    No that is not what he said I had, in fact he done all the testing to check my eye thoroughly after finding out I was a diabetic, but there is no damage to retina or eyes from the diabetes. I think what said I had began the letter E, but I could be wrong. As far as my weight is concerned, I don't eat no where near what I used to and have changed my dieting around. I have lost some weight (25 pounds) and I'm continuing to lose, but since I can't really do much in exercise due to my back damage and arthritis of the spine and knees and all, I find it quite difficult to walk, even shorter distances. I have always been obese, but one the medications I was put on for being bipolar caused me to gain over 100 pounds in 1 year. I have since been taking off of that medication, but its harder then hell to drop the weight back down, and especially when you have multiple physical problems, and then weigh over 300 pounds to top it off.

No that is not what he said I had, in fact he done all the testing to check my eye thoroughly after finding out I was a diabetic, but there is no damage to retina or eyes from the diabetes. I think what said I had began the letter E, but I could be wrong. As far as my weight is concerned, I don't eat no where near what I used to and have changed my dieting around. I have lost some weight (25 pounds) and I'm continuing to lose, but since I can't really do much in exercise due to my back damage and arthritis of the spine and knees and all, I find it quite difficult to walk, even shorter distances. I have always been obese, but one the medications I was put on for being bipolar caused me to gain over 100 pounds in 1 year. I have since been taking off of that medication, but its harder then hell to drop the weight back down, and especially when you have multiple physical problems, and then weigh over 300 pounds to top it off.
    Hey, Tim. Could that have been exotropia? That is the condition where one eye turns away from the other and is, I believe, usually an 'eye moving' muscle problem.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Yeah I believe you might have hit it dead on, that does sound a lot like what he said.

OK I talked to the doctor about the problems today, and he decided to do a few basic strength tests in the office and he did say that I do have some right sided weakness and that it could have been a stroke, or that I could have Bell's Palsy. So he is having me get an MRI of the brain to see what it shows. I go back in one month, so hopefully I'll have the results of the MRI by then and will have some answers.