Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Clover Cam?

Quote Originally Posted by dom View Post
    Inspiring!

I'm thinking to just let my Panasonic spin.

I think it has around 45 min on a 1 gig card.

Do you have issues with running out of batteries?

Going to look at the small wonder now.

I'll be making a mount this weekend.

That is hot shit.
    Not sure they sell the small wonder any more. I've been running this since like 2007. It has some quirks when the card fills up but otherwise has worked well and has survived being dropped. Last time I dropped it I cracked some plastic that I epoxied back in place. I've also modded the case to try and run it off the CLA, but that attempt failed because the CLA power supply is unreliable for this application. The original tripod mount eventually failed. Maybe a year ago or so? I used some epoxy putty and an M5 threaded insert to fix it.

I use rechargeable batteries. NiMh AAs. They last about 3 hours when working well. at low rez on the 2gig card I get ~240mins and there's an additional 60mins of internal memory. Energizer batteries and a energizer fast charger at first but they don't perform well. I then bought harbor freight batteries and still used the fast charger and they worked better. I invested in a good charger and have continued using cheap harbor freight batteries. It sounds odd but it's worked well. At a less than a $1 per cell the HF AA's have worked very well being treated nice by the fancy charger. I might buy some good sanyo cells yet. Forget alkaline batteries, this camera eats them up FAST.

I forgot the bulk of the mount is just a pipe hanger bent into the needed shape. The additional parts a recent add for the new car but I found it gives a better picture in the mazda so it stays that way. For the '97 I have to take it apart and flip the camera to the other side of the mount. (just differences in the seat, windshield, etc to get the right view)

Uploaded another: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRQOC1-JSXM

Simple two lane merge over cut off... plus braking.
    Last edited by BrentP; 01-14-2012 at 12:48 AM.

Mario the merger is a good one! I like the brake check after the cut off! I give him a 9.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Found this classic in my archive...

Clovers pulling over, driving slowly, and looking for place to park on the expressway so they can watch the fireworks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs4m1OZTuIk

And just another day on the way to work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWjNHb_F8c

Clover horns

I found some horns I wanna use on clovers. Except I'd aim them forward. I just wish they'd fit on my bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OU5z...yer_embedded#!

We've got some really nasty ones on some of the mobile equipment at work that I think I can make work though.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    Found this classic in my archive...

Clovers pulling over, driving slowly, and looking for place to park on the expressway so they can watch the fireworks!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs4m1OZTuIk

And just another day on the way to work:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=3tWjNHb_F8c

There was a truck like the white one that used to do that stunt all the time. I have this thing about cell phones and driving, I don't believe in them. However, I got tired of it and started calling the phone number listed. Not the "How's my driving" number, the company number.That's much more effective. When potential customers (it was an electrical company) are calling complaining, the boss listens.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by grouch View Post
    I found some horns I wanna use on clovers. Except I'd aim them forward. I just wish they'd fit on my bike.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8OU5zrh1TQg&feature=player_embedded#!

We've got some really nasty ones on some of the mobile equipment at work that I think I can make work though.
    Is this a response to the unusually loud horn of my mazda?

The factory horn is well not up to the task... so I added a horn from a Ford crown victoria. these videos are from before I put in the relay so it doesn't sound quite right at times. Too much voltage drop for CV horn as the wiring was sized for the factory horn alone. I've since added a relay and circuit breaker to avoid that problem.
    Last edited by BrentP; 01-14-2012 at 09:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BrentP View Post
    Is this a response to the unusually loud horn of my mazda?

The factory horn is well not up to the task... so I added a horn from a Ford crown victoria. these videos are from before I put in the relay so it doesn't sound quite right at times. Too much voltage drop for CV horn as the wiring was sized for the factory horn alone. I've since added a relay and circuit breaker to avoid that problem.

They are getting harder to find but I've been known to put a 6 volt horn wired direct through a heavy switch. Those will rattle screws and bolts loose under the hood.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

You can find a decent air horn (with tree cone thingies) for $30.

Got some on my El.

Dammit!

Not I am looking at air horns again!

Check out this kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Train-Horn-K...item19bf7608a7

There is a sound clip for it too.

How sweet would that be on my Yaris?

Aight, it's on.. My next project will be appropriately named "project air horn."

I want to find something around $200 that freaking rocks!

-Mussolini

You can find a decent air horn (with tree cone thingies) for $30.

Got some on my El.

Dammit!

Not I am looking at air horns again!

Check out this kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Train-Horn-K...item19bf7608a7

There is a sound clip for it too.

How sweet would that be on my Yaris?

Aight, it's on.. My next project will be appropriately named "project air horn."

I want to find something around $200 that freaking rocks!
    I'm too cheap for that. I think I got a total of $6-12 into this crown vic horn. $6 for the relay... I can't remember if I paid individually for the horn at the junkyard or just grabbed it on an all-you-can-carry day because I could. It was sitting in my collection of parts.

Today's clover is a trucker:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWCTgtGRE9o

It's amazing how people see you coming and they just get jealous and want to be in your lane blocking you!

What video editing software do you use?

-Mussolini

It's amazing how people see you coming and they just get jealous and want to be in your lane blocking you!

What video editing software do you use?
    I am not sure what they think/feel if anything. Tonight just after I guess the 60min time limit for a single video on the camera was hit (camera had turned off) an SUV comes out of gas station crawling into the left lane to force me to brake and then waddled into the left turn lane I was planning on entering. Wait a couple seconds until I am past or accelerate? Of course not. I was traveling the posted limit, but it was still over a 40mph speed differential.

The video software I use is something I downloaded from cnet. Freeware called avidemux. The camera saves video in an avi format that tends to crash video editing software when I start trimming. Avidemux handles it just fine. What I could use is something where I can turn the audio on and off throughout the video. I can do it in a roundabout way but it's a pain.

So another vid, making my way through a pack of clovers to the open road ahead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoPERPS6Ic0
    Last edited by BrentP; 01-16-2012 at 12:57 AM.

I'm trying to figure out the camera issue.

I want something that will plug into my accessory power jack on my car, so I don't have to mess with batteries.

Ideas?

-Mussolini

I'm trying to figure out the camera issue.

I want something that will plug into my accessory power jack on my car, so I don't have to mess with batteries.

Ideas?
    Outside of a real camera system for a car, I don't. I bought a thing that plugged in to the CL and converted the 12V to 3 volts for the camera off amazon for $6. It worked but it turned out to cut out now and then. I am not sure why. I got an improvement with modifying the plug part to make more solid contact but it still did it. I wouldn't see the light go out and the damn thing was rock solid on my 1am power supply with a CLA outlet on the end. I figure the plug just wasn't good enough for the vibration in the car and gave up on it because plan B, harbor freight NiMh batteries were working well. And in the end was less hassle than plugging and unplugging the wire all the time.

I also had a problem of connecting the power to the camera because the camera didn't have a power jack. So I had to make a way to connect the wires to the camera. I tried a couple different methods but I did get that working pretty well.

I suppose if changed to a different plug wired to converter it might work. Maybe hard wire it to the car or use a plug tapped into the car somewhere.... I don't know.

In any case you need something that can take 12V and go to whatever the camera wants.

-Mussolini

That camera is a nice looking piece of kit - if it works as good as it looks you are on to a winner there, Dom. I like the rotating lens, very useful as you can fit the camera at any angle and just rotate the lens to the vertical, perfect for the 'bike. Don't think you'll want to fit the extending, multi angle arm on the 'bike tho'.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken View Post
    Don't think you'll want to fit the extending, multi angle arm on the 'bike tho'.
    Oh yeah.. I'll be using it on the bike for sure too!

A co-worker of mine has the older version of this camera and the footage it takes is absolutely amazing. I've been wanting something like this for a while and Brent's posts were the final straw.

I would like to get a shell for the camera and attach the whole thing to a boom off the side of my bike sometime. Get some cool footage of me hauling ass up the mountain on a fully dressed hog.

-Mussolini

Oh yeah.. I'll be using it on the bike for sure too!

A co-worker of mine has the older version of this camera and the footage it takes is absolutely amazing. I've been wanting something like this for a while and Brent's posts were the final straw.

I would like to get a shell for the camera and attach the whole thing to a boom off the side of my bike sometime. Get some cool footage of me hauling ass up the mountain on a fully dressed hog.
    It's way better than the the cheapo I use. Glad it's something you wanted anyway.... wouldn't want to be responsible for causing you to spend money all my own

Today's feature: www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gd78k_P3DUU

I'm pretty pumped up to get my rig and get it up and running.

There are too many situations I am missing out on video recording!

-Mussolini

Got the mount rig in the mail today and think I might have Eric sold on one too!

I ended up removing the passenger seat head rest, wrapping one layer thick of electrical tape around the metal bar, sliding the bar through the mount hole, and tightening it up perfectly sung. Then slid the headrest back on. Fits awesome, just amazing. I'll snap some pictures when the temperature gets back into the double digits.

This is such an awesome idea!

-Mussolini

Have fun with it... Most footage of course is boring... but every so often an example of irritating and/or dangerous driving is captured.

Today's snow clover:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pooF3Xy43mo

People who can't drive in snow need to just stay home. 4 wheel drive and this one can't manage even 20mph in a 50. I should have turned the camera around to see the line that was forming behind me. But I did my duty, I passed at my first safe opportunity. Made it all legal like with the audible signal