Thread: Our ruling class

Our ruling class

Like Target Field, a Vikings subsidy package wouldn't require a referendum

I find this hard to believe: In Minnesota there is a law that these types of issues must have a public referendum. However the MN Legislature has found a loop hole.

In the past all the referendum's have failed. So the County & State have found away around democracy - let's just make voting optional

Minneapolis is located in Hennepin County. The wealthy that own the bars, resturants, hotels - all want everything built in Minneapolis. So therefore we have a Convention Center (1/2% county sales tax), MetroDome (1/2% county sales tax), Twins Stadium (1/2% county sales tax). And now soon a Vikings Stadium(1/2% county sales tax).

Yeah Hennepin county will soon have a 8.25% sales tax!

All the out of county legislatures approve of this deal - but us people in Hennepin county can't vote them out!!!!!!!!!

The Strib:

Authors of a bill to use public subsidies for a new Minnesota Vikings stadium say their legislation will allow a local government to increase sales taxes for the project without taking it to the voters first.

By receiving an exemption from state law, the Vikings stadium plan would follow the same road map that proved successful -- though controversial -- in 2006 for the Minnesota Twins' Target Field.

Five years ago, in a move that may have been the difference between success and failure, the Legislature allowed Hennepin County to levy the countywide sales tax that now pays for much of Target Field without a voter referendum.

The outline of the bill, which was released last week, does not address a referendum. But on Monday Rep. Morrie Lanning, R-Moorhead, and Sen. Julie Rosen, R-Fairmont, said their formal plan, expected to be introduced later this week, will detail such an exemption for any local government that wants to help fund the stadium. "If they want to put it to a vote, they can do so," said Lanning. "[But] they will have the option" of avoiding a referendum.

Quote Originally Posted by dBrong View Post
    [LEFT]Like Target Field, a Vikings subsidy package wouldn't require a referendum

I find this hard to believe: In Minnesota there is a law that these types of issues must have a public referendum. However the MN Legislature has found a loop hole.

In the past all the referendum's have failed. So the County & State have found away around democracy - let's just make voting optional

Minneapolis is located in Hennepin County. The wealthy that own the bars, resturants, hotels - all want everything built in Minneapolis. So therefore we have a Convention Center (1/2% county sales tax), MetroDome (1/2% county sales tax), Twins Stadium (1/2% county sales tax). And now soon a Vikings Stadium(1/2% county sales tax).

Yeah Hennepin county will soon have a 8.25% sales tax!

All the out of county legislatures approve of this deal - but us people in Hennepin county can't vote them out!!!!!!!!!

The Strib:

So, let's just bypass the voters....who are the ones we are going to make pay for this grandiose stadium.

<major foul expletives....> The lies, corruption, and deceipt just get better and better~

What I have problem with is believing is that a 'newspaper' would say: "The differernce and failure". So I guess if the voters say no - then it's a failure? When the residents of the county say no, but the 'out state' people say 'it's Ok, then us residents, who can't vote against those out state people override us, then that's democracy in action!!

Five years ago, in a move that may have been the difference between success and failure, the Legislature allowed Hennepin County to levy the countywide sales tax that now pays for much of Target Field without a voter referendum.
    Last edited by dBrong; 04-05-2011 at 11:58 PM.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    Deys bees playin' feetsball n sheet mahhhnnn!

Serves the jock-huffers right. I just wish the non jock-huffers who don't give a damn about a bunch of 70 IQ gorilla-nosed thugs playing a game weren't also forced to subsidize this crap.

Post Taxation with representation?!

Sen. Ron Latz, DFL-St. Louis Park, said he initially favored a referendum for Target Field, but ultimately voted for the plan that exempted Hennepin County from having to hold one. "I finally concluded [that not requiring a referendum] was the right thing to do in the end," he said Monday. "I've got mixed feelings."
    Right for whom?

Who will ultimately benefit from this?

At least a road (infrastructure) can be used by all.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

'Many are my names in many countries,' he said. 'Mithrandir among the Elves, Tharkûn to the Drarves; Olórin I was in my youth in the West that is forgotten, in the South Incánus, in the North Gandalf; to the East I go not.' Faramir

What nobler employment, or more valuable to the state, than that of the man who instructs the rising generation? Cicero (106BC-43BC)

Do not meddle in the affairs of Win32, for it is subtle, and quick to anger. -D. Martinez