Thread: Tire Gages

Tire Gages

Any good, accurate tire pressure gages on the market.I have an old pencil type and a round type that doesn't seem to work accurately all the time.

Sometimes the needle stops at 20 , sometimes it stops at 28 lbs. Tires have wheel covers necessitating use of valve extensions all around.

Quote Originally Posted by ChevyMan View Post
    Any good, accurate tire pressure gages on the market.I have an old pencil type and a round type that doesn't seem to work accurately all the time.

Sometimes the needle stops at 20 , sometimes it stops at 28 lbs. Tires have wheel covers necessitating use of valve extensions all around.
    Hi, Chevy.

Sounds like your gauge is Kaput.

I tried to find an accessory shop in your area, no luck - dozens of auto repair shops though, seems like you live in Crash City.

If you are OK with mail order try www.jcwhitney.com and search 'Tire Gauges' or 'Tire gages', they have a good selection available. Looking at the pictures you can chosse the one that suits your needs best. Most gauges are accurate to within a percent or so. If wanting a dial gauge, choose one that has a display which has your normal tire pressure displayed in the middle to upper range of the dial. With the electronic liquid crystal display type (my preferred type) go for the one that will mate with your tire stems the easiest. Most LC units are accurate to around 0.5 lbs/sq in and, in this case, any pressure within the working range of the unit will be clearly shown.

HTH

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.
    Wolds Bikers, Lincolnshire, England.

I have the digital ones because I can use them one-handed. The Bell brand is cheap, and claims that is accurate to within + or - 1 psi. But, they give your readout in tenths of psi, so even with a + or - 1 psi, you could be pretty close.

The cheap digital gauges are surprisingly accurate.

Chip H.

Then again, it may be the way I am using the gauge that gives me different readings on any particular tire, I mean I may not be engaging the gauge squarely with the valve opening??

There is that possibily to consider?

Then again, it may be the way I am using the gauge that gives me different readings on any particular tire, I mean I may not be engaging the gauge squarely with the valve opening??

The gauge needs to be pressed onto the valve stem perfectly squarely so there is no trace of an air leak and suficiently hard to ensure that the valve stem is depressed in order for the gauge to read the internal tire pressure. I have a few gauges but go for the digital ones most every time.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

That is a possibility. I know that I always have difficulty checking the spare because it is mounted on the underside of the car. If I don't get it on there exactly right, then I get a screwy reading.

Auburn, CA & Reno, NV & Cold Springs Valley, NV

I own some expensive tire gauges and I do NOT like the as much as my analog gauges that cost less than half the price.

Here's the digital gauges I own.

The two main problems are batteries that go dead and they don't hold the readings very well. After you remove the gauge from the tire valve, the PSI reading starts to drop instead of staying steady, unlike my better, but cheaper analog tire gauges that don't budge a bit after removed.

A good analog gauge for cars is this one.

A good analog gauge for motorcycles is this one, because of the 90 degrees chuck.

-Don- SSF, CA

Quote Originally Posted by DonTom View Post
    I own some expensive tire gauges and I do NOT like the as much as my analog gauges that cost less than half the price.

Here's the digital gauges I own.

The two main problems are batteries that go dead and they don't hold the readings very well. After you remove the gauge from the tire valve, the PSI reading starts to drop instead of staying steady, unlike my better, but cheaper analog tire gauges that don't budge a bit after removed.

A good analog gauge for cars is this one.

A good analog gauge for motorcycles is this one, because of the 90 degrees chuck.

-Don- SSF, CA

My digital gauges both hold the pressure indication until either they time out (about 30 seconds) or until I zero them for the next reading.

I've just bought a new adaptor valve with high pressure CO2 cylinders for use on track-days. All I need to do is find a way of fitting a gauge and bleed valve into the adaptor - I have a couple of ideas to play around with but I need to find an outlet for pressure adaptors, chucks and hoses, not too easy in the sticks.

Ken.
    Die dulci fruimini!
    Ken.

Thanks Don,

That analog gauge looks easier to use than the one I own. Mine don't have that long rubber tubing.

I'll try and locate one at my local NAPA or Car Quest store. I don't want to order online if possible since the shipping charge..either via USP or Fed Ex.. probably will cost more than the gauge itself.

Larry T.