Thread: Cops Using Scanners to Get Your Cell Phone Info

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar

Cops Using Scanners to Get Your Cell Phone Info

Cops Use Mobile Scanner To Steal Cellphone Data From Innocent Americans

Paul Joseph Watson
    Prison Planet.com
    Wednesday, April 20, 2011

If there was a scintilla of doubt as to whether Americans are living in a predatory police state, then this story completely eviscerates it. Michigan state police have been using a handheld mobile forensics device to steal information from cell phones belonging to motorists stopped for minor traffic violations.

The high-tech device works with 3000 different phone models and can bypass passwords to process “Complete extraction of existing, hidden, and deleted phone data, including call history, text messages, contacts, images, and geotags,” according to CelleBrite, the company behind the device. “The Physical Analyzer allows visualization of both existing and deleted locations on Google Earth. In addition, location information from GPS devices and image geotags can be mapped on Google Maps.”

“A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes,” reports TheNewspaper.com.
    Michigan state police have been using the device to conduct 4th amendment-violating searches of motorists’ phones who have not even been suspected of any crime.

To add insult to injury, when the ACLU attempted to file a freedom of information act request to discover how police were using the devices, they were slapped with a demand for $544,680 from the Michigan state police.

The fact that Americans are now considered guilty until proven innocent and treated like terrorists by cops who have been trained that their role is no longer to “serve and protect” but to harass and abuse is fast becoming a glib concept.

The question really boils down to whether anyone actually cares. Most Americans couldn’t live without their smart phone and now give it more attention than their own children. We are being enslaved through our own overdependence on gadgets and technology.

As the ACLU points out, use of the devices is completely illegal as it clearly violates the 4th amendment.

“With certain exceptions that do not apply here, a search cannot occur without a warrant in which a judicial officer determines that there is probable cause to believe that the search will yield evidence of criminal activity,” ACLU staff attorney Mark P. Fancher wrote. “A device that allows immediate, surreptitious intrusion into private data creates enormous risks that troopers will ignore these requirements to the detriment of the constitutional rights of persons whose cell phones are searched.”

With the ACLU currently embroiled in a lawsuit against the Department of Homeland Security in an effort to stop its warrantless searches of laptops belonging to anyone who enters the United States, another legal fight in the case of the mobile cellphone scanner device is also on the cards.

If I'm driving, my cell phone is turned off. "Weasels" have been around for years to steal cell phone data. Just driving by a thief with a "Weasel" data recorder and he can get the information needed to use your phone when you aren't aware of it. That's why digital came along and encryuption codes are in all cell phones now. Actually, my phone may not be turned on for days, if not weeks.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.

First off I know for a fact this part is fucking bullshit:

“A US Department of Justice test of the CelleBrite UFED used by Michigan police found the device could grab all of the photos and video off of an iPhone within one-and-a-half minutes,”

I got pulled over yesterday here in Northern Virginia and the cop was actually pretty freaking cool.

Didn't get a ticket and he didn't see my V1 either!

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

Vulture of The Western World Eric's Avatar
    I don't know whether it is - or isn't. But I would not be surprised if it was true. Thanks to The Chimp and the lawless precedents he established post-9/11, we have no 4th Amendment protections to speak of anymore.

Glad you got away with just a once-over! What did you get pulled for?

That was going to be my question: Do these devices work if your cell phone is turned off?

Or, if the minute you see blue (or red, or yellow, or orange...) lights flashing behind you, you turn the cell phone off before you are pulled over?

Is there a distance limit on how close the device has to be to pick up your cell phone?

So many questions...

Quote Originally Posted by eesquared View Post
    That was going to be my question: Do these devices work if your cell phone is turned off?

Or, if the minute you see blue (or red, or yellow, or orange...) lights flashing behind you, you turn the cell phone off before you are pulled over?

Is there a distance limit on how close the device has to be to pick up your cell phone?

So many questions...
    As a software developer - I was guessing that it plugs into your phones mini-usb port, and sends the proper 'op codes' to request the data from the O/S in your phone.

Just a guess.

Quote Originally Posted by Eric View Post

Glad you got away with just a once-over! What did you get pulled for?
    It was for expired tags.

Right when he got out of his car (after making me wait like five minutes) I yelled "expired tags, I know!" He said, "enough said" and got back in his cruiser.

Anyhow, the reason I called bullshit on the cell phone scanner is because some phones hold a shit load of data. Mine has an 8 gig card it in and there is no way a wireless connection can pull all that data in less than a minute and a half.

But in theory, I think it's possible to pull a good amount of data. Just not big files and everything so fast.

"Tutto nello Stato, niente al di fuori dello Stato, nulla contro lo Stato "
    -Mussolini
    All within the state, nothing outside the state, nothing against the state.

I heard on both NPR and NBC news this morning that the Apple Iphone 4 records GPS data and stores it, even if you turn the GPS function off. I don't hold either source as perfect but when they agree......

Just another reason I'm reluctant to go all the way into the digital age. I don't tweet, I don't even text. My cell phone, when I turn it on every couple of weeks or so, is used to talk to people, period. I don't use MySpace or Facebook. I'm not about to let a rich man get richer selling my information.
    Honk if you love Jesus.

Text if you want to meet him.